Mixing both "RPG Guilds" wouldnt be too attracting to me I guess.

Last, but not least, Pirates need a pump in my opinion, not only in people or MOCs, but in interest in the theme itself ...

The idea of RPG is something to add to the value of the game. It's there and people can use it (adjust their character according to it, do different things at different level and so on ...) or you could just have your XP numbers grow and ignore them. Noone's gonna tell you you're not allowed to build something, unless there's a challange with certain limitations, which is always fun. But you can still skip it if you don't like the idea and make a freebuild with similar content ...

It's something like achivements built in almost every recent computer game. And yes, I'd add those too! Some people play the game just to hunt all of the achievements doen whilst others play it for the storyline, gamplay, graphics and simply ignore the achievements.

The game might get some interest into this forum, but I'm afraid it'd end too fast. Many people said it was GoH that lured them away from here, but I don't think it's just for the fact that something's happening. I believe that the point is that GoH has a lot of potential for different builds. I've always found this forum a bit too narrow minded. And still most of you active in this forum recommend the Bluecoat, Redcoat, pirates and islanders fractions? But there is so much more to the pirates than that even in real world, let alone we add some fantasy factor. And if we mix that with castles the possibilities become that much bigger!

Sadly I think that the only pump for this forum would be that TLG releases new pirate themed sets. I believe that LOTR is mostly responsible for the history forum to be more active. Even though some don't like the theme, everyone likes to build with something new. And there hasn't been anything new for pirates for far too long!

i don't think they should become one, i think it should be a separate thing on its own (otherwise i would have to change guild, and i don't want to leave mitgardia)

Well my idea would be to create something new and not joining GoH with the pirates game we're talking about.

I think that we should not consider the number of participants as a static amount to be shared between GoH, LCC and other "massive multi-builder online roleplaying games". Instead I think that the more this scene grows, the more builders will give it a try and as ZC demonstrates develop their skills in building and "playing" in this way.

Of course some core people might be "lost" to the other worlds but new people who are coming in might very well step up to be vital parts of the core GoH membership for years to come.

The idea of a joint GoH-pirate world is not very appealing if you ask me, as GoH would be forced way out of the medieval/high fantasy setting that has been so successful so far and has an almost infinite amount of untapped potential still.

Of course the number of participants is not static, yet still I believe there's not much chance in growth of active participants. Yes some new might come but also some might get fed up or just loose interest or time. And the less activity there is in the game, the faster people loose interest. So the main problem is that having too long gaps between main chalanges is that most people that are not in both games will get bored since others will build for the other game. There's also a problem of organization. Two games take more time or more people, or both, to maintain. We all saw the inactivity of guild leaders after time and that is bad for the game. They got switched and things got better, but are there enough people to have two games?

Also another thing is that GoH curently has most of the good and active builders. There you can improve and get a lot of feedback, whilst for example in SoNE I really miss all that. It's important that the guild leaders are very active and that their builds are at least somewhere above average. And I doubt that current leaders would sacrifice more time to help with another game, but there's not many left I can see in that role that are not already part of GoH.

So one of the reasons I don't like Guilds of Historica is that I cannot compete with the builders there. I don't have the skill, or the bricks, to make a halfway decent build when stacked against the massive castles that are created.

Since I am a landlubber, and this forum is more geared towards building fleets, my builds tend to be more on an equal setting IMO.

I understand that one point of all this is to grow and improve us as builders, but I just want to have fun and I don't want people to critique my build just because it does not have a refined border/base (which seems to pretty much be required now in the historic forum).

So I think two games would work well because it would allow the master land builders to grow empires in GoH, and let the less experienced hone skills here, while the master ship builders can own the seas here, and the less experienced ship builders improve their skills in GoH.

This forum just has a better appreciation for simpler MOCs that still tell a good story, so the game would have a different atmosphere.

Edit: Don't get me wrong, I still like GoH, I just hope you get my point. Compare the land MOCs in this forum vs the land MOCs in GoH.

That is a funny one! I really think that GoH nor any other game if it comes along should be mainly considered as competition. Of course everyone likes competing, but as ZC demonstrated the progress of the skill in various builders, I think that should be the main goal of the game. Plus to have fun and all that ...

And why is it that this forum has a better appreciation for simpler MOCs? Because it's all it gets. Apart from some excellent ships there's not much to see here. There goes the narrow mindness again. There's so much more to pirates then just ships. I too am more of a landlubber (even in SoNE I only build terrain or structures) so I miss those kind of MOCs here. The problem in ships I think is that they are big and take time. As if in history forum everyone would build castles on at least 48 stud plates. And if there's anything I'd like to see here, is some land pirate MOCs built at the skill level, that some of the better GoH participants are currently showing!

I have to admit, I'm a little torn between opinions here.

It seems the general question comes down to whether this will be a 'Pirates only' thingy, or some sort of cooperation with the Guilds for the greater good. There are valid points for each side, both ways have their advantages and disadvantages. And as much as I stated myself a purist, I also find a mingled world appealing to some point. So it's kind of hard to decide which way to go:

Stand-alone, pure, boosting pirates, but possibly endangering both concepts.

Cooperation, joining forces, greater resources, but maybe not as appealing to many.

A tough choice.

But I just had another idea, it's not thought-out, I'm not even sure if it'd be manageable, but maybe it can be discussed.

What if we have one world, one time-line. And whereas GoH represents roughly the time middle ages to early renaissance, the 'Pirates' Guilds' would cover the age of sails. So it could be running parallel, but both Guilds wouldn't interfere with each other, since they would be one concept, separated 'only' by centuries.

Like this everything concerning the GoH could stay as it is and the 'Pirates' Guilds' could do their thing, but on a longer run we could include heritage throughout centuries, guilds could transform into 'nations' (Blue, Red, Armada), new territory were to be discovered, and so on.

Just a thought. What do you think?

It seems the general question comes down to whether this will be a 'Pirates only' thingy, or some sort of cooperation with the Guilds for the greater good. There are valid points for each side, both ways have their advantages and disadvantages. And as much as I stated myself a purist, I also find a mingled world appealing to some point. So it's kind of hard to decide which way to go:

Cooperation, joining forces, greater resources, but maybe not as appealing to many.

A tough choice.

But I just had another idea, it's not thought-out, I'm not even sure if it'd be manageable, but maybe it can be discussed.

What if we have one world, one time-line. And whereas GoH represents roughly the time middle ages to early renaissance, the 'Pirates' Guilds' would cover the age of sails. So it could be running parallel, but both Guilds wouldn't interfere with each other, since they would be one concept, separated 'only' by centuries.

Like this everything concerning the GoH could stay as it is and the 'Pirates' Guilds' could do their thing, but on a longer run we could include heritage throughout centuries, guilds could transform into 'nations' (Blue, Red, Armada), new territory were to be discovered, and so on.

I have been thinking on a similar concept or idea, glad you were first to present it, I have to admit I'd not have been as eloquent as explaining it as you were! and I have to say I like it! It would need a lot of thinking and cooperation between both forums to stabilize a storyline and not get in the middle of each other, it'd need a perfect harmony, which I think it could be achievable, but just if everyone work towards it. Thanks for sharing your thoughts! pir_laugh2.gifpir_laugh2.gifpir_laugh2.gif

A tough choice.

The problem with this is that it limits the storyline for GoH "Middle Ages" If the same four nations exist in the same locations (only with colonial possessions) then it would be hard to run any events where the guilds were at war at each other in the early period. I think it would be cool, because then when someone was a bit bored with castles, they could represent their alterego on a ship centuries later in the pirate forum. However, I am not sure we could adequately squeeze the five guilds into a post Renaissance colonial scheme suitable for a pirates project.

I have some pretty good ideas (IMHO, of course :wink:) for ways to divide the factions and make the mechanics of the game work, but it will likely be a lengthy post. I'll see if I can't get them written up and posted tomorrow. More to come!

I've brought up the discussion about the relation with the Guilds of Historica in the staff forum. I'll let you know what happens.

Personally I think we should start with no more than 3 themes to assure active leadership.

Perhaps it would be cool to have some kind of government for which members can work. They could ask permission to start their own voyage of discovery or colonial settlement or small war, or ask for an assignment. All on a rather free basis (not too much time-restrained).

I'm not quite sure what would be the best themes/guilds.. Perhaps a Blue team, a Red team and a Pirates theme would work the best, but in a way that every blue torso could be used for the Blue team and so on.

The islanders could play some role in the colonial settlements and with enough success become a seperate team..?

I'm not quite sure what would be the best themes/guilds.. Perhaps a Blue team, a Red team and a Pirates theme would work the best, but in a way that every blue torso could be used for the Blue team and so on.

The islanders could play some role in the colonial settlements and with enough success become a seperate team..?

i think this is a really good idea, if it would turn out this way i am joining bluecoat team

I believe that LOTR is mostly responsible for the history forum to be more active. Even though some don't like the theme, everyone likes to build with something new. And there hasn't been anything new for pirates for far too long!

My highest regards, but this is nonsense. The history forum has always been more active than the pirates forum. That's why several of us left here because you can simply get more feedback there. I think my last ship wip here initially got two replies in two weeks, whereas in the GoH forum I tend to have at least 10-15 comments on what I build. I usualy post wip topics so I can get some critical feedback and improve on what I'm building. If I don't get it, I go somewhere else.

That said, I really would like there to be more activity here. And I got some 40 or so pirate theme minifigs wating to be dusted off. However, my main focus will remain GoH.

How fortuitous to come across this thread almost 2 years to the day since a Pirates themed GoH was being discussed! I would LOVE to see something like this come into being, and am willing to help however I can!

My previous thoughts from this haven't changed too much. When GoH was starting out, the colour choices and mild lore is what might entice followers. As far as this universe would go, I would personally draw inspiration from a world similar to PoTC, where sea creatures exist, magic and voodoo, lore and legends. Set in a time of trade, piracy, adventure and mystery. While maps exist, not EVERY island has been found, some coastlines might not be fully understood, and some waterways or bayous remain unexplored. While the major continent or two is fairly established.

We create a map of the world and sufficient enough backstories for each faction, we establish a look and style for each faction, but only at the most basic level, including colour guides. A chance to create a new character that fits into this world. Whether they be the leader of an army, captain of a tug, merchant king, or fishermans wife, everyone belongs somewhere.

Some ideas for factions/groups:

Warring nations of man, maybe a departure from red vs. blue (In the classic sense); Feuding Empires.

The mysterious creatures, islanders, and unknown.

Pirate lords of the realms/seas (Possibly making certain seas trade routes?)

My thoughts are a bit scatterbrained as this has been on a back burner for so long, but I await the discussion!

KB

Edited by Kookaburra Bomb

Why not have blues, reds and pirate being "official" factions, and have islanders as an open faction for which anyone could build regardless of his/her faction?

Why not have blues, reds and pirate being "official" factions, and have islanders as an open faction for which anyone could build regardless of his/her faction?

I like that Idea, this way every other faction could ally with Islanders, different Islander tribes perhaps.

And it would fit my building Idea's pirate_classic.gif .

I like that Idea, this way every other faction could ally with Islanders, different Islander tribes perhaps.

And it would fit my building Idea's pirate_classic.gif .

that idea is amazing, the islanders are one of my favorite groups, but i have to few of them to make something big, so being an allied faction would be a great solution, because i think more people have the same problem Edited by LegoPanda

Here is my big idea, as promised. WARNING: since this is a really long post (my apologies to the mods!), if you quote from it, please only repost the specific part you are replying to .

Here is my idea for how this could work, which is admittedly different from what I see being proposed here. In part because each guild or team would not be a single faction—each team would be comprised of some of every faction—teams would instead be identified by color (or by a mascot, or some other arbitrary means).

Probably the most different aspect of my idea here is that it would center around some board game mechanics to help teams begin their builds. This might, in the beginning, be a bit limiting to what could be built, but would grow with each ensuing round. So, without much further ado, I’ll explain the game mechanics, and then how the building would work in to that.

My vision of the game here runs along the lines of Michael Kiesling's Vikings, a board game currently out of print and that actually has very little to do with Vikings and much more to do with island exploration and repelling raiders—good Pirate stuff. As such, pretend the images below are less Viking-y and more Pirate-y. If you are familiar with that game, you will see where I drew some inspiration from; if not I think this should still make sense.

Mechanics of the game

The game would be divided into three teams, each being able to build from each faction: a colonizing force (Armada, blues, and reds would all be rolled into one), pirates/privateers, and islanders.

The game, rather than being an interminable event or going for a period of time, would have a definite end after six rounds of building; during each round, teams would "explore" (build on to) an island or islands and build ships.

After every round, team points (and individual points, based on contributions or other criteria) would be awarded in the form of gold (well, not real gold, of course). After every two rounds, teams could use their ships to defend their own claims and attack others (to get more gold).

However, the team could not just build anything it wanted to: there would be limits to what they could make each round (and here is where the board game mechanics really come into play):

Teams would all start with an even amount of gold, and before each round of building, teams would have the option to purchase several building categories, based on what is available for that round. Overall (across all six rounds), there would be more land options than ships, but in any given round that could change, as the options are drawn randomly. Each land option is coupled with a faction--soldiers, pirates, islanders, in ascending price order. Also, land options come in three varieties, described as parts of an island (as seen in the picture below), each of which would allow a variety of building possibilities. These possibilities will be explained later but for now it should be clear that the middle sections of islands can only be explored once the beach has been discovered, and an island is not complete unless it has one of each of the end sections. The end sections may stand alone, however, under certain circumstances.

13574963235_a4470641d4_n.jpg

The way these building options would be bought by teams is that each team would start with a certain amount of gold, and the available choices would be placed around a wheel that describes the prices of each option (12 per round), with ships being more expensive and islands being cheaper, as in the picture below. Factions are represented by tricorne hats (imperials), bicorne pirate hats (pirates) and islander hair with bone pieces. (A note: prices on the pictures below are low, so we would probably raise them x100 (1=100, 11=1,100, etc.):

13575048825_d30f3cdfc8_n.jpg

Any option on the wheel is available for purchase, but as the cheapest options are bought, the price wheel turns, lowering prices across all remaining options, as seen below. You might notice that one of the options is free (price is 0). This option cannot be bought until it is the only one of its faction left. Using the picture below as an example, there are three options that belong to the imperial faction, one of which is the free one. The options that cost 100, 200, and 300 gold must be bought before that free one can be bought (for free). While teams may decide to buy any of the more expensive options, the free one cannot be taken until it is the only imperial option left on the wheel. Once the free one is taken, the wheel rotates so that the cheapest option left becomes the free one, in this case, the pirate middle island section:

13575316544_950d0278a4_n.jpg

13574995043_88c83280f5_n.jpg

13574935115_7a8383162f_n.jpg

13574929565_4aa3051c2a_n.jpg

Thus, a team may want a ship but decides to hold out until other pieces have been bought so that it will be cheaper. However, then they run the risk of the option they really want being snatched up by someone else. Do you pay the extra for a sure thing?

The land options and their accompanying faction must be kept together, so while a team has some options for building given a certain land option (we're getting there, trust me) a team could not buy an imperial beach and build, for example, a pirate hideout on it, it would have to remain imperial.

13574981633_c31b682e00_m.jpg

13575288344_343a7cd02b_m.jpg

Ship options purchased could be used for any faction the team decided. (Because of that, however, when only ship options were left, the wheel would rotate until the cheapest ship cost 100 gold, rather than being free.) They could then use the ship to attack another team’s building, or to defend one of their own (but only of the same faction if defending).

In the picture above, all ships are pictured with a 2, but in reality each ship would have a different number, ranging from 2 to 8, indicating the number of guns aboard and thereby attack/defense strength. As far as I have determined (and for simplicity), battles would be done Risk-style, with dice. Land options would have a comparable defense strength, depending on what was built and increasing with island size (multiple land units joined under the same faction would be stronger).

Teams would get gold by successfully attacking other teams’ ships or land (after every other round) or by completing other achievements (after each round or after the last round, depending on the specific achievement). Some possibilities for these achievements are listed below. The team with the most gold at the end of the game would be the winners! It might be hard to have actual in-the-brick prizes for an entire team, but maybe each team could have prizes for its own Most Valuable Builder (based on whatever kind of individual achievements we dream up) or runners-up. That will all depend on participation, I presume. Tags are always nice.

The actual building and stuff

Now I know what you're thinking...where does actual LEGO building come into all of this?

As stated, before each round, the team's available building options would be decided, and then team members could volunteer (or be assigned, that would be up to each team/team mod) to build one or more of those team's options.

13575284894_68ab053d02.jpg

Each land option would be limited in size (probably 16x16 or 32x32), and conjoined land options would need to be built modularly, so that if a beach option has a dock, it lines up with the trading post on the middle land option, etc. They would probably not need to match stylistically, but merely join up in the right places.

13574964973_055a11cdfe.jpg

Ship building would not be limited except in the number of guns available, based on the option purchased.

Probably, there would be multiple volunteers for each option (and members could build for more than one option and more than one build for each option), in which case, they would submit them to their team, which would vote on which one they wanted to represent that option in the game. This might be a way for individual team members to get points.

Once the final builds were decided on, they would be posted in a master thread for all teams to see, and then battles, or achievement gold, etc. would be dealt with and meted out.

As also stated, each land option would have a number of building possibilities. Here are my suggestions:

Beach options

Dock/shipyard (as part of a larger island)

Part of a fort/outpost (as part of a larger island)

Deserted island (as a stand-alone island)

Shipwreck (as a stand-alone island)

Middle island options (can only be part of a larger island)

Trading post

Fort

Tavern

Islander palace

Other creative options: government houses, shops, etc. would go on this kind of section.

Rocky cliff options

Jail (as part of a larger island or stand-alone island)

Treasure cave/house (as part of a larger island or stand-alone island)

Reef/Sandbar/Sea monster* (as a stand-alone island)

Part of a fort/outpost (as part of a larger island)

*if we decide to go the fantasy route, which I am in favor of as long as it is more like the first POTC movie and not like the others (well, maybe a bit of the second, you know, the part with the kraken)

Other possibilities can be suggested and accepted, but no changes would be made once the game began.

Islands would not need any specific pieces, except that any larger islands (2 or more options joined together modularly) could not have more than one of any option except the middle island option, i.e. cannot join two beaches or rocky cliffs together, but can join a beach and a rocky cliff (either or both) with any number of middle island sections between them. In this way, islands could only be made longer, not wider.

Achievements

Each of these possibilities would enable teams to try for other achievements, such as most completed islands (only counting islands with two or more options joined together modularly), longest island, or completing one of every kind of possibility (regardless of faction).

Other achievements by which teams could get additional gold might include:

People’s choice: a game-final vote across all teams (or even public) on the best built of each possibility.

Iron builder: a few key parts are chosen at the beginning of the game, and the best options/modules to capitalize on that/those part(s) usage are awarded.

Largest faction: the largest pirate, islander, and imperial factions (i.e. the most completed land options for each faction).

Largest fleet (per faction): same as faction, but considering only ships, not land options.

Most of any single building type: for example, who has the most treasure caves?

Best characters/backstory: again, a kind of people’s choice award.

Like before, other achievements could be decided, but not changed once the game began.

(Whew, you made it this far! We’re almost done!)

Pros and Cons

There are some clear advantages that I can see at this point, but also some disadvantages, which I have put out below. I am sure I have not thought of everything.

Pros:

-Every team can build from every faction, members can volunteer for the factions they prefer regardless of their team

-Different building possibilities allow builders with small or large collections to participate

-There has to be some actual teamwork to coordinate the larger island builds (at least connection points)

-Despite the need for teamwork, most options allow builders to work fairly independently

-Board game style mechanics make this game much different from GoH or SoNE (I think)

-Definite game completion: if the game isn’t successful, it won’t drag on interminably. If it is successful, we can always play again (and maybe change up the rules while we’re at it)!

Cons:

-Coordination of teams during purchase wheel phase and attack phases would be difficult. To help ease this, maybe only team captains participate in this (with suggestions and feedback from team members?)

-The game purchase rules are a bit complicated at first**

-Limited-size builds (I actually think this is a plus, but some of you may not)

-Limited options for building categories (again, I personally don’t see this as a bad thing)

-Lack of individual achievements (which could be introduced easily, I just don’t have many good ideas)

-Lack of discrete factions: Some of you might not like Pirates, Islanders, and Imperials on the same team, or Bluecoats and Redcoats intermixing. (I admit, I put all my imperial figs on the same team: reds are officers, blues are enlisted men, and Armada figs are nobility, but I know that not everyone feels the same way)

-Definite game completion: even if the game is successful, it will come to an end at some point

** If only team captains participate in the most complex parts (the purchase wheel, for example), then newcomers can simply understand, “wait until your team lead tells you what options are available for you to volunteer for”. This would cut down on trying to get the team to agree (and to coordinate that agreement) at every turn on the purchase wheel. However, most of the strategy comes not in the building phase, but in the purchase phase, meaning that the winning or losing is almost exclusively in the hands of the team captains if we adopt this kind of hands-off approach from the rest of the team.

One way to give some of that strategizing back to the team would be for the captain to handle the purchasing, but then let the team decide which different building type to pursue for each option, or even build multiple possibilities for each option but then make a firm decision when it comes time to submit the team’s builds for that round.

So, in summary, the game mechanics are for strategy, while the building is for fun!

I think that’s it for now, although I will continue to fine-tune some things and brainstorm additional achievements. Thank you! for reading this far, please let me know what of this you think of this whole idea is feasible (and fun). Again, if you quote this post, please only repost the essential bits you are commenting on .

Rodi, I would play your game. But, I like board games. The mechanics are pretty good, and I think it would be fun. I see one gaping hole -- it is a game and not a building community driven story project. Let me stop and say that perhaps making something much different than GoH is the right option, a game like this would be really fun. As I said, I would play it. However, this option is not going to drive team stories like an open ended world with light game mechanics. Yes, teams are going to build together, but since building seems a bit linear in objective, there is no real incentive to build a story. I think many of the people wanting a GoH clone in the pirate realm wanted the story aspect along with the building critiques. Still, this option would give the forum something unique, and it would be interesting to play. I think some story can be adapted into this system, but at the end of the day, it is a game more than an immersive world. I am just throwing out a small critique, but the system itself seems doable.

Interesting idea, but I have many concerns about this one. First of all, you've already stated more cons than pros, but as you said, there might be some more. Although there might be some more pros, I'll only state the cons, for I don't see this being a huge success. It still might be, but with a lot of modification. Here's my thoughts about everything:

- Limiting the builds too much is a bad idea and a move from the direction the "building game" idea is all about.

- Being able to build for any "race" might be a god idea, but that then limits the RPG possibilities for one cannot create a character he builds. Building more then one characters might be confusing for some.

- Having a game complete at a certain point is also very risky and I see two problems with it. One is that some players might not join the game if it's been to far along the line and the other is that players from the losing factions might loose interest in building a round or even two before the end if they see no possibilities in success.

- And another big problem I see with this is that there's far too much coordination needed behind the scenes and also within the factions. One should be a "gamemaster" and work on everything - buying phase. And if he does not have time or if either of the fraction leaders is absent, the game is forced to a hold. Also members might loose interest if seeing too many members inactive or just not replying to the tactics threads ...

- And the biggest concer is that choosing the official builds to represent a certain part, might distract the players with less building skills for not playing any role in actual game.

- Also team members activity should be taken in consideration here. It is impossible to expect that the teams are formed with an even ammount of active players. And if the purchased ship / island is not built on, is it lost or does it still stay in the game? While in the first option clearly the more active factions have an advantage in number of ships / islands and easier attacking / defending options, the second option loses the whole purchasing and building for idea ...

The problem with simulating a board game is that board games are played 1v1 or 1v1v1v1 or equal teams against equal teams. Here as said it is impossible to achieve that and one team might clearly have an advantage or some builders might feel unimportant if we equal the number of builds that count.

Anyway it is a fresh idea and I hope I didn't turn you off of any further thinking. I's just my opinion and wait for what others have to say. But I think that a more freely set game lasting "for ever" is a better way to go.

I'm afraid I'll have to agree with MstrOfPppts and SkaForHire.

I think we should just have some simple basic rules and a great story. Outside of that the focus should be on "building an imaginary world" with a lot of freedom and creativity IMO.

But don't get me wrong, I really appreciate your extensive reply!

Thanks for the replies and feedback! I'll try to be brief here (to make up for my earlier longwindedness :wink:)

Mstr, you bring up a lot of good points, and while I think I have good answers for all of them I don't see a reason to try and tackle them in this thread, because the truth is, I agree with you: this game isn't exactly what we're looking for in terms of story, character, and world building. (Maybe that's why I never really got into GoH.) I still think it would be a blast, but maybe for another time or venue.

Oh well. I'm not really discouraged at all, I just hope that what I posted above can be useful in the discussion here in some way; I'm curious to see what kind of worlds end up getting put together.

Edited by rodiziorobs

I wish you would have a pirates themed RPG. LEGO Pirates was always my first plastic love and it's what brought me back as well. I would MOC more frequently and really want to participate. pir_laugh2.gif

Guilds of historica was awesome back when it was simple, its still awesome now, but i don't have much time on my hands/ am involved with lots more in the community, so im not as frequently visiting and as a result of that and its new complicated storylines i don't really know what's happening in it. if a pirate project where to come up, I'd sure be excited and would have the occasional participation though, just nothing nearly as much as I put into GoH in the first year and a half.

I really don't see why people keep saying that the storyline is complicated. Not much has really happened since you left off, Legonardo. There was a civil war in Nocturnus, you participated in that. Nothing much has happened since.

LD has to say this because CBB said so too.

I'm actually really excited about this pirate project and hope it starts soon.

I created a secret forum for the rest of the development and added a few members so the decision-making will be easier/faster.

However, we'll take your ideas into account and I think we will sometimes open up a poll for some issues.

Thanks for bringing up ideas, and new ideas are still welcome.

I like the idea that was mentioned of having one group of colonialists (armada, blue, red), one group of pirates, and one group of islanders.

This would allow for good cross pollination because islander tribes could be hired as scouts, colonists could turn to crime, and pirates could be shipwrecked with islanders. Etc, etc, etc... Overall, lots of options for everyone to get what they like without limiting it to red vs blue.

Perhaps the game could also work around a currency system where you get gold for building/doing certain things, and then you can convert that into new things to build. Kinda like a tech tree in a videogame.

So, for example, to start a player could have enough gold to build either a ship or a dock, if they build a ship, they they have the option of building a diagram of that ship attacking another for plunder, or trading in an exotic port. That earns them gold, which allows them to unlock a new ship or a port. Etc. Starting with a dock allows you to show a fishing company, or a small trading company. Then from there they could build a warehouse, or a store. Eventually a player could have a vast fleet sailing around the world, or a large trading port full of exotic wonders. Or simply they could have an even mix as the tech tree would inter mingle and allow multiple options for different buildings.

Then for time to time the guild leaders will throw challenges out there like who can build the most exotic treasure, etc for additional gold.

Gives people the chance to control their own fate, while also allowing the game world to grow and progress through time. It is kinda similar to some of GoH recent attempts, just slightly different mechanic

(Also, I am happy we are having this conversation because I see it is influencing GoH They are changing things slightly to adapt to our comments, and I think it is making it more understandable. Thanks!)