Sign in to follow this  
Gideon

SG: Town Houses

Located on top of the Great Escarpment in Kaliphlin, the town of Sultan's Gate guards the only scalable path up on top of the Escarpment for many miles. Within the safety of the walls of Sultan's Gate, space is precious enough that most houses are built with at least two or three stories. This section of wall is built upon the old walls of the great ancient city built in the times of the Sultan.

The gatehouse

The old wall has crumbled in some parts, but has recently been repaired. The stonemasons making the repairs were not as thorough as the masons of old however, so the new section of the wall is not perfectly flat. The old door from the gatehouse has had to be walled up, since it was leading out into the air nowadays.

This section of the wall is facing the Great Escarpment, and a father and his son are spending the afternoon caravan spotting from the roof of their house.

13497840064_b52582241e_z.jpg

13497847864_1e45af0260_z.jpg

I'd like to claim the following UoP credits for this build:

• Roofing [architecture] (second roof of three, for the domed roof).
  • City scene [anthropology]

Edited by Gideon

Nice texturing; it really gives the impression of a walled city

+1 UoP for Anthropology and Architecture

Thanks guys!

What do you think of my new backdrop btw? Like the old white one it's a roller curtain from Ikea (Tupplur), very practical!

It was harder to get the colors right but I think I got rid of a lot of the reflections that plagued all shots with the white one, and for that matter when I was still using white bed linen...

Cool backdrop I think it works great. (I am still using bed linen xDD )

I like the new background. It adds a nice flavor to the pictures. And your build is simply beautiful. Great job!

Great job and the two different wall textures work well! The light/muted colors of the houses really evoke the desert. :thumbup:

+1 for both.

That looks great. THe photography, as usual, is great. I do see what you mean about the colors, they do seem a bit dimmer than what you usually presented.

I am glad you are getting those off-colors in there. I want to get some into my next builds too. I love the design of the corner coming together, it feels exactly how I imagine the city looking.

Question, how are the bricks around the dome attached? Also, I am glad more domes are showing up... I have a bunch to put into upcoming buildings too. I think that is something that is distinctively a Kaliphlin piece... (Maybe a little Nocturnus too)

Just like the gate, brilliant execution; I feel that the two modules together work really well, and illustrate how I imagined SG.

+1 for the credits.

Question, how are the bricks around the dome attached? Also, I am glad more domes are showing up... I have a bunch to put into upcoming buildings too. I think that is something that is distinctively a Kaliphlin piece... (Maybe a little Nocturnus too)

I'd say the dome bricks are 1x2+1x2 tan hinge plates attached to dark tan jumper plates (it's 3 studs long, so the hinge plates are alternated on middle and bottom). As for the domes, tan quarter domes (or arch brick 3x3x2) are just out in that color in the AAT microfighter that comes with 2. I found it decent in terms of parts for Kaliphlin.

What do you think of my new backdrop btw? Like the old white one it's a roller curtain from Ikea (Tupplur), very practical!

To be honest, I feel it's a bit too dark at the top. Not enough to be distracting, but... there

Great houses! The color choice is lovely and the dim colors from the photos make it even better in my opinion! (*IKEA trick noted*) :thumbup:

I love all those details you packed in, be it the structure of the blue house, the crack in the green one or the nice and subtle color variances. The gold highlights on the roof are quite nice, too. Also a very nice and simple technique using those headlight bricks to move the tiles inward..

To summarize: Stunning rendition of Kaliphin architecture! :wub:

That "tupplur" sure looks like the perfect background! You haven´t edit the background?

The moc is just wow! The angle on the wall and the house is great! The dk tan works brilliant with sand green! I like the windows on that house with the use of jumper plates!

I know I've said this before, but your photography is so excellent it's hard to say whether it's real or LDD. Just perfect!

PS: Since when do greenhorns hand out UoP credits?

The new backdrop works great :thumbup:

As for the build, I really like the muted color-scheme, the angle, and the different texturing of the old wall vs. the new wall. Neat windows and corner brick effect too :classic:

Excellent job here Gideon, I especially like the dk tan sticking out from the wall, great work! +1 for both credits!