I'm happy to see there is a lot of progress for Brethren of the Brick Seas (Should the topic title get changed?).

I am fine with BoBS...

BTW: those are first few figbarfs for the green faction, it's of course very limited at this point:

Ok, more and more people are getting started. This is good! :sweet::excited::moar:

BTW: those are first few figbarfs for the green faction, it's of course very limited at this point:

13692652434_2d4590b4cd.jpg

What's a figbarf?

Is the lack of morion helmets their limitation?

As Ska has already written, I too am really buisy over at the History forum where I am a regulator and a vice leader of Mitgardia. I do feel like mocing a little for the green fraction which is loosly based on late colonial Spain. We do need a leader though who's willing to put some time into this. The last dude who volunteered for this position left me stranded after only a few weeks. And I'm not willing to do this all on my own.

Should you still have trouble finding one leader for a/this particular faction... couldn't it be a solution to split up the work among several 'co-leaders' (two or three), supported by a GoH veteran like you, kabel? Of course this could only work out if all of them are dedicated and noone is in just 'for the glory'. Having more people involved in responsible positions would also mean to have more people in training, so more possible input, and a broader staff as sort of a 'reserve' that could work/deal with issues where needed. But this might require more monitoring... and I don't know if that is wanted/possible to put up.

So is the world of Brethren of the Brick Seas (great name btw) going to be in a like "fantasy" colonized caribbean islands with every faction having own story motherlands. Or is the place the factions have the "main land/place"?

hopefully there will be a blue faction, i already have my fig madepirate_laugh2.gif

dsc_0399.jpg

(sorry this picture is so awfully big)

Edited by LegoPanda

The Empire of Corrington

Quick Glance: Primarily Red Coats – Colors: Red and Black -- Best navigators – Larger well-armed ships– Hold science and order important – Small colonial presence – Accept traders, craftsmen, privateers, naval officers, seamen, agriculturalists, scientists, and entrepreneurs.

Membership

Corrington is open for members. If you are adventurous, but like to belong to a well ordered machine, join Corrington! If you like rum, but are more of the sort that likes to get paid rather than rob people at sea, join Corrington! Corringans tend to put science before superstition, and look to further their navigational knowledge of the world. If you are a grand navigator, join Corrington!

Corrington MOCs should display at least a red flag, if not the red and black colors.

I'm not that experienced a builder (more of a collector), but this has me rather excited. Being a big fan of the Hornblower books, I've always wanted to try my hand at historic british-like builds. I won't commit yet of course, since things are still in development and I have far more Oleon blue related minifigs in my collection, but hopefully Post Captain Odysseus Pelter will be hoisting the Corrington colours sometime soon.

Is the lack of morion helmets their limitation?

I actually have plenty of morions but they simply weren't used in the age of piracy anymore. ( except for by the Swiss guard)

If this becomes a thing, I may very well be a redcoat myself or a pirate if that's an option. pirate_laugh2.gif

Edited by Goliath

I would pitch in if this could be done digitally (in LDD).

The current restriction in GoH is that main challenges have to be in bricks, but everything else can be LDD. I would like to hear what the members of this forum think before putting that kind of restriction in.

I actually have plenty of morions but they simply weren't used in the age of piracy anymore. ( except for by the Swiss guard)

I did not know that. Thanks Kabel.

I'm still using them on my Green Coats though. :tongue:

Just wanted to say that I am interested to join if we get enough leaders. Personally I am a newbie so I do not think I have the know how to be a leader.

If this becomes a thing, I may very well be a redcoat myself or a pirate if that's an option. pirate_laugh2.gif

Piracy is always an option! ;)

The current restriction in GoH is that main challenges have to be in bricks, but everything else can be LDD. I would like to hear what the members of this forum think before putting that kind of restriction in.

Being allowed to build digitally is essential to me, too, since by now I almost forgot that I do own real bricks... (at least I said 'almost' :pir-grin:)

Kiddings aside, joining main challenges with digital entries would mean a lot.

But I also know about the concerns people have with digital creations. I don't feel like starting a debate here about real bricks vs. digital bricks, as that would be pointless.

So instead, what are possible solutions to this matter:

- allow only freebuilds, no digital (main) challenge entries. Clear rule, but quite conservative, in any case limiting participation.

- no restrictions, simply let self regulation run its course by letting voters decide. Widest range of contribution possible from all builders, but could have a number of negative effects if people 'went nuts' with that much freedom, like leading to a decline of acceptance of digital builds or a drop of MOC quality.

- allow digital entries to (main) challenges, but impose some sort of restriction, for example:

-> allow only existing color-part combinations. Problem here would be control.

-> don't allow 'unrealistic' techniques, such as, for example, 'floating bricks'. Problem here would be that sometimes 'unrealistic' techniques are needed to balance real bricks' building possibilities. For example LDD hardly features something equaling real life string. Sails and yards on ships, held in place by rigging, would be allowed for real-brick builders to build unattached to the masts. Building digitally, I would have to use 'floating bricks' to simulate this.

So digital tools often enough are a restriction in themselves, you have to work around a lot of things that are common repertoire 'in the brick' to reach a similar result, like for example using a hand full of round trans blue 1x1 plates to 'build' water is (almost) impossible to do in LDD... And items such as weapons from 'brick warriors' and the like will never be useable digitally, neither will minifigure hands and single legs. That list goes on.

In the end nothing is ideal, every solution has its pros and cons.

My suggestion is, allow digital entries but strongly appeal to people to use only existing color-part combinations and be reasonable in general. After all, it is in their own interest to have their creations accepted by voters and staff. And in case of severe violation a Mod/Leader could always remove a particular entry from a contest.

The final question however is, how much 'digital trouble' are the people in charge willing to deal with.

Should it help making this possible, I'd be willing to help dealing with issues resulting from that decision.

One last note on checking part-color combis: Yes, I know it is a mind numbing thing to do, and it can take an awful lot of time. If you happen to have a bricklink account, to 'final check' your MOC simply upload (not publish!) to their MOC-store.

As an ex-despiser of the digital brick, I would say we should allow digital bricks to be used.

Digital users are getting very skilled at creating MOCs and displaying mini-figs, like Dunkleosteus and Kolonialbeamter. They also seem to be a significant portion of MOCers in the pirate forum. With the 'magic' these guys are doing in LDD, I would not want to discourage or bar these guys from participating.

Perhaps have separate catergories for digital and non-digital builds. Have different judging and points criterias.

Perhaps have separate catergories for digital and non-digital builds. Have different judging and points criterias.

This is the best option.

Hear hear!

Would be great seeing more pirate mocs in general. One day I hope to upload a pirate moc of my own.

Maybe also have some free for all competitions. I personally do not like to build in LDD as the physical Lego is a way to relax for me, but it would be fun to see the best LDD sometimes go head to head with the best of the physical builders.

In the spirit of a building community I don't see seperating both ways as a favorable option. In fact, I could rather live with a total ban of digital creations from challenges than having seperated categories. Yes, we are only talking about accepting digital entries for the main challenges of BoBS here, so this doesn't address all the freebuilds and so on. But still, to me the goal should rather be inclusion to achieve a better acceptance of digital MOCs.

So I'd put some effort into establishing rules to make them comparable in challenges. OK, building in the brick and digitally will never be exactly the same. But shouldn't we get to a point to see both as different, but equal?

In the spirit of a building community I don't see seperating both ways as a favorable option. In fact, I could rather live with a total ban of digital creations from challenges than having seperated categories. Yes, we are only talking about accepting digital entries for the main challenges of BoBS here, so this doesn't address all the freebuilds and so on. But still, to me the goal should rather be inclusion to achieve a better acceptance of digital MOCs.

So I'd put some effort into establishing rules to make them comparable in challenges. OK, building in the brick and digitally will never be exactly the same. But shouldn't we get to a point to see both as different, but equal?

Well, I haven't used LDD for a while, and I know you can build some amazing stuff on it, and it still requires skill and defiantly time... Saying that, I'm not sure if LDD would be a good thing for freebuilds... Like you can build and stuff for it, but what of the characters? I'm not a LDD expert, so i'll let the LDD experts handle that, I guess. I think it's sometimes a bit more challenging to build in real life, (having to do certain techniques, and actually finding the parts to do the build) but I'm totally in about letting people do LDD freebuilds and stuff like that. I think it should be judged a bit differently than the real life builds, however, not too too much. It's all lego we're building with, real lego, or LDD.

Edited by James Wellington

I myself despise the majority of LDD builds, because that just aint LEGO. That is why LDD has it's own subforum, so those with no time / money / space ... to build with real bricks, this just isn't the hobby for you. I like to compare it with digital stamp scans collecting?! Where's the point? Anyway I do understand LDD building has it's cons as it has it's prons yet still I think real bricks building is what most of us are here for. It's not hard to buy a few little sets and try to create the best out of that. Maybe I'd bear with LDD freebuilds but definetly not for the challenges yet alone the other way around. Especially if there's some rewards involwed. Unless you digital builders are sattisfied with the .lxf file of the prize set :P

I myself despise the majority of LDD builds, because that just aint LEGO. That is why LDD has it's own subforum, so those with no time / money / space ... to build with real bricks, this just isn't the hobby for you. I like to compare it with digital stamp scans collecting?! Where's the point? Anyway I do understand LDD building has it's cons as it has it's prons yet still I think real bricks building is what most of us are here for. It's not hard to buy a few little sets and try to create the best out of that. Maybe I'd bear with LDD freebuilds but definetly not for the challenges yet alone the other way around. Especially if there's some rewards involwed. Unless you digital builders are sattisfied with the .lxf file of the prize set :P

Wow... just wow. :pir_laugh2: I'm not gonna go into this.

Just wanted to quote it anyway, 'cause some comments are simply a delight worth double saving.

You, Sir, made my day.