Mister Phes

ReBrick "Name the Ship" Contest - and the WINNER IS...

I should have made your quote smaller. I was referring only to the theme park pirate expansion (the last two thirds of what I quoted, not the first third). As you can see in the link here, in post #5 of this thread there is a clear push towards Legolands having more pirates.

The PDF even has the names of the pirates they use at the park etc.

AB

Yes, that's what I was thinking of. That's for Windsor, Canada. But also here in California (Anaheim, right by Disneyland), I know I've seen advertisements about themed hotel rooms at that resort. They have Castle and Pirate themed rooms, and this is a relatively new thing (last year or so, I want to say... but then again time is flying by for me).

I submitted my names, and now the long wait... they say judging will end on the 30th of April, but doesn't necessarily specify if they'll announce the winner at that time, or even if or when they'll unveil the ship. I hope we get to see something, because it'll be eight or nine months at the earliest before we might be able to buy these, a very long wait for those who have long been pirate deprived. I wish at the very least they would stop doing 'themed' collectible minifigure ranges, and release one that could potentially include pirate related minifigs.

Hey, it just occurred to me, we're all speculating on whether this will be just one pirate ship, or a one-year theme, or a revival of the ongoing theme, but we have our very own Lego Ambassador who can try to find out for us...

Edit: Also, there's nothing to stop us going through the list and selecting 'fan favourites' of our own. pirate_satisfied.gif If there's enough interest we could start a thread for it, otherwise I'll submit mine here.

Edited by David Thomsen

Is there a precedence for LEGO to release a single brand-new set from a particular theme? I don't think it's unduly optimistic to expect this to be one of a new wave of sets, even if they only get a year or two like the 2009 revival.

TC

Is there a precedence for LEGO to release a single brand-new set from a particular theme? I don't think it's unduly optimistic to expect this to be one of a new wave of sets, even if they only get a year or two like the 2009 revival.

TC

Yes, there is - the Simpsons, so they did it just now...

Let's just hope this will be different. After all they did say few years back the Pirates will make a return.

The way I see it we're talking about an upcoming pirates wave that it'll be out on the stores early in 2015.I mean look at the facts,the pirate line released back in 2009 was out on late 2008(november-december) on some countries and the rest of the world early 2009(january) I bet the same will happen with this upcoming wave,after all Lego said that the ship will be out early 2015 and as most of as already guessed it's that an upcoming pirates wave is on sail for next year.Any way that's my speculation about the whole subject but I'll admit I'm dying for a new pirates wave since 2009.

Edited by LOTR343

Well, this contest gave me the kick in the pants I apparently needed to finally start a ReBrick account of my own, and I've just done so and entered the contest. I must say, some others have submitted some really terrific names.

Yes, there is - the Simpsons, so they did it just now...

Let's just hope this will be different. After all they did say few years back the Pirates will make a return.

Hmm, a fair point. But even the Simpsons house is supported by a new line of collectable minifigures, so there's that.

TC

Hmm, a fair point. But even the Simpsons house is supported by a new line of collectable minifigures, so there's that.

TC

I also think a large single set based on a huge ongoing franchise is very different situation from Lego Pirates... A single Pirate ship with nothing to support it would be kind of untethered. Even other large standalone sets, like the Emerald Night and the Horizon Express, fit in with City sets. It would be a very odd strategy to release a single standalone Pirate sailing ship, out of the blue. For one thing it would have to be a 'Creator Expert' set or something, and what we've seen so far is a brand new logo.

I rather liked "Red Beard's Revenge"; it has that triple naming thing going for it that's reminiscent of the best of previous pirate ships, plus the reference to Red Beard and previous real/fictional pirate ships named Revenge.

I was rather disappointed that I didn't think of the name Black Dog's Barque until after I'd already entered, though. ;)

TC

TC

Yes, several examples. One from Pirates in fact. 10210 Imperial Flagship. 10223 Kingdoms Joust. 10213 Space Shuttle could be considered a one off from the City Space line, etc. some of the Trains like 10194 Emerald Express or 10233 Horizon Express.

Those are true in terms of my original post, true. What I guess I really meant to say was "Is there a precedence for LEGO to release a single set as the only new set in a theme that is returning after an extended hiatus?" The Imperial Flagship was a one-off that year, but it followed a full wave of Pirate sets the previous year, and I believe the Kingdoms Joust was released during a time when Castle sets could still be found on the shelves. (Trains and shuttles are their own themes more often than not, it's true, but they both really support the Town/City theme that will always be around so it's difficult to draw a direct parallel there.)

In addition, this just doesn't feel like a special large D2C set like the Flagship or the Joust. It seems more along the lines of Brickbeard's Bounty. It also wouldn't make much sense to release another pirate ship as a special one-off mega-set so soon after the Sea Cow, even if there is a year between the two.

TC

In addition, this just doesn't feel like a special large D2C set like the Flagship or the Joust. It seems more along the lines of Brickbeard's Bounty.

You're making the assumption the ship in the teaser image will be the one released... At this point we don't know if that will be the case.

I could definitely see the TLG taking the route of releasing this ship as a highly detailed Expert Creator set targeted toward TFOL and AFOLs. Similar to what the Horizon Express was to Lego Train adult fans. The question is would you rather have a new Pirates theme with ~4-5 smaller scale sets targeted towards children that may be just as disappointing as the most recent Castle line; OR one epic brick built Creator pirate ship set on the same caliber as The Emerald Night? Just as the EN introduced large train wheels to adult train fans, its possible this creator pirate ship set would introduce detailed sails and rigging as official Lego parts. Which would you prefer?

Which would you prefer?

So it's like, if I had to choose beween the 2009 Pirates range and the 2010 Imperial Flagship, which would I go for? Personally, I would choose the Imperial Flagship... My favourite part of Lego Pirates are the sailing ships, the larger the better. The next best thing after that is a harbour or port town for the ships to dock at, so I'm half hoping that we get the Pirate equivalent of MMV as a D2C if we get a new pirate range.

It is possible that this is just a standalone Creator Expert set, but then why design a new logo?

So it's like, if I had to choose beween the 2009 Pirates range and the 2010 Imperial Flagship, which would I go for? Personally, I would choose the Imperial Flagship... My favourite part of Lego Pirates are the sailing ships, the larger the better. The next best thing after that is a harbour or port town for the ships to dock at, so I'm half hoping that we get the Pirate equivalent of MMV as a D2C if we get a new pirate range.

I'm in the same boat as you. pirate_classic.gif

More ships and sets like fortresses, harbors, or ports of trade would be great!

However, I'm a sucker for Imperial Soldiers / Imperial Guards and not so much for the pirates themselves.

I hope they have an Imperial ship if they release a range of sets for Pirates.

It is possible that this is just a standalone Creator Expert set, but then why design a new logo?

Agree. That doesn't make much sense to me.

I am expecting a Pirates line.

Oh, the suspense is terrible. I hope it will last. pirate_sad2.gif

When will the winners be announced?

Oh, the suspense is terrible. I hope it will last. pirate_sad2.gif

When will the winners be announced?

They say judging will end on the 30th of April, so that's the earliest, although they don't specifically say that the winner will be announced at that time.

New pirates... very exciting news! I would be happy with either a full theme or just a big 10210 sized ship. I just hope they go back to the old style jolly roger, or design a completely new one. The design they had for 2009 wasn't so great.