ED-209

Thor Dark World: Asgardian Longboat

I think I'm not alone in saying that I was disappointed that we missed out on any official sets based on both Captain America: The Winter Soldier, and on Thor: The Dark World.

So to rectify this, I made a MOC based on the flying Viking longboats the Asgardians are depicted using.

asgardian_longboat_01s_by_edward_the_red-d7c78yr.jpg

I'm quite pleased with how the overall line of the ship came out. The design could easily be adapted for a castle/Viking theme.

asgardian_longboat_02s_by_edward_the_red-d7c79il.jpg

The wing segments are each hinged, and joined to the hull by a ball-and-socket joint. This allows the wings to be set at a wide range of angles and positions.

asgardian_longboat_03s_by_edward_the_red-d7c79mg.jpg

Although not depicted in the film, I figured a built in gangplank/step would be suitable!

asgardian_longboat_04s_by_edward_the_red-d7c79yf.jpg

I also incorporated a clip at each end of the boat for the Asgaridans to stow their weapons.

asgardian_longboat_05s_by_edward_the_red-d7c7a0k.jpg

Really great design! I wish TLG made exactly this a set. Please make some more TDW MOCs!

Oooo! This is very nice! I too wish Lego would have made at least one T:TDW set (If nothing so I could just get some dark elves!), and this really looks like something Lego would make--granted its missing 1 or 12 flick missiles! Great job!

This is exactly the set I was hoping TLG would make! Two of these (One possibly Damaged with some battle-damage features) chasing each other! We could have got Thor, Jane, Lady Sif, Loki, and a Dark Elf.

Beautiful MOC, I love the design and all the features incorporated! Can you release instructions? :)

Lovely MOC of a lovely movie design. Great application of the printed slopes from that Sith Speeder set as well.

It was sad not to get Dark World sets just for the minifigures they would've given us, but one can always build stuff oneself, just like this! It's surely more beautiful than what LEGO would've made anyhow.

This is a really lovely boat! Great design and makes me want to build a Thor MOC right now!

Again, good job!

Your angles are perfect. Great build! I would probably buy this if it were an actual set.

Your angles are perfect. Great build! I would probably buy this if it were an actual set.

Agreed. Likely in multiples.

One of the best Superhero MOC I've seen.

Super Heroes really missed an opportunity here, especially when it comes to Fwishable vehicles, which is something I know is constantly on their mind.

Thank you everyone for such kind words! :blush::grin:

That's really cool! I'd like to see this made into one of those rides where the boat rocks back and forth.

If only Marvel's parent company owned theme parks... :laugh:

Beautiful MOC, I love the design and all the features incorporated! Can you release instructions? :)

I too need instructions for this great model! Make more stuff!

Instructions? Sure! Give me a little time to put them together and I'll publish them online. I might strengthen the wings a little first though!

One of the best Superhero MOC I've seen.

Super Heroes really missed an opportunity here, especially when it comes to Fwishable vehicles, which is something I know is constantly on their mind.

Thank you, given the quality of some of the other Superhero MOCs out there that's high praise indeed! :blush:

I'd even have been happy with the back-to-back rowboat style they've used in other sets if it meant some T:TDW minifigs!

My boat is probably a little too fragile to be truly swooshable I'm afraid! But I'm sure the boffins at TLG could have found a way to make something similar but stronger, if they'd been inclined. And those new Star Wars spring-loaded missiles would actually work really well on this I think! Hmm, might have to investigate that...!

This build is perfect! I was thinking about how many opportunities were lost in the lack of Thor: The Dark World sets, and was imagining how this would make a good set. You've nailed it! Why can't this be official :hmpf_bad:

This is one of the Thor sets I was really hoping TLG woud have made. This MOC is just wonderful, from bow to stern, I love this! :laugh:

Stunning model and an uncanny resemblance to the real thing in T:TDW! I only just watched it on DVD, and thought about how the flying longboats would've made a good set, and you've come along and proved it. Love the curves on the front and back as well, very well executed. Are you planning on making more MOCs based on TDW or TWS?

Thank you again for all the praise! :blush:

I still feel bad that it exploded in my hands....

Great pics Ed.

Still, that was pretty funny when that happened! :laugh:

And don't worry about it, I managed to rebuild it without a problem! :tongue:

This build is perfect! I was thinking about how many opportunities were lost in the lack of Thor: The Dark World sets, and was imagining how this would make a good set. You've nailed it! Why can't this be official :hmpf_bad:

Thank you! I don't know if there'd be enough to many good quality sets, but certainly two or three I'd think. Hard to know the machinations that take place behind the scenes: did Lego choose not to do the sets? Did Disney/Marvel? Were they being cagey about showing off the production artwork? Were either/both parties underwhelmed with the sales of the Iron Man 3 sets? We'll probably never know! :hmpf_bad:

This is one of the Thor sets I was really hoping TLG woud have made. This MOC is just wonderful, from bow to stern, I love this! :laugh:

I just really loved the idea of the flying Viking boats, and thought that the hybridised sci-fi/fantasy look they gave them in the film was really cool. So once we found out that there wasn't going to be any official sets, this was the number one model I had to make! :grin:

Stunning model and an uncanny resemblance to the real thing in T:TDW! I only just watched it on DVD, and thought about how the flying longboats would've made a good set, and you've come along and proved it. Love the curves on the front and back as well, very well executed. Are you planning on making more MOCs based on TDW or TWS?

I'm working on the Throne of Asgard, and am quite liking how it's coming along. But I want to make a physical build of it before I go public with it! :grin: Really wish we had a minifig of Odin now! :cry_sad:

I'd also love to make a Dark Elf "Harrow" ship (they're the fighters, not the mothership!) But it would be pretty tall and I'd need to figure out a suitable stand to hold it up! :sceptic:

I haven't seen The Winter Soldier yet, but hopefully there's some designs in it that would translate well to Lego!

So now on to business! I've put together the instructions, the parts list is at the back (in retrospect, why didn't I put it at the front? :wacko: ) I also added the 2x6 plates to the wing "feathers" to strengthen them. I should also warn anyone who builds one, that the hull is strongest nearest the keel, so don't pick it up by the gunwales. (In other words, pick it up nearest its base!)

http://fc02.devianta...red-d7cuzgn.pdf