I really don't see why people keep saying that the storyline is complicated. Not much has really happened since you left off, Legonardo. There was a civil war in Nocturnus, you participated in that. Nothing much has happened since.

Maybe complicated is the wrong word, but for someone who's significantly dropped out in activity it looks confusing, lots of mini challenges and quests and such. If I were active and caught up on the last 2 3 months I'd probably find everything just as simple as before, but I'm not getting much time.I'll probably Ber back when school thins out a bit but for now that's the case.

Back to pirates pirate_wink.gif

If I were active and caught up on the last 2 3 months

There isn't anything that is required to catch up on and that is the beauty of GoH's simplicity. I probably have less time than you and I never get lost when I come back after a few weeks of absence. And I rarely go back and read old posts and topics that I missed when I was gone. If its not on the front page, I will probably never see it.

I still think GoH should be more accepting of pirate builds. I don't know any Lego castle fan that doesn't enjoy looking at a good pirate build so I can't understand the line that seems to be drawn and I think the division really prohibits some great things from happening. But since I seem to be in the minority the best thing I can do for my cause is to start posting piratey builds for GoH and just ignore the flak I'll be getting.

I like the idea of three factions. Four seems like one too many in GoH, based on participation. But given the subject matter in the pirates forum, wouldn't the majority of builders want to participate as pirates? Having two factions of red/blue/armada may be one too many.

Maybe complicated is the wrong word, but for someone who's significantly dropped out in activity it looks confusing, lots of mini challenges and quests and such. If I were active and caught up on the last 2 3 months I'd probably find everything just as simple as before, but I'm not getting much time.I'll probably Ber back when school thins out a bit but for now that's the case.

Back to pirates pirate_wink.gif

I didn't mean to come off as picking on you for saying this -- I just keep reading it from a lot of people, and was a little shocked when I saw it from you, since in the past you have been one of the strongest builders and most active at times.

I like the idea of three factions. Four seems like one too many in GoH, based on participation. But given the subject matter in the pirates forum, wouldn't the majority of builders want to participate as pirates? Having two factions of red/blue/armada may be one too many.

You'd be pretty surprised how many loyal red and bluecoats we have in this forum. default_blink.gif

I personally would want to join the redcoats, only because I have an abundance of them and they're all around better than the blues. default_tong.gif

There isn't anything that is required to catch up on and that is the beauty of GoH's simplicity. I probably have less time than you and I never get lost when I come back after a few weeks of absence. And I rarely go back and read old posts and topics that I missed when I was gone. If its not on the front page, I will probably never see it.

I still think GoH should be more accepting of pirate builds. I don't know any Lego castle fan that doesn't enjoy looking at a good pirate build so I can't understand the line that seems to be drawn and I think the division really prohibits some great things from happening. But since I seem to be in the minority the best thing I can do for my cause is to start posting piratey builds for GoH and just ignore the flak I'll be getting.

I think the reason the pirate forum wants their own thing is because Guilds of Historica is very much drenched in high fantasy. You've got elves and dwarfs and orcs and sorcery, and putting them next to redcoats and islanders can look a little... weird. At least in my opinion. I'm fine with mythical creatures in my pirate builds, but more along the lines of what the beliefs were back during the Golden Age of Piracy. Mermaids, giant sea monsters, ghost ships and the like. I'm not holding you back, it's just in my opinion I don't think the two mesh well together. default_shrug_oh_well.gif

I think the reason the pirate forum wants their own thing is because Guilds of Historica is very much drenched in high fantasy. You've got elves and dwarfs and orcs and sorcery, and putting them next to redcoats and islanders can look a little... weird. At least in my opinion. I'm fine with mythical creatures in my pirate builds, but more along the lines of what the beliefs were back during the Golden Age of Piracy. Mermaids, giant sea monsters, ghost ships and the like. I'm not holding you back, it's just in my opinion I don't think the two mesh well together. default_shrug_oh_well.gif

Simple is always better than complex.

Go for three simple areas along the lines of:

• The Islands - places where Pirates hide, cannibals lurk, treasure is buried, etc...
  • Home Port - somewhere vaguely European, eg. London, Amsterdam
  • The High Seas - ships at sea, battles at sea, lost at sea and monsters from the deep

Yes certainly! We're currently developing things further with a small team.

There will most likely be 4 different factions (2 "imperials", 1 pirates and 1 merchants) and we've also chosen the faction leaders. In a hidden sub-forum we're currently developing their background stories, the maps and everything else.

So that's where we're currently working on, and soon we'll spend more time on all the rules and how to play in this "factions-game". We're also thinking of faction tags and logos.

I can't tell you much more yet because we're still developing and I don't want to spoil too much.

The launch of this is depended a bit on Guilds of Historica and on the progress of the development but it seems to be somewhere in june.

I'll try to keep you informed!

Holy moly, four factions! Seems you're not going to do things by halves pirate_oh.gifthumbup.gif

Very excited, I just hope there's going to be some many even more than many spoilers along the way. pirate_satisfied.gif Hmm... could it be that merchants work in every corner of the ship?! Who knows...

Anyway, I wish you all the best of success for this epic undertaking you're facing!

And, well, I think it's about time then that... summer is coming! *smileywithshades*

Awesome! That is great news! I am looking forward to this kicking off!

(Is there anyway the rest of us can still help/be involved?)

Edited by Comrade Commander

Awesome! That is great news! I am looking forward to this kicking off!

(Is there anyway the rest of us can still help/be involved?)

Absolutely, we will need members in each faction that are willing to step up and suggest ideas for mini-challenges, new ideas for goals for each faction, and even perhaps "campaign planning." That last one hasn't made it in yet, but we have talked about ways that people may be fighting wars. Additionally, most factions have already come up with some mid-level leadership positions that members can earn. (AC, I hope these extra spoilers were OK)

I will join the bluecoat faction (if there is one, which i certainly think) and be a great land builder

Edited by LegoPanda

I think this would be fun to join. I don't frequent pirate builds often at all, but after that team contest (And with my ever growing collection) I feel it might be fun to try out. I did participate in GoH a bit, although I keep falling out of it; I think the large (seemingly) complicated storyline didn't help; so perhaps joining this from the start would help that problem.

Granted now the biggest problem is choosing which faction to join!

There should really be no problem. Nothing beats the freedom and a free bottle of rum served in Tortuga for every pirate member!

P.S.: If I remember corectly you don't have any redcoats ;)

my friend Yawgmoth told me about this topic, long time ago... and I've past the last two hours trying to read everything... is a long post

the topic is more mature, and clearly, get back to the bottom to discuss past things is not needed

but, the things I understand were:

- not GOH... we pirates wants another thing!

- factions.... imperials and pirates... islanders are NPC...... I think if pirates would be a faction, they need a pirate codex and a pirate king

- fantasy or reality: mmm both or neither... I mean, anyone is familiar with the game "Arcanum of steamworks and magick obscura"?... in that game you can choose if you use magic or technology (and here, in the pirates forum, we can "split" between "realms" of reality and the underworld... those who worship the voodoo and those who won't)... so both parts can coexist without interfering in the same realm, having two dimensions in the same place

- game interaction: mmm seems that in the secrets panels have the main idea

if my "executive summary" is clearly enough, and seems that I understand the idea, give a " :thumbup: "... if not, slap me in the face and give me an explanation...

anyhow, I'm putting my mark on the signature papers and once more, forward to be enlisted in the Bluecoats Army

but, the things I understand were:

- not GOH... we pirates wants another thing!

Hmm, is it? I don't know, but I still hope for some sort of grand unifying approach to the matter...

Anyway, it's been two weeks since the last teaser bit, any chance for another one or a status update along the long long way?

Best of success to the team!

Regards

I too would like a status update. I also wish I'd seen this earlier on in development but I wasn't a member of EB til April. I would have liked to be one of the people in that secret thread helping to plan things, but I'm a relative newcomer so here I be.

I would definitely be interested, however I also think that we shouldn't make it an exact copy of GoH.

As for ideas regarding it, if we're following the 4 different guilds idea, I suggest we do it like so:

-Caribbean pirates (and privateers?)

-Islanders (this could be aztec, maya, or just fictional)

-Imperials (within this guild would be red coats, blue coats, etc)

-Barbary corsairs (pirates from North Africa, Mediterranean, Ottomans, etc.)

Or if the corsairs would just go under a broad pirates guild we could also do a merchant guild. However, I think separating the pirates into regions/cultures would be good. If we didn't we would have guys like blackbeard in the same guild with ottomans, which culturaly are quite a bit different. If you look at GoH they're not separated by occupation or social class, it's by culture/location. I suppose what I'm suggesting is if we were to do this, I say we divide the guilds by location/culture, not so much by specific occupation.

I have read this thread through and I like what I have learned, it's all nice ideas and I would love to participate once it's put in place.

Stay patient mateys, things will happen at some point ...

That's awesome, Kabel, but I do wish we were all allowed behind the curtain.