Mister Phes

ReBrick "Name the Ship" Contest - and the WINNER IS...

So we gonna ses the new pirate sets this year or 2015?...cos last was in 2009...far long now!

Well we haven't exactly been short on pirate ships since 2009 - Imperial Flagship, Queen Anne's Revenge, The Black Pearl, The LOTOR Pirate Ship, The Sea Cow, some Spongebob Squarepants thingy and even a Duplo Ship. It's pretty clear that Lego's strategy seems to revolve around producing at least one pirate ship a year no matter whether there is an actual Pirate's theme to support it (I guess they usually sell well).

Pirates 2015! That's excellent. One of my earliest sets was 1992's Raft Raiders (6261) and I've kept a weather eye for the theme ever since.

Here's hoping whatever comes will fit in easily with the 2009 theme and the collectable minifigures released since.

Edited by Mr Spielbrick

This is fantastic news (and that new logo is swanky).

Wait, I just found one thing against this. :S

It specifies "one of the new LEGO pirate ships sets", by that I think it means that LEGO will produce that particular set many times (like every other set) and give one of them to the winner, although I hope I'm wrong. :P If there are any issues to my point please point it out, again, I hope I'm wrong.

Erm... I'm not sure what you're getting at here. I think that's exactly what it means (i.e., that one person's suggestion for the name of a ship will be chosen to be the actual, official name of that ship / set, and the person who submitted it will get a free copy of the set signed by the designer), and I don't see anything wrong with that. What else could it mean that would be better than that?

Erm... I'm not sure what you're getting at here. I think that's exactly what it means (i.e., that one person's suggestion for the name of a ship will be chosen to be the actual, official name of that ship / set, and the person who submitted it will get a free copy of the set signed by the designer), and I don't see anything wrong with that. What else could it mean that would be better than that?

The thread has been updated and the conversation has changed from speculation to one of certainty. We know now we are at least getting one ship in the new year released as a set. The question now is will it be a theme? -the most probable answer due to the new logo is yes, we will likely get a whole theme.

A lot of us before knowing did not want to get our hopes up too far and be disappointed. Thankfully we can all be happy with at least one new ship.

AB

Edited by Admiral Blockbeard

This is so fascninating. I am so happy to hear that some sort of Pirate set/theme is returning. There needs to be a Pirate like theme once in awhile.

Well, didn't they say Pirates is an Evergreen theme. So it will always be around in some form basically. Now this new ship is exciting. I would welcome a new Pirates wave since LOTR/Hobbit are ending and the new castle line was disappointing to me. Although saving money is always a good idea too...

This is fantastic news (and that new logo is swanky).

Pen-kid was mentioning that "the winner will get one of the new pirate ships sets", I believe that he thought it might be a hint to a theme, but I found why it shoudn't. :P

As Blockbeard pointed out that most of us don't want our hopes too high, although I slipped a bit high before I found out the problem with Pen-Kid's point.

Well, didn't they say Pirates is an Evergreen theme. So it will always be around in some form basically.

I don't think they did. I've quoted an official statement from TLG a couple of times before, but I can't go digging for it now. But the basic gist of what they said is that Pirates is not an evergreen theme like City is. They did say that Pirates would come back again one day and not to worry. I guess this (almost) is the day they were referring to. (Or maybe they were referring to POTC. The statement was made some time in 2009/2010 after the Pirates theme was going away.)

But, I'm seeing this as a good sign that they might be coming around about pirates in general. I think TeufelHund nailed it in saying that they seem to find any excuse to have some kind of pirate / sailing ship set. :) It's just so appealing as a product. I'm just hoping there will be other sets to accompany the ship set. I'm so happy about this news, myself!

Also, I might add that they seem to keep adding or expanding pirate-themed stuff at the Legoland parks. Here in California there's a Legoland, and one of the new things is a hotel with themed rooms. They have castle and pirate-themed rooms there (maybe other themes too). I think I read this week about an updated pirate section at a Legoland somewhere else (think it was in Windsor, Canada? Not sure.) Point being, there seems to be increased pirate chatter out of TLG in recent months. I think a full-blown theme is a likelihood.

Edited by Zeya

This news sounds awesome! Hopefully this will mean a new Imperial Flagship gets released alongside the Pirates theme. pirate_laugh2.gif

Edited by Legoman123

I'm seriously excited about this!! I loved the Pirates theme and collected quite a few. They may be testing the waters a bit with the contest/new ship set before a full fledged release. Will be interesting to see.

Well, didn't they say Pirates is an Evergreen theme.

It seems to depend upon who you ask in the LEGO Group.

Here's an excerpt from an interview Gizmodo held with the LEGO Group (a specific interviewee was not named)

Every country has a different best-seller and as we rotate themes in and out different themes rise to the top. Over the last 50 years we have seen that Town, Space, Castle and Pirates are the evergreen themes that seem to always have a place in the hearts of Lego fans.

However, here is a statement made over a year later by former LEGO Representative, Steve Witt in September 2009 after the latest LEGO Pirates Theme was released:

Just so you know, Pirates isn't gone its on hiatus like every other line that isn't one of our primary themes: CASTLE, SPACE, and CITY

Pirates isn't going away, its just not going to be a constant theme. Its going to phase in and out just like every other theme that isn't one of those three. Everyone is freaking out just a bit too much on this one and I just wanted to reassure you guys that pirates isn't disappearing. Just taking a break

Steve

He didn't specifically use the word "evergreen" but perhaps its safe to assume in this context "primary" and "evergreen" are interchangeable.

I've just joined up, read about all this while lurking and am looking forward to seeing what they bring out :D always a big pirate fan, the BSB was my pride and joy as a youngster. Seem to be rediscovering lego at the right time!

HOORAH !!!

Well we haven't exactly been short on pirate ships since 2009 - Imperial Flagship, Queen Anne's Revenge, The Black Pearl, The LOTOR Pirate Ship, The Sea Cow, some Spongebob Squarepants thingy and even a Duplo Ship. It's pretty clear that Lego's strategy seems to revolve around producing at least one pirate ship a year no matter whether there is an actual Pirate's theme to support it (I guess they usually sell well).

I have the spongebob thingy on my shelves XD, i thought it was a cute pirate set and it gave you everything a kid needs for a pirate adventure except muskets...

I hope they make a full line, but also a imperial flagship-type set again so you could buy a nice ship instead of some small set like the brickbeard's bounty. It's nice, but the BSB was a much better example of a great pirate ship set. Instead of red coats, I hope they have blue coats though!

I've just joined up, read about all this while lurking and am looking forward to seeing what they bring out :D always a big pirate fan, the BSB was my pride and joy as a youngster. Seem to be rediscovering lego at the right time!

Welcome to the forums. The BSB is a very beautiful ship and many of us share your pride and joy. Hopefully the new ship does that legacy justice.

I don't think they did. I've quoted an official statement from TLG a couple of times before, but I can't go digging for it now. But the basic gist of what they said is that Pirates is not an evergreen theme like City is. They did say that Pirates would come back again one day and not to worry.

Also, I might add that they seem to keep adding or expanding pirate-themed stuff at the Legoland parks. Here in California there's a Legoland, and one of the new things is a hotel with themed rooms. They have castle and pirate-themed rooms there (maybe other themes too). I think I read this week about an updated pirate section at a Legoland somewhere else (think it was in Windsor, Canada? Not sure.) Point being, there seems to be increased pirate chatter out of TLG in recent months. I think a full-blown theme is a likelihood.

You might be referring to my first post in this thread where I linked to the PDF advertising the new Pirate section?

AB

Haven't logged onto eurobricks in months, but to log on and see this is great news and made my dad. Can't wait to see the final ship design and will look forward to buying it. Long live lego pirates!

I think it would be great if they made either another ship that is similar to the Imperial Flagship or a Pirate ship that has the quality that the Imperial Flagship had.

You might be referring to my first post in this thread where I linked to the PDF advertising the new Pirate section?

AB

I was referring to the quote that Mister Phes dug up:

... just pointing out that Pirates isn't the same status as City or Space, but it is still important and fans can expect to see it again one day.

... just pointing out that Pirates isn't the same status as City or Space, but it is still important and fans can expect to see it again one day.

Ideally LEGO Pirates should be one the LEGO Groups "evergreen" themes and part of the objective of this latest Ambassador Project is to make that happen.

Wow! That pirate flag looks a lot like this one http://wizkidsgames....-main-property/

I wonder if there could be a new theme based on the Pirates CCG ???

Uhhh no... The only real similarities are the black flag and some of the typeface motifs.

If new LEGO Pirates theme were to be based on Pirates CCG the logos would be identical.

You know- the BB isn't that bad after all. I read the review here and I actually grew to like it, just it would have to be no more than $85 if they want me to buy it.

I was referring to the quote that Mister Phes dug up:

I should have made your quote smaller. I was referring only to the theme park pirate expansion (the last two thirds of what I quoted, not the first third). As you can see in the link here, in post #5 of this thread there is a clear push towards Legolands having more pirates.

The PDF even has the names of the pirates they use at the park etc.

AB