I was playing around with some alternatives with that torso. I feel like the collar needs to be covered by the frilly neck thingys. I like the dark green and black pants much better than the sand green ones. White looked terrible, so I didn't even post a picture.

SAM_2868.JPG

I dont own any of those torsos, so thanks for taking some pics! Yeah, it certainly isnt ideal, but I do like the two on the outside. Is there any chance you could take a picture of that torso with light bley legs and a shako? I've been wondering if it could be used for generic riflemen, but I cant visualize it.

The thespian obviously has a very nice torso, but it seems much too intricate for your average trooper.

This is an exciting project!

Typical to see SkaForHire involved again, that man is omnipresent! pir_laugh2.gif Good job though, I think he'll be a great person to have involved from both a historical and gameplay perspective!

My own feelings about it would be to keep the number of factions to a minimum. The less factions, the more faction participation.

Some ideas:

• I like the idea of having the pirates with "roaming" allegiance rather than being a separate faction (I don't know if this goes against SkaForHire's reveal of the Empire of Corrington in post #160). I'd also argue that the "Islanders" faction could have a similar role. So I'd have Corrington, Oleon and Eslandola as the main factions, with Pirates and Islanders having floating allegiance. To present abuse of this system, perhaps everyone could have one character from the main imperial powers, and one from either Pirates/Islanders.
  • Alternatively, the Pirates/Islanders could have a different risk/reward system, i.e. if you are a Pirate and you align with Oleon for this challenge, if Oleon win you get double points, if they are 2nd no points, and if 3rd you lose some points.
  • Additionally, it could be that the imperial powers have to sacrifice some of their points to hire the Pirates/Islanders. For example, the Pirates decide a bounty in points (either collectively or on an individual basis) and each empire decides who to hire for the challenge. Pirates affiliated with an imperial power get normal points (and the hiring faction gets the pirates points x2 but lose to the pirates the number of points they agreed to pay to hire them). I think this could be designed better, but you get where I'm going with it.

Further to this, it would be interesting if we could represent the advancement in democracy with some kind of minister system here. For example, each faction has a limited (e.g. 2 or 3 max) number of ministerial posts available, and they incumbents have to be voted in by the rest of the faction. These players have some perks (e.g. ministerial entries count double for the challenge) but they can only serve two consecutive terms (where one grand challenge is one term). This would encourage the most active builders to be voted into these roles, encouraging participation. At least, that's the theory! Hope that makes sense.

My favourite period in history is the Spanish "discovery" of the Aztec Empire (see 1, 2, 3, 4), so I'd be naturally inclined towards Eslandola and/or the Islander faction (plus I'd get to be in the same team as best buddy Maxim I again, woohoo! pirate_tong.gif ).

I like that we're not using historical empire names (even if they are obviously rip-offs...!) to avoid any nationalistic feelings, but I'd have some questions regarding the setting:

• What is the scope of the map? It is just the colonies as the main action point with the "old world" being depicted in MOCs but can never be fought over? (That'd be my preference)
  • What is the approximate focus of the colonies? As you will all be aware, it wasn't just the Caribbean being colonised at this time - Africa, India and Australia all had European colonies, and trade with China and Japan was also common. I realise it's fictitious, but could the Islander faction be Africans/Indians etc?

As for the magic/realism argument, I'd say that I'm fine with fantasy elements as long as they are less than GoH. GoH lends itself better to a fantasy setting due to it's "medieval" setting, but I'd say the age of enlightenment would have less fantasy due to the advancements in science and understanding. So having monsters and the undead on unexplored islands would be fine, as well as in the Islander realms, but I'd be against seeing a massive fantasy monster in the middle of Bellson for example.

As an additional point, I'd be happy to help out run this project in any way, I have plenty of time on my hands at the moment. Just be aware I won't be doing much building for the next 9-12 months due to my personal situation.

I'm sure you're all fed-up with my use of "quotes" in this post! pirate_laugh_new.gif

I was playing around with some alternatives with that torso. I feel like the collar needs to be covered by the frilly neck thingys. I like the dark green and black pants much better than the sand green ones. White looked terrible, so I didn't even post a picture.

SAM_2868.JPG

These are a really interesting idea. I've always wondered whether that torso could be used in this setting, but I must say that for me, these look a bit out of place. The thing that puts me off is the colour seems too much like camouflage for the period, typically uniforms were gaudy and bright, it wasn't until much later (circa 1890's onward) that uniforms were designed to blend into the landscape to give the wearer some cover.

Edited by Basiliscus

Actually, by the late 18th century, America, Prussia, Britain, and Portugal, among others, had dedicated light infantry and rifle regiments that wore green jackets for camouflage.

This is an exciting project!

My own feelings about it would be to keep the number of factions to a minimum. The less factions, the more faction participation.

Some ideas:

• I like the idea of having the pirates with "roaming" allegiance rather than being a separate faction (I don't know if this goes against SkaForHire's reveal of the Empire of Corrington in post #160). I'd also argue that the "Islanders" faction could have a similar role. So I'd have Corrington, Oleon and Eslandola as the main factions, with Pirates and Islanders having floating allegiance. To present abuse of this system, perhaps everyone could have one character from the main imperial powers, and one from either Pirates/Islanders.
  • Alternatively, the Pirates/Islanders could have a different risk/reward system, i.e. if you are a Pirate and you align with Oleon for this challenge, if Oleon win you get double points, if they are 2nd no points, and if 3rd you lose some points.
  • Additionally, it could be that the imperial powers have to sacrifice some of their points to hire the Pirates/Islanders. For example, the Pirates decide a bounty in points (either collectively or on an individual basis) and each empire decides who to hire for the challenge. Pirates affiliated with an imperial power get normal points (and the hiring faction gets the pirates points x2 but lose to the pirates the number of points they agreed to pay to hire them). I think this could be designed better, but you get where I'm going with it.

Further to this, it would be interesting if we could represent the advancement in democracy with some kind of minister system here. For example, each faction has a limited (e.g. 2 or 3 max) number of ministerial posts available, and they incumbents have to be voted in by the rest of the faction. These players have some perks (e.g. ministerial entries count double for the challenge) but they can only serve two consecutive terms (where one grand challenge is one term). This would encourage the most active builders to be voted into these roles, encouraging participation. At least, that's the theory! Hope that makes sense.

I like that we're not using historical empire names (even if they are obviously rip-offs...!) to avoid any nationalistic feelings, but I'd have some questions regarding the setting:

• What is the scope of the map? It is just the colonies as the main action point with the "old world" being depicted in MOCs but can never be fought over? (That'd be my preference)
  • What is the approximate focus of the colonies? As you will all be aware, it wasn't just the Caribbean being colonised at this time - Africa, India and Australia all had European colonies, and trade with China and Japan was also common. I realise it's fictitious, but could the Islander faction be Africans/Indians etc?

As an additional point, I'd be happy to help out run this project in any way, I have plenty of time on my hands at the moment. Just be aware I won't be doing much building for the next 9-12 months due to my personal situation.

I'm sure you're all fed-up with my use of "quotes" in this post! pirate_laugh_new.gif

We kind of decided no more leaks, so I am not going to talk too much about the map -- I "think" we have it set, but we were going to allow players to participate in the Old World as well as the new, as we have builders here who prefer more "European" than "colonial" in their own MOCs.

Be careful what you wish for there with the volunteering...

It seems like the map will be pretty big. I'm assuming there will be two factions - Imperials and Pirates - only?

It seems like the map will be pretty big. I'm assuming there will be two factions - Imperials and Pirates - only?

Please Goliath, take the time to go through at last the posts Ska posted. There are 4 factions like already said a few times.

Please Goliath, take the time to go through at last the posts Ska posted. There are 4 factions like already said a few times.

... and we will all be just fractions of these factions...

SCNR

Rumor has it there could be a 'fleshies only' policy installed in BoBS for the sake of more realism!

Rumor has it there could be a 'fleshies only' policy installed in BoBS for the sake of more realism!

If that's true, then I won't be participating in Bobs

If that's true, then I won't be participating in Bobs Because I only have yellow faced redcoats/ bluecoats.

I can't see that being true but, if it is, count me out as well.

If that's true, then I won't be participating in Bobs Because I only have yellow faced redcoats/ bluecoats.

I am not sure where that rumor started, but I heard that the new owners of Eurobricks, DisneyTM, will issue out POTC figs to every pirate member as a reward for staying with Disneybricks. So, don't worry about your shortage of fleshies if the other rumor is true. :innocent:

I wanted to discuss this as well, then I thought: wait a minute, it is 1 april...

Nice one Kolonialbeamter!

I wanted to discuss this as well, then I thought: wait a minute, it is 1 april...

Nice one Kolonialbeamter!

Ah he got me! I was even on the watch for April Fool's jokes, but I guess I let my guard down after seeing DisneyBricks. Well played Kolonialbeamter with that "rumor".

pir_laugh2.gif sure....

I actually have a number of fleshy blackcoats. So I could keep posting pirate_laugh2.gif

This is all a plot to turn RBG players into Zombies! I'm already playing GoH and AG. When this comes out i'll probably end up playing this as well. pir_wacko.gif