Sign in to follow this  
Gideon

SG: Main Gate

Located on top of the Great Escarpment in Kaliphlin, the town of Sultan's Gate guards the only scalable path up on top of the Escarpment for many miles. It's main gate is a formidable fortress, with arrow slits in all directions and murder holes on top of the gate where stones and boiling oil can be poured onto anyone who's managed to drag a battering ram all the way up onto the Escarpment. Inside the gatehouse, all traders have to pay toll for their wares.

13498664984_0522d9cb59_z.jpg

13498288123_15b742f619_z.jpg

The old wall has crumbled in some parts, but has recently been repaired. The stonemasons making the repairs were not as thorough as the masons of old however, so the new section of the wall is not perfectly flat. The old door from the gatehouse has had to be walled up, since it was leading out into the air nowadays.

Together with the town module (more pictures here):

13498656424_ff7ded8ed0_c.jpg

13498848085_5513561f56_c.jpg

The orcs living at the foot of the Great Escarpment are strong porters, and a lot of the trade is carried out by them. The orc inside the gatehouse has stopped on his way up to pay the tolls for his goods.

13498268763_f5b474f658_z.jpg

13498182985_17696f0215_z.jpg

Lead roofing is used to keep out the scarce but heavy rains this part of Kaliphlin experiences.

13498165235_4685cfefb9_z.jpg

I'd like to claim the following UoP credits for this build:

• Roofing [architecture] (3/3, for the flat tower roofs with the tiled roofs in the middle)
  • Caravan / shipping by land [trade and law]

I had planned to put this on top of a cliff, symbolizing the upper part of the Great Escarpment. Hopefully I'll be able to finish the build in this manner sometime before I need the tan bricks again.

Edited by Gideon

Wow, very nice Gideon! I love this. The different textures and tan colors are great, and the crumbled wall is a really nice touch. I'm still taking it in. Most impressive!

The amount of tan is amazing. Great work with all the texture you've included. It has a very old feel to it due to your forethought to the new wall being built over the old wall. I particularly love the walled in door. Amazing.

Wow! That texturing is very amazing! The crack in the wall is a nice touch and the windows look great next to the earthen tones.

This is really great especially connected to the housing module! I can already imagine its imposing structure at the top of the escarpment.

Great job! I really like your use of texture and color. The design of the wall is nice too. It's relatively simple, but very practicle. :thumbup:

+1 for each

Great work, again! Again, this feels exactly how I imagine Sultan's Gate. Awesome job here. The broken down wall is perfect. And excellent idea about the orks being porters, makes total sense.

Wow, I am just blown away here.

Beautiful Gideon! I love the old walls, and the colours are pure :wub: . Wonderful lighting and photography, as always. Superb build. +1 all UoP credits

:classic:

Edited by robuko

Incredible! The textures are the first things to draw my eyes. Man, those are good and they capture the Kalliphin-feel perfectly. Then you begin to see all the beautiful curves and slopes, really contrastign to that worn down wall, adding a lot of glory and refinement to the build. I would be very happy with such a creation, but you went further, way further. That bit of crumbled wall, that corner that's broken off. The details like the stairs, the roofs, the little gate inside the building, the death holes... adding life to the gatehouse. And then that unique feel of history, with the layer on layer of bricks and that closed off door. Amazing. Keep it up

This looks great Gideon. I like your advanced windows and the way you incorporated the brick pieces in the gateway and the walls.

+1 UoP for architecture ands Trade and Law

Masterwork as always, Gideon. the old and new wall contrast is extremely well-executed.

+1 on credits

Once again a very beautiful creation of you. The texturing, the colors, the photography, everything looks great!

Hoho this is eyecandy Gideon!!! I love it! I like the crumbled wall section and the newer wall built close by! The two combined makes me want more of this Sultans gate!!

Really fantastic texturing, you make me want to borrow my brother's tan bricks and try some Kaliphlin stuff :thumbup:

The roofs on top are my favorite detail :wub: Great crumbled bits as well :classic:

Another great build here, glad you were able to enter these! Very impressive wall, got to love those crumbled sections! +1 UP credit.

Just stunning stuff here Gideon, i just love how monumental that gatehouse is - so solid and imposing, you really do get the sense that it has stood for centuries. :thumbup: The texturing of the walls is top notch and i love the addition of the damaged and repaired section. All the little details like the tollbooth, lead roofing and access stairs etc look so realistic too. I really hope you manage to add some surrounding cliff face to this, that would be simply spectacular!