13550595955_a8599d35ea.jpg

A trader brings a convoy of goods.

13550914894_42b276329f.jpg

Ageven tours the walls:

13550697143_ccb75f6672.jpg

13550912564_44b193f79c.jpg

Interior shot:

13550910664_24e2e3a784.jpg

Second house. This was something of an experiment, I do like the purple bottom, but it doesn't seem to work quite the way I hoped it would with the rest of the building.

13550917584_af0b37b702.jpg

Unfortunatly photographic conditions were far less than ideal. When I edited them they didn't look so dark but on this computer they're showing up pretty dark... I'm wondering if that's just the angle?

I'd also like to claim UP DoH credits for:

Wall Techniques (1/3 - for the purple house - , Architecture)

Life in Kaliphlin (Anthropology)

Desert (Geography)

Thanks for checking it out, I hope you enjoyed it!

UoP DoH +1 for all claims.

The lighting isn't very dark. Screen brightness might be an issue. The last image, though, picks up the reflection of your camera and the space behind it.

Nice build Kai! I really like the experiment with purple. It's great that you build the front, back and sides of the gate, and the figure use is very good. I like the quite brave dark red/red brown timberwork (I would never be able to photograph that). and the wall texturing. Lovely entry!

:classic:

I really like the different color schemes, mainly the purple and dark red. I also like how you used the technic 1x1 holed bricks with the 1x2 jumper plates for wall texture. Great build! :thumbup:

The front view is really amazing, that dark red/brown combo seems to work really well. Definetely something I'll have to try too. However, I'm not very fond of the purple building, but I guess that's just the female take on Kaliphlin ...

+1 UoP DoH for all claims

I really like the timber sections on the gate. I'd add some more gray plates to the stone section though (it looks a little bland). Overall very nice build

I like it, I think that the upper half of the purple building would look better if it sat directly on the base.

Edited by Lord Duvors

Gosh Kai, your builds are getting bigger and bigger! I had to check initially that it wasn't microscale. :wink: The front of the gate looks neat with it's stone and wood combination, it looks really convincing as a smaller, secondary "trademan's entrance" into the city. I'm also really fond of the blue building behind the gate, it looks very natural leaning up against the wall there, and the chimney is great too. The purple house confuses me a little - don't get me wrong, i like the colours, i just think they would work better as an accents rather than in a block like that. I also wish there had been some kind of window in the upper story - it looks like some kind of super colourful storehouse rather than somewhere that ppl would live? But good on you for experimenting - i do love seeing way out achitechture and colour choices, makes things interesting! :classic::thumbup:

I'll give you UoP +1 for the wall technique and Life in Kaliphlin - i'd like to see more for the desert geography though, to my thinking a few stacked tan plates isn't quite enough.

Nice houses, especially the one built against the wall. I also really like the hoardings on top of the wall as both the roofs and the dark red-reddish brown combo works really well. So generally, excellent build! :classic:

A couple of content-related comments however: I had the impression that Sultan's Gate generally was not built of any significant amounts of wood as that would be very hard to transport there and therefore expensive. I also think that the gate looks a bit hard to close? :wink:

I too would like to give you UoP +1 for the wall technique and for life in Kaliphlin. I have to agree however with Gabe that some tan plates is not enough to demonstrate mastery of desert landscaping.

(As a comparision, I was also denied my UoP credit claim for desert landscaping in Collecting the Venom of a Red Scorpion)

I like the combination of stone/wood for the gatehouse :thumbup: The chimney on the blue house is a nice touch, and it's nice to see you included an interior.

The purple stonework actually works pretty well :classic:

Thanks everyone!

UoP DoH +1 for all claims.

The lighting isn't very dark. Screen brightness might be an issue. The last image, though, picks up the reflection of your camera and the space behind it.

I believe you're right, it's looking good on this computer! Thanks!

The front view is really amazing, that dark red/brown combo seems to work really well. Definetely something I'll have to try too. However, I'm not very fond of the purple building, but I guess that's just the female take on Kaliphlin ...

:laugh: I do halfway agree there though. The purple should tie into the rest of the house, instead of... well, just stick out (especially with the back roof). I was really in a hurry by the time I got to the top of that house though, so I just used what I could find, without too much experimenting.

Gosh Kai, your builds are getting bigger and bigger! I had to check initially that it wasn't microscale. :wink: The front of the gate looks neat with it's stone and wood combination, it looks really convincing as a smaller, secondary "trademan's entrance" into the city. I'm also really fond of the blue building behind the gate, it looks very natural leaning up against the wall there, and the chimney is great too. The purple house confuses me a little - don't get me wrong, i like the colours, i just think they would work better as an accents rather than in a block like that. I also wish there had been some kind of window in the upper story - it looks like some kind of super colourful storehouse rather than somewhere that ppl would live? But good on you for experimenting - i do love seeing way out achitechture and colour choices, makes things interesting! :classic::thumbup:

I'll give you UoP +1 for the wall technique and Life in Kaliphlin - i'd like to see more for the desert geography though, to my thinking a few stacked tan plates isn't quite enough.

Thanks Gabe! I've gotten quite a pile of new bricks recently and they're really helping! Yes, like a mentioned the purple house leaves somewhat to be desired. I totally agree about needing a window... I was just in too much of a hurry to figure out how I would do that, especially given the SNOT brown (which made for a complicated interior!).

Nice houses, especially the one built against the wall. I also really like the hoardings on top of the wall as both the roofs and the dark red-reddish brown combo works really well. So generally, excellent build! :classic:

A couple of content-related comments however: I had the impression that Sultan's Gate generally was not built of any significant amounts of wood as that would be very hard to transport there and therefore expensive. I also think that the gate looks a bit hard to close? :wink:

I too would like to give you UoP +1 for the wall technique and for life in Kaliphlin. I have to agree however with Gabe that some tan plates is not enough to demonstrate mastery of desert landscaping.

(As a comparision, I was also denied my UoP credit claim for desert landscaping in Collecting the Venom of a Red Scorpion)

Thanks Gideon. Oh yes. The thought of closing the gate never occurred to me... :tongue: Yeah. Silly me! And you're probably right about the wood too. But I didn't have much choice; I ran out of stone at the point there, and didn't see what else I could do but incorporate some tudor style!

Thought I had commented on this already but I guess not. Really nice color combos used on this and the building styles look great! :thumbup: However the build makes me think more of the gate to an inn's courtyard rather than the gate to a large city.

Here's what I think about the purple house. The bottom section is from an earlier construction. Perhaps the bottom of some long ago wizard's tower. The wooden 'Tudor' upper part looks more ramshackle, and the roof seems to be failing. A poor person's addition to a once much grander structure.

In Sultan's Gate the new is built upon the old, but sometimes the new fails in quality comparison.

As to the idea that Sultan's Gate might not have much wood: consider that this city is not far from the Rakath Mountains. While they are not as heavily forested as the northern end of the range, the southern mountains do have wood.

Edited by gedren_y

Here's what I think about the purple house. The bottom section is from an earlier construction. Perhaps the bottom of some long ago wizard's tower. The wooden 'Tudor' upper part looks more ramshackle, and the roof seems to be failing. A poor person's addition to a once much grander structure.

In Sultan's Gate the new is built upon the old, but sometimes the new fails in quality comparison.

As to the idea that Sultan's Gate might not have much wood: consider that this city is not far from the Rakath Mountains. While they are not as heavily forested as the northern end of the range, the southern mountains do have wood.

That makes a lot of sense. In fact, that's more or less what happened; I built the bottom purple section about a month ago, and just managed to finish the rest of the house a day before the deadline! So it's no wonder it looks a bit ramshackle!

Nice. I like the roof on the blue house.

Thanks!