CM4Sci

Mixels 2014 Discussion

The style kinda reminds me a bit of Pokemon.

How? The style used here is a lot more goofy, and considerably more Western.

That is the silliest animation I have ever seen. Ever. Which is made even better by the narrator sounding so serious.

I find it somewhat odd that both brown (series 2) and tan (series 3) are present as Mixels colors. I love the looks of both, but going by Bionicle sales having both might be risky. At the same time a classic color like white is missing. Are they saving white for a possible series 4 or does this mean we won't be getting an icey Mixels tribe? Or maybe white will be used for the Nixels? I'm personally hoping for white Mixels in the future.

I sort of believe that the poor sales of colors like brown and tan in BIONICLE might have applied more to heroic characters than to creature or monster models... after all, Vorox and Carapar were both brownish in color even after the 2006 transition to yellow and orange for "stone" characters. And even though these are similar to constraction sets in a lot of ways, they are still System sets, so the typical rule that "brown sets don't sell as well as brighter colors" might not apply to the same capacity. There's a different audience and a different range of things you can build with the pieces — even if kids don't like building robotic-looking action figures in brown, they might feel different about bricks that are ideal for building anything from creatures to scenery.

As for why white is avoided, maybe it's because white is already a big part of all the Mixels due to the teeth, claws, and eyes. A white Mixel's eyes and teeth might not have as much contrast with the body. But as you say, it's still possible that white Mixels might show up in a later series.

The fact that the video suddenly stops midway with a distorted image makes it even more...funny, I guess. "Let's get Mixel!!!!" What the heck is that even supposed to mean? :tongue:

-Gata signoff.png

Edited by Gatanui

Awww...the widdle nixels are adorable. Why must you make such lovable villains, LEGO?

Just joking; I generally like the villains more anyway, and it has been more-or-less proven that it is impossible to make a children's theme's villain less interesting than the heroes. Plus, you seem to get one each per group of Mixels.

Anyway, the bulky blue Mixel seems like one of the more interesting sets, as apposed to the hilarious but otherwise uninteresting orange "hammerhead" Mixel.

Are the nixels going to be sold separately or is it like a one nixel piece per mixel combine thing?

Looks like I wasn't too far off with my Nixel Design. Though there versions use much fewer pieces. Mine was based off the cartoon versions. I look forward to picking up a few of these guys.

Is anyone else here feeling that this seems like a bizarre cross between BIONICLE, Pokemon and Digimon?

I don't see any BIONICLE elements

By the way the Nixels are positioned, it looks like Vulk, Krader, and Teslo will be the ones that include Nixels. Either that, or each Mixel gets a Nixel, or the Nixels are randomly packaged.

That's...what. Just...what. Especially the bits with the carnivorous smiley sunflower and the "murp".

Edited by DraikNova

And the end. "We fixed it... with a Mix-it!" *High fives*

But yeah, the sunflower was my favourite part too.

WHAT_THE_HECK_The_LEGO_Movie_T_dd217735242ba5b98a5a066f9ad8b1b0.gif

(I'll try to make a better one)

I knew there would come a day LEGO where would do something totally weird.

-Gata signoff.png

Edited by Gatanui

Considering some past goofs of extremely popular (albeit non-LEGO) series (a specific Spider-Man comic sequence comes to mind), I think this theme could survive the show's apparent weirdness, IF LEGO handles this well.

Edited by DraikNova

I talked to a LEGO store employee yesterday, according to what they said, the sets should be arriving soon. So we may be seeing them earlier than expected.

I am super excited for these sets, the characters seem fun and goofy, the small ball joints will help with building certain things, and creature building especially will be easier.

This is reaching Japanese anime stereotype weird, guys. :wacko:

You and I think "Japenese anime stereotype" very differently... :wink::oh:

I wonder how many of the Mixels are going to be voiced by Tom Kenny...

The sets themselves look excellent and I can't wait to get a hold of them!

At 3:00, there's a long shot of all the Mixels!

-Sci

Uh, the video's been taken down. Anybody happened to grab some screenshots?