Sign in to follow this  
lightningtiger

MOD - 60016 Tanker modified

Doing a little bit of shopping at my local Woolworths this morning and on the clearance stand.....one lonely 60016 and thought the tiger ah time for a modified tanker.

60016_modified_01.jpg60016_modified_02.jpg

Now I always wondered why Lego didn't design the truck like this, it's more realistic......what does everyone think ?

Oh, and this is going in my Avalonia City layout in May.......the other original tanker is now a heavy vehicle/machinery refuelling tanker.

Keep watching !

I just got the bowser built to go with this......note the display sticker show three kinds of fuel on offer so.......

60016_modified_00.jpg

Keep watching (not sure if the bowser is going in AC or not ?) !

I think I need one of this for my petrol station :wub: - it will run empty without a petrol tanker

I think I need one of this for my petrol station :wub: - it will run empty without a petrol tanker

Well, the fuel must get there somehow eh ?

The bowser will actually go in a different layout being planned that will be a rural/forest town in Avalonia.

Keep watching !

Nice stuff - wish my Woolies had lego on clearance :-(

44 days and counting, Lightning!

Yes, Tim......I know 44 days till the day dude ! LOL

I paid only 12 dollars for it.........beats 29 doesn't ! LOL

Now I always wondered why Lego didn't design the truck like this, it's more realistic......what does everyone think ?

Economics... I think that if Lego would let the designers go wild and release the sets how the designers would relly like them to be, we would either be paying quite a lot more for the sets or Lego would go bust in no time... That said, wouldn't it be lovely if Lego would introduce a line of more "mature" city sets? A bit pricier, but also more realistic? Then again, this way there's plenty of room for modding and for me, that's maybe the most fun I have with Lego...

True, but I only used a 1x4 brick with studs on one side, 4 taps, four 1x4 plates, two grille tiles, an extra 1x2 clip brick, a spanner/screwdriver, two 1x2 plates and finally two 1x1 clip plates. All cheap parts.....very common....indeed.

Maybe the designers need to chat to us first eh ? :laugh:

A few "cheap" parts per set extra times a huge amount of sets ultimately comes down to quite a substantial amount. If carmakers skimp on parts that only cost a few cents more, why wouldn't Lego? That's business for you... ;)

Ah, but quanities......the more need, the more made, the less it costs in the long run.

I would say, a hose string and reel assembly would be dearer than a handful of plates......right or wrong ? :wink:

I don't know, but the evidence would suggest that it's the other way around... :tongue:

I am however, pretty sure some of the "minor" mods I have made to some vehicles last night would drive Lego into bankrupty, if they had been original features... :grin:

Looking forward to Avalonia City. I'm slowly building my own town layout and it's way more difficult than I would have thought...

Well, I guess it up to us AFOL's to make the improvements eh ?

Yes, and might I say there is a big change happening again in AC.....one of the buildings is going for another to replacing it......I must hit LDD to design it. (got the idea only this morning and it's a mind blowing design.....) Keep watching everyone ! :grin:

Oh, yes and I can't wait to see what you have designed 'jfbat'.....Brick On ! :grin:

Nice mods lad. :wink:

Got two of these tankers on clearance sales at a local supermarket. Still in their box however but will get to them one day.

What have you got stashed in the cabinet? Gloves, hand tools or maybe a hard hat?

Thanks for the feedback 'T-K', actually nothing at the moment......I'll think of something......perhaps a clean-up kit for spills ? :wink:

Keep watching ! :wink:

I'm glad there's so many of us out there that rescues these poor lonely clearance sets. I'm actually afraid to visit department stores and the like out of fear of all the sets I'd feel obligated to rescue sometimes. :sad:

I love set 60016. I already own 2 but I continually resist the urge to get even more since I am an Octan fanatic. I can't imagine how many I'd purchase if I saw them on clearance. You did a great job making it more realistic. I use the flexible hose piece the exact same way on my fleet of 3180's.

Edited by Moebius118

If I come across a discounted one of these, I'm going to rescue that one too and turn it into a milk-truck. I definately need one of those. I think. Well, anyway.

If I come across a discounted one of these, I'm going to rescue that one too and turn it into a milk-truck. I definately need one of those. I think. Well, anyway.

Don't forget to post your milk tanker on EB........this would make a great contest......take a great vehicle and turn it into a greater one ? :wink: