C0zmic

LEGOLAND non-production parts

Sorry to bump a slightly old topic, but this is just amazing! So many rare parts!

I have ordered my first non-production part. It is a red Technic beam frame, probably a test shot. Picture soon.

(Actually it will be quite a while, ordered from a faraway seller)

I have a question regarding many of the non-production parts seen on this topic, particularly for @whitswj and @1974.

Regarding never produced "all new" parts (not non-produced recolors), do all or any of these pieces have part numbers molded on them? If so, would you think it would be a good idea have these parts 3D scanned and cataloged by unofficial database sites such as Brickset?

Something like that would be great, since unofficial Lego CAD softwares would then be able to adopt the digital files for utilization on their programs, giving AFOLs a chance to virtually build with these parts. :blush:

Thanks a lot for that information @whitswj:sweet:

This would mostly be speculative, but I wonder if any of these unreleased parts are copyrighted by TLG. I guess though that would only come after the part is green lighted for production. Then again, does TLG patent every part they introduce? :shrug_confused:

I know I have definitely seen patents from TLG in the past that cover parts that didn't get produced.

9 hours ago, jonwil said:

I know I have definitely seen patents from TLG in the past that cover parts that didn't get produced.

Do you remember where you may have seen these? Were any of them bricks that have been shown off on this topic, and maybe do you remember what year these patents were filed? :classic:

By the way, do you @1974 have a better standalone picture of this one transparent cone piece seen in the center of this picture? I can't tell if the part has smooth sides or straight, angular ones. A one brick high cone brick is a part I would have been definitely interested in if it were produced. :classic:

Spoiler

odd_19.JPG

@Digger of Bricks it looks angular to me or octagonal as seems to top a part like this. 

On 8/24/2017 at 1:32 PM, whitswj said:

I like the octagonal modified brick system. This is the third prototype mould of this system that I have in my collection. This will be good for classic space:

35969026533_98140fc13e_n.jpgPrototype modified brick- this is the inverse of the production part found in aquazone sets. by Walter Whiteside Jr., on Flickr

1 hour ago, samurai-turtle said:

@Digger of Bricks it looks angular to me or octagonal as seems to top a part like this. 

That's what I was thinking, but I thought I'd ask him anyway. I had just made a request post on the Embassy's part suggestion topic for such a part, and afterwards spotted that piece browsing through his Blacktronite site.

What I want to know is how people find them.  Basically, how would someone find out about them being for sale?  Do people just scour ebay and BrickLink constantly?  How much do parts like these cost?

From my LEGO acquaintance Michael Christiansen of Denmark (no relation to the LEGO family)....

Esso Petrol Pumps, along with a production Esso Pump set......

36967375466_a3bed310cc_b.jpg

These date to about 1956.....

Edited by LEGO Historian

I own many parts in unreleased color, but only existing pieces. I'd like to own one or two prototype pieces.

I have a question, why some store on bl with this parts (that are rare) have over 300 of them? 

When I saw those clear RR tracks, I immediately thought Ghost Train! Ice train is just as good a contender. Anything that is clearly trainsparent.

I wonder what theme they intended the Egyptian bricks to be used for...

My guess is they decided the extra cost of making those parts wasn't justified and stickers or printed bricks were better choices.

I found some 2L Technic pins with bushes at the end in rust, a color that it has not been made in before. I am not sure if it is just dark with age or if it is actually the rust color.