eddmont

X-Wing 10240 Mods

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

I think I finally found an engine mod that I like (in reality it is the only one that I have seen). Found it on another forum site. I made some changes to the original mod because I didn't have the right elements. If you would like a link to the original forum posting send me a message and i'll forward it. I also made changes to the nose from the original post that I posted here. I took the advise from some of you and made it a stud shorter. Let me know what you think. Suggestions always welcomed. Anyways here are the pics:

xwing1.jpg

xwing2.jpg

xwing3.jpg

xwing4.jpg

xwing5.jpg

xwing6.jpg

Lookin' great, eddmont!

Fantastic solution for the engine nacelles without the octan tanker parts - I wish I thought of that! There's so much versatility with all the new sloped elements, I'm still baffled that LEGO opted for that original engine design. I like your nose mods as well. I made a small Bricklink purchase just to get some 2x3 slopes - it provides a lot more stability to the leading edge of the nose when compared with using the three 1x2 pieces.

Either way, a vast improvement to the original.

Edited by lowlead

I also like the result. Can you make a picture of the model from a bit greater distance, to get a better impression of the modified proportions?

I'm not sure if this is what you are asking for. I can't move to far back, but here is an overall picture.

xwing.jpg

Lookin' great, eddmont!

Fantastic solution for the engine nacelles without the octan tanker parts - I wish I thought of that! There's so much versatility with all the new sloped elements, I'm still baffled that LEGO opted for that original engine design. I like your nose mods as well. I made a small Bricklink purchase just to get some 2x3 slopes - it provides a lot more stability to the leading edge of the nose when compared with using the three 1x2 pieces.

Either way, a vast improvement to the original.

Thanks for the original inspiration. When I first saw your design I didn't realize they were octan tanker parts, so I used the closest parts I had. These slope pieces certainly open up new creative options, too bad LEGO didn't use them. Now I can display my X-Wing and not look at it thinking that I have to change something on it. Thanks again.

What an inspired solution! I tried (messed around with LDD for a couple of hours) to find the right elements to create a larger engine with. However, I looked for a few larger parts and not your approach of approximating the shape using numerous smaller elements. The result speaks for itself, well done!

Any chance of a parts list for the mod - and possible an LDD or more pics to recreate your engines? :)

Cheers

M

What an inspired solution! I tried (messed around with LDD for a couple of hours) to find the right elements to create a larger engine with. However, I looked for a few larger parts and not your approach of approximating the shape using numerous smaller elements. The result speaks for itself, well done!

Any chance of a parts list for the mod - and possible an LDD or more pics to recreate your engines? :)

Cheers

M

Well mortesv, I also messed around with LDD to come up with a solution. In the end I gave up (more like frustrated as to why LEGO couldn't get it right from the beginning) and put the project on hold. It wasn't until I saw lowlead's design to give me a baseline to work from in LDD. Needless to say I do have a LDD file, but it is just of the engine and the original mount idea. When I actually built it I made a platform for them to sit on the s-foils (like lowlead's original design). The main thing is that the 2 technic beam that come out of the wings need to be extended by 1 hole so you can open the s-foils up properly and accommodate the larger engine.

Here is the link for the LXF.

If you have any questions just ask. I'll try to get some pictures of the they way it mounted.

Thanks! Any parts used that is not in the LDD - for example for the extension of the technic beams? Another question, is the models proportions still acceptable when making the wing longer?

Can you show a pic of the wings closed - want to see how close the engines sit together :)

Thanks again :)

Thanks! Any parts used that is not in the LDD - for example for the extension of the technic beams? Another question, is the models proportions still acceptable when making the wing longer?

Can you show a pic of the wings closed - want to see how close the engines sit together :)

Thanks again :)

This is what it looks like with the s-foils closed. To me it's not a big deal that the wings are now about a stud longer. I don't think it made that much of a difference.

13585535534_7d9c3c8555.jpg

13585211963_2ee421e095.jpg

As far as the Technic beams, all you need to do is move it out by one hole. No extra parts were used to extend it, just use what was originally there.

13585534304_dda03effb9.jpg

Here are some additional pictures of the engines and how the engines are mounted to the wings. The pieces used to mount the engines are not in the LDD file. I made these changes after it built it. From the 3rd image in my original post you can see how it is all connected together.

13585209313_ae0d9dfd9d.jpg

13585208113_7e7251b56d.jpg

13585160485_5d4ba0c05c.jpg

The platforms on the top wings are able to go right in the middle (as pictured above). However the bottom wings the platform needs to be offset (up against the wing) because of the s-foil mechanism. You won't see the difference once the engines are on.

Hope this helps out.

Edited by eddmont

I thought the original TLG version was pretty cool, but the engine size and the placement of the rear engine sections always really bothered me. You've done an awesome job of making the engines the right size and offsetting the rear sections. Those details are part of what makes the X-Wing such a unique and iconic piece of the sci-fi genre.

Marvelous!

Thanks, I hope I get to make this mod, because now I can't look at my stock 10240 anymore :)

Just finished mine and it looks awesome!

One problem is that the sides of the engines catch slightly on the fuselage, stopping them from fully deploying. Did you do anything to prevent this?

Nice MOD, eddmont!

Saw the original post on FBTB, and it's great to see even more pictures of this amazing creation!

You've made an amazing set even better!

Just finished mine and it looks awesome!

One problem is that the sides of the engines catch slightly on the fuselage, stopping them from fully deploying. Did you do anything to prevent this?

Did you make sure that you extended the wing by 1 hole on the technic beam? Use post #12 the 3rd image as reference.

Yes, nice modifications!

Some good ideas - think i must do the same on my X-Wing :-)

markus

I know it's been a year since this post was made but I was wondering if there were instructions of some sort or more pics (with some pieces removed) of the nose. An LDD file would be great too. I think I have the nose mostly figured out but further clarification would be great!

That definitely helps! Many thanks eddmont! It won't be until next month but I'm going to test a few minor ideas I had for the top tiles you had. I was thinking of using 2 curved pieces with some 2 x 3 plates underneath. If I make it I'll post a pic or make a thread. Thanks again!

Taking what I learned from eddmont and LDD and trying something of my own... I like what eddmont did but I tried to recreate what Lego did but "supersized".

Check it out: comments, criticisms, and suggestions welcome!

*Quick note: on the engine near the front are 3 circular plates in dark bluish gray...imagine them replaced by a 6 x 6 with 4 side pin holes Lego part #18897 (for some reason it's not in the LDD)

X-Wing Engine recreated.lxf

And here it is on an X-Wing LDD (I had to delete some stuff to make the size under 100k).

X-Wing modified 2.lxf

Edited by Cyanide-Tipped

I found this post after recently purchasing the 10240 set and have to say how truly amazing the mods are. This is now LEGO should have built this set! Now I can’t build the set as is an

As I am unable to open the .lxf files on my iPad and can’t download the required software on my office computer (due to security restrictions of my company) I was hoping someone can send me the list of all the parts needed to do the engine modification? I can’t quite tell from the picture (just need to make sure I have them all before building). Thanks!

P.S. I know this an old post but the mods are that amazing that anyone with this set needs to do this mod to do the x-wing justice!