Sign in to follow this  
Gabe

Homage to the classic space 918

During March i took part in the MocAthalon over at MocPages (kinda using it as a spur to get out of a building slump, really) One of the catagories i was handed was to remodel a pre-2003 set of my choice. I decided to remodel the classic space set "One-man spaceship" (set # 918) from 1979, as I had this set as a child and it was always one of my favourites - i can't count the number of times i pulled it apart and reassembled it. :)

918redux11eb_200314.jpg

I tried to keep the relative size, shape, colours and functions of my version similar to the original, whilst also adding more curves and detail. I am not really much of a space builder (haven't built a spaceship in years!), but i've recently been perusing the excellent "Lego Space: Building the Future", by Peter Reid and Tim Goddard, and i guess i've been trying to channel some of the excellent models in that book.

918redux3eb_200314.jpg

918redux4eb_200314.jpg

I do like the front-on angle of the ship - it gives a good view of the major design change i made in placing the engines under the wings.

918redux6eb_200314.jpg

I also wanted the cockpit to sit low in body of the ship, just like the original. It worked out well i think and is one of my fav aspects of the build. :)

918redux7eb_200314.jpg

I also wanted to add storage doors at the rear of the ship, just like the original model.

918redux10eb_200314.jpg

Overview, showing all the detail i managed to fit on the surface of the ship. As the original was a perfectly symmetrical model, i made the detailling on my version symmetrical as well. The yellow stripes on the wing are my small nod to the ship's bigger cousin, the "Galaxy Explorer" (set # 928); which i also had and loved. :)

918redux1eb_200314.jpg

Here we see the revamped 918 delivering some much-needed Bricklink supplies to a far-flung outpost of the galaxy! ;)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Btw, if there are any space builders out there that might have some constructive criticism for me on this build, it'd be muchly appreciated! (I'm not much of a space builder and i'm always looking to improve) Ta for looking peeps. :)

Nice take on a classic! When you put it on the landing pad, it looks fantastic! Well done.

Thankyou! :classic: Yeah i couldn't resist playing around with some of my old sets when i was done - good times. :laugh:

Amazing space ship, really captures the feeling of Classic Space.

I will be honest, it doesn't really evoke LL 918 for me, but I like it a lot!

Thanks peeps, glad you both like it! :classic: It is interesting how some ppl think it is a logical extension of the old classic sets and some ppl think i've deviated too far from the original design - one area i think i did fail in is the lack of "swooshability" in my version... it is just too fragile to zoom it around the room making spaceship noises! Sadly, it remains more of a display piece, and the classic 918 sees more airtime. :wink:

Thanks peeps, glad you both like it! :classic: It is interesting how some ppl think it is a logical extension of the old classic sets and some ppl think i've deviated too far from the original design - one area i think i did fail in is the lack of "swooshability" in my version... it is just too fragile to zoom it around the room making spaceship noises! Sadly, it remains more of a display piece, and the classic 918 sees more airtime. :wink:

Oh, I definitely feel that it fits in with Classic Space - I just wouldn't call it the 918 Mk II or anything like that. Give it its own LL designation. :)

Thats a really cool ship, its verly classic spacey however i feel you diverged from the original a little to much

Fantastic space ship. Definitely has that Classic Space feel to it. Looks great on the landing pad.