eddmont

X-Wing 10240 Mods

After I had ordered the 10240 I found these mods and liked them so I downloaded the lxf files from earlier in the thread and used them to order the additional parts from BrickLink.
When I went to build them however I found that they did not match the photos so I ended up creating these 'corrected' files in Stud.io

Nose.io
Engine.io

Notes for the engine body mod:
- Build two of these as is then build two where the side cutaway is mirrored to the other side
- Don't forget that the liftarms need to be moved one slot out from the wing body
- The pins that attach the wings are all to be replaced with simple Technic, Pin 3L without Friction Ridges
- The Plates, Modified 2x2 with Pin Holes are then attached to these pins
- The Plates 4x8 are then attached to these plates
- The engine bodies are then attached to these plates, upper ones centrally, lower ones one stud closer to the body
- (In the io file the mountings are already attached but only to show the location and add them to the parts list)

Hope this is useful for anyone else who has come in late

Edited by Inquisitive

This mod fixes the huge problem with this set and actually makes it look good now lol. idk why the hell they made the engines so small on the official set

On 9/28/2020 at 9:51 PM, LEGODrongo01 said:

....idk why the hell they made the engines so small on the official set

That has baffled me for a long time!  Then the 75218 version came along and it seems like they finally figured out the proportions - with the same engine pieces :laugh_hard:

On 9/30/2020 at 12:03 PM, lowlead said:

That has baffled me for a long time!  Then the 75218 version came along and it seems like they finally figured out the proportions - with the same engine pieces :laugh_hard:

Honestly 75218 is pretty much the perfect X wing imo. Its close enough to minifig scale and looks great.

23 hours ago, LEGODrongo01 said:

Honestly 75218 is pretty much the perfect X wing imo. Its close enough to minifig scale and looks great.

Absolutely. That is the reason why I bought it to display it on my shelf.

Edited by NerdYoda

Hello,

I'm in the process of building the 10240 via Bricklink. Are the mods for the nose/engine additional parts, or do they substitute parts? In other words, are the parts in the 10240 I don't need to order if I'm using the mods? TIA!

Hey Morgrim, welcome!

The mods are not re-purposed parts from the original set, they have to be ordered in addition.  Well worth the effort, if you ask me.  Also, I would argue that there's several ways to modify the nose and engines but a good start would be the wheels that make up the intake of the more proportioned engines.  The remainder of the engine sections can be shaped using all the new slope elements that were less common when the set released.  Have fun!

Thank you @lowlead!! It's certainly intimidating. I've downloaded the io files linked above and exported a part list to bricklink, so I think I'm on the right track. Next thing is to eliminate any common parts between these new engines and the part list for the 10240 since this replaces them.

Much to my eternal shame, I'm not very good in creative endeavors, but I can follow instructions lol. Please feel free to point me to any further mods to this awesome build. TIA!

Edited by Morgrim

Nahhh!  Rip that thing apart and make it better! :head_back:

Below are some photos of my very simple mod.  From Inquisitive's description of the .io files, it sounds similar to what I did.  I used the white upper halves from the tanker pieces in the 60016 Octan truck.

Images are links:

ikMg4s6t.jpg
DyYFUPNt.jpg
KLacSwct.jpg
R7eickCt.jpg
otzeUC7t.jpg
qHbEuWOt.jpg
mSgdWGet.jpg

Edited by lowlead
Added images

On 9/28/2020 at 4:01 PM, Inquisitive said:

After I had ordered the 10240 I found these mods and liked them so I downloaded the lxf files from earlier in the thread and used them to order the additional parts from BrickLink.
When I went to build them however I found that they did not match the photos so I ended up creating these 'corrected' files in Stud.io

Nose.io
Engine.io

Notes for the engine body mod:
- Build two of these as is then build two where the side cutaway is mirrored to the other side
- Don't forget that the liftarms need to be moved one slot out from the wing body
- The pins that attach the wings are all to be replaced with simple Technic, Pin 3L without Friction Ridges
- The Plates, Modified 2x2 with Pin Holes are then attached to these pins
- The Plates 4x8 are then attached to these plates
- The engine bodies are then attached to these plates, upper ones centrally, lower ones one stud closer to the body
- (In the io file the mountings are already attached but only to show the location and add them to the parts list)

Hope this is useful for anyone else who has come in late

Hi this message is for Inquisitive. I have managed to upload all the parts needed for the engine and nose mods from your updated .io files but have a few question regarding your notes.

- the engine file shows a single stud w/ clip part not attached and wondering if this needs to be ordered and used?

- I'm a little confused on your steps regarding what pins need to be replaced and I assumed ordered in light gray to replace the set ones and why this is?

- I noticed the nose section from you and edmonts are different did you design your own or is this not complete as the file shows a few studs exposed and front different

Thanks