Wodanis

Modular Police Station

Nice Police Station - in LDD and in brick!!! The outside has nice contrast in colors and architectual features and the inside details are fantastic.!!! I'm missing a Police Station in my modular city - would you consider sharing the LDD file? Brick On!!!

AWESOME work there 'Wodanis'......keep up the cool stuff there, though there seems to be a bit of drinking in that police station ? :laugh:

Brick On 'Wodanis' ! :grin:

Thank you. With all the crime occurring in City it is enough to drive the Police chief to drink. Haha :laugh: You will notice the one detective has a bottle from the criminal who was involved in a crime. :classic:

Nice Police Station - in LDD and in brick!!! The outside has nice contrast in colors and architectual features and the inside details are fantastic.!!! I'm missing a Police Station in my modular city - would you consider sharing the LDD file? Brick On!!!

Thank you for the kind words. Now that the detective agency has been announced my police station is certainly more relevant now. I haven't decided on releasing the LDD file just yet.

Would be great if you share the LDD, but at final is your choice to share it :)

Unlike all those TLG stations that look like a control tower with blue windows, This looks like an actual police station. May not be fair to compare a modular building with city sets, but this must have been a hard task, using white and building something that's not entirely stereotipical in design (like a police station). You've done a fantastic job, I don't often say this, but if that was a set, i'd go and buy it tomorrow. Did you consider applying for Ideas?

Edited by Sven F

Unlike all those TLG stations that look like a control tower with blue windows, This looks like an actual police station. May not be fair to compare a modular building with city sets, but this must have been a hard task, using white and building something that's not entirely stereotipical in design (like a police station). You've done a fantastic job, I don't often say this, but if that was a set, i'd go and buy it tomorrow. Did you consider applying for Ideas?

Thank you very much Sven for your kind words. I was inspired by some of the various police stations on TV I've seen over many years. I was contemplating putting it on Lego Ideas but I have to make a business case for that. I figure if they were to do such a thing on ideas they would reduce the floor size by 6 studs or so to condense the space I believe. Incidentally I can fit a police 6 stud wide van onto the second floor haha :laugh: I'm happy with the overall result as my elite police and police now have a proper office to work from. :wub:

This looks awesome in real bricks. Excellent job.

Thank you SeanJFry!

Job well done, love the details!

Cheers,

JJ

Thank you Jasper!

Edited by Wodanis

Hi everyone,

I took the suggestion and placed my modular on lego ideas. It was approved for publishing as of today. Please support my project as I know we could take this to the review stage! Aside from the modular museum I know of no other modular building to make it.

I posted new photos as well of my creation.

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/90855

That looks fantastic. Nicely done. Although it is somewhat interesting to note your monochrome color choices, which a lot of people seem to make. Everyone assumes that Police Stations or Precinct houses from that mid century time period are imposing stone edifices of grey's. But here's the thing. They actually aren't. They can be quite varied in color. We just tend to think of them as grey and imposing because we mostly mentally picture them from older movies and television. older Black and White movies. While in truth they more often than not can be quite colorful. And note this same thing happened when we got the first pictures of the Detectives Office. Everyone complained because of the bright colors. But the bright colors are actually real world accurate. Everyone thought it was wrong because we all are so ingrained to think of Detective Offices from Black and White Film Noir movies that the real appearance seems strange to us.

l.jpg

298-Classon-88th-1.jpg

or how about this? (I think a modular of this would be so off the wall cool)

153PctPCtrim%20(Custom).jpg

This is just one of those fascinating ways in which everybodies perceptions of the world tend to be universally wrong. One of the best books on Model Railroading I ever read encouraged the modeler to go out into their town, step back and actually look at the buildings. To actually look up, as they tended to simply fill in the space with their mental preconceptions. Instead look at what is really there, and you end up amazed. Humans are very weird animals.

These are nice examples Faefrost. What colour do you think would be the brick work? Medium Dark Flesh, Dark Flesh, Dark Tan or Sand Red?

These are nice examples Faefrost. What colour do you think would be the brick work? Medium Dark Flesh, Dark Flesh, Dark Tan or Sand Red?

It would depend on the building. The top one is the NYPD 25 TH precinct which I have always pictured as a near perfect building to translate to modular form. I think for it the brick would be either Dark Orange or Medium Flesh, with tan trim and blue windows. I would actually say the building probably is closest to Dark Orange. But to actually use it might make it look a little too similar to the TH.

The second building would probably work with dark orange, reddish brown or even dark red. You will not find a perfect match for it in Lego's pallet, but any of those would give an interesting and effective result I think. Especially if blended with the unconventional dark bluish gray trim color.

I like the first image you posted of the New York precinct Faefrost. It's colour scheme is pretty sharp and could be done as a modular quite easily. I looked at bunch of various police stations in North America and Europe. They are quite different comparatively.

Actually my monotone colour scheme was in emulation of the previous police stations TLG has produced. I wanted consistency and I do like the tone change from dark grey to white. Monotones also make it much easier to ascent with colours. You are correct though, all too often we as people just gloss over a building without truly looking at it. The human mind tends to edit out things. It makes it easier for the mind to assimilate, categorize and comprehend what's around us.

Aside from my modular gas station this was the first actual modular building I created from scratch into reality. I'm pretty happy with my final product as are my elite police for having a home now. :laugh: At this moment I have gained 167 supporters in the past two days. I really want to reach 10000. I think it can get there as long as I continue to gain support. :wub:

Edited by Wodanis

Well, there are 18 days to go on the project. I thought I would share the update.

"I would like to thank everyone who supported my project for their support. I have been very happy to hear people's positive comments over the past year and half and I am glad it has managed to get this far. It is difficult to get a project like mine noticed when so many other projects based on television shows or over the top creations hogs the spotlight. I think Lego Ideas has been steadily skewed by such projects in that way. I prefer actual non-license works, original creations. I think that is the true spirit of Lego Ideas.

In terms of my building, I made a few minor modifications such as altering the sewer grates to mirror other modular buildings and adjusting the lights on the third floor as well as reversing the slopes on the second floor columns. I also redesigned the structure on the third floor to be stronger. This meant ordering a few more parts to strengthen the facade.

It was an interesting project I set for myself and you should see it sitting next to my Town Hall. It actually is taller! It looks great beside the Fire Brigade and Green Grocer too. I had hoped to share it with everyone but at least I have my own copy. My batch of officers have a home of their own."

I think next go around I will try a smaller project. :wink:

Edited by Wodanis

Hi Wodanis,

the building with everything on it is absolutely a great wannahave, but...

...looking at your pics on Lego ideas, i was thinking about the windows on the side.

If you connect another modular on either side, then a window is pretty pointless don't you think? :p

Cheers, JJ