C0zmic

LEGOLAND non-production parts

Rarity does indeed drive the price up. However, I have found that most of the owners of the real interesting parts don't typically want to sell or trade. This I can understand because of the uniqueness of the parts but it makes collecting them a challenge.

That's true. We had an exchange about the trans-neon windscreen a while ago. I was a bit reluctant to let it go but had no specific use for it and would rather see it in used in MOCs. You have a fantastic collection of these parts. I especially like the trans-blue faceted panels in the first picture. That piece is pretty rare as it is, even in other colors.

It's interesting how many of these pieces seem to be in transparent colors (and not just trans-clear either). I wonder if there is a reason for that.

One reason for strange colours could be the switch over between normal colours or the end of a test run of a new die.

I worked in a plastic factory for a while and new dies had clear run through them so the parts could be inspected for bubbles and voids.

When the die is approved and a colour run started the old clear mixture left in the tubes would slowly over a few dozen pulls mix with the new colour until it became a solid colour.

I remember making Black trans VHS cassette tape housings back in the day. It took ages untill they became soild black.

The rejects where sent back to the grinder and added back to the Hopper on the machine but a few here and there got kicked under a machine or fell under the convyer belt and where found ages later when the run was long finished

Edited by Modelmaker

There's this windshield part that I like, in the LDD:

6152.png

However when you BL it out there, you only find this:

6152.png

But the thing is, the way it's in the LDD does exist, and I've only traced it back to 1 set (so yeah, technically not a non-production part, but a production part that no one seems to know the existence of), and only in light blue. I own one of them and it was really luck.

What's sad is that there must be several of them on BL, but no seller makes the difference (I've only once seen it referred to as 6152003), while it's much more useful without the bottom lip.

I would love to find one in pristine condition (I have a MOC that uses it), and if it's really from the 10159 set that it comes from, which is a 2004 remake of a 1994 set (6597), it should have more chances to be found in a good state than its old version.

Edited by anothergol

That are some cool parts you found! Especially the brown ones!

odd_95.JPG

odd_96.JPG

odd_75.JPG

odd_77.JPG

odd_78.JPG

odd_79.JPG

odd_80.JPG

odd_85.JPG

odd_86.JPG

odd_88.JPG

odd_92.JPG

Some of this you might have seen before (yes, I know the black 2561 pirate musket is not rare, it was a brainfart on my behalf), perhaps in the Monty Python LEGO Movie :wink:

I'm about to get a new shipment tomorrow, but as always I do not know what I get. I'll keep ya all posted ...

Cheers,

Ole

Yeah, I'm particularly happy about my two 8855 props (that's NOT glued to a 24T gear with a Technic brick in between!) in light grey. I've used those in a bunch of MOCs. A very nice part that TLG could have sold easily as a "service pack" and gotten their payback for that mould. The 8855 prop was never used again and it's the best large scale prop TLG ever did. What the funk were they thinking?

zux, not sure if you've seen these, but here they go (orange is not my colour, nor is purple - they'll go to BL sometime in the future) :

odd_43.JPG

Cheers,

Ole

It's really cool to see all these rare elements, it shows me what I can further collect. :grin:

I'm lucky to own a few rare elements, all gotten from Lego or bought from Bricklink. So nothing illegal or fishy there. :wink:

Thank you for sharing your collection!

It may come as a surprise to you but many TLG employees are also AFOLs. Some of them bought loads of stock from TLG back then. It might be different now, but back in the wild pre 2K times, it was pretty much "eat all you can for 10 bucks" sort of thing

Notice all the european BL sellers with huge stocks of rare parts? All pre 2K parts ..

TLG was a VERY different company back then. You're not likely to see the same flood of current parts in "off colours", nor wierd new prototypes parts

All the parts, 'cept the Nexo sheilds, are old school parts made 20-30 years ago for some set/project/park model TLG never realised - or in my case - prototypes that never made the production stage for one reason or the other ..

Cheers,

Ole

Here are a few pics of my more recent finds:

The unprinted Nexo Knights shield is from the February 2016 LEGO Nexo Knights build event.

All the parts, 'cept the Nexo sheilds, are old school parts made 20-30 years ago for some set/project/park model TLG never realised

that trans-black windscreen is past 2010, though

1974, those brown farming equipment pieces are awesome.

You have a brown visor piece in there. Is that rare? I have one, but I don't know where it came from. It would be awesome if it was a rare piece!

Amendment I: Typo

Amendment II: I looked up the brown visor, and it came in a Star Wars set featuring a Flying Snowmobile. Guess it's not a "Non-Production" part after all.

Edited by Actor Builder

that trans-black windscreen is past 2010, though

It may be, but it's not mine :wink:

1974, those brown farming equipment pieces are awesome.

You have a brown visor piece in there. Is that rare? I have one, but I don't know where it came from. It would be awesome if it was a rare piece!

Amendment I: Typo

Amendment II: I looked up the brown visor, and it came in a Star Wars set featuring a Flying Snowmobile. Guess it's not a "Non-Production" part after all.

You're right, it's not that rare. Funny thing about that shoulder yoke (the thing the purple dood is wearing) is that is was made decades before the bucket was introduced. And I have no brown buckets to go with it :wacko:

Cheers,

Ole

Got the wierdest anti freeze space part, a cool sword and a plate version of 6037 today :laugh:

Pics later ..

Funny thing about that shoulder yoke is that is was made decades before the bucket was introduced. And I have no brown buckets to go with it :wacko:

That is ironic. Send it to me and I can put some buckets on it for a photo. No guarantee you'll ever see it again past that, however. :grin:

Today's lot :

A tan octagonal plate that fits with the 6037 series, a brown smooth slope, an unprinted brown shield (unfortunally a bit damaged :sceptic: ), a brown 2x2 turntable and lastly a 12L orange Technic axle

odd_97.JPG

odd_98.JPG

I got a center slope for those end pieces I aquired some time ago. A nice part I think :

odd_99.JPG

A wicked sword :

odd_100.JPG

And finally one of the most Whiskey Tango Foxtrot pieces I've seen in a long time!

odd_101.JPG

It's trans neon, not trans yellow. Looks like an entire spaceship by itself :laugh:

Enjoy :wink:

Cheers,

Ole