Sign in to follow this  
woody64

We need SHAKO's

Any news yet?

Gaetano

I've been contacting some companies to see if it is feasable to produce them ourselves.

But the responses have been rather disappointing.

Dear

To give you a roughly price indication for these parts, 30.000

Edited by bonaparte

I've been contacting some companies to see if it is realistic to produce them ourselves.

But the responses have been rather disappointing.

hm... i'd get something up with one of the experienced sites. it's hard to imagine that these sites have invested 30000 euro for every part they're producing these days. there must be another way

Edited by bonaparte

hm... i'd get something up with one of the experienced sites. it's hard to imagine that these sites have invested 30000 euro for every part they're producing these days. there must be another way

Indeed, there must be some cheaper way.

My next action will be to contact some of these Lego customizers that are selling custom made parts.

Edited by bonaparte

That looks like a really long process for just one piece. 30.000

Hey B,

Have you gotten any responses from brick forge?

P

Phredit:

If brick forge can't do it, then i'll start experimenting on my own silicone molds.

Edited by phred

It only takes one day to make the actual mold, and with the resin I use, takes about 3 minutes or less to harden. The silicon I use takes only 4 hours to cure. If you stick four shakos in one mold, that could increase the number you get.

Hey B,

Have you gotten any responses from brick forge?

I still have to contact him. I'll do that this weekend!

First thing I did is send mails to companies who can make them directly for us.

But when I see the costs, it might not be a realistic option.

Edited by bonaparte

I still have to contact him. I'll do that this weekend!

First thing I did is send mails to companies who can make them directly for us.

But when I see the costs, it might not be a realistic option.

maybe you should also contact the producers of plastic model kits and see if you can get a link with the internet community of model kit fans. they very often work with customised parts, perhaps they've got some cheap procedure as well...

It only takes one day to make the actual mold, and with the resin I use, takes about 3 minutes or less to harden. The silicon I use takes only 4 hours to cure. If you stick four shakos in one mold, that could increase the number you get.

Do you have experiences with hats?

How many shakoos do you think can be done with one form?

What are the costs of such a trial?

Andreas

For me and my materials...the total cost would be aroound 50$.

I have done a storm trooper helmet before and it turned out well.

The amount of Shakos I could get in one hour is with one hat in a mold would be a bit more than 50, I would imagine.

The amount of shakos in one mold can be as many as you like. But in a traditinal....4x4...6x6 stud size mold would hold one. So imagine with an 8x8 or 6x10 stud size could hold more.

For me and my materials...the total cost would be aroound 50$.

I have done a storm trooper helmet before and it turned out well.

The amount of Shakos I could get in one hour is with one hat in a mold would be a bit more than 50, I would imagine.

Maybe we should ask Imperial Scout to make a try.

I'm willing to spend 10 EUR for a trial, if there's an easy way to transfer the money (f.e. paypal)

Do you have a picture of your storm trooper helmet?

Andreas

If your willing to sell them you could probably make a Bricklink store since there is an extremely high want for Shako's. Yes Paypal is the only way I would be able to pay.

I would be more than happy to try and make them again. But the problem is to get the materials. But I do have a BrickLink store, listed under the same username here. Ans paypal is my only form of payment... Now the only problem is shipping, as I've never shipped internationally. I'll give it a try :capn:

Unfortunately, all of the original storm trooper molds and helmet casts were thrown or destroyed.

I would be more than happy to try and make them again. But the problem is to get the materials.

Concerning materials there are a lot of resin offers also in ebay ...

Would be very interested to see photos and results from this building process!

Edited by woody64

as I've never shipped internationally I in fact live in the US, but most of the other members live in other parts of the world. :-/

But the problem is to get the materials. I'll try and find a good place for resign material.

I've received some lego parts from USA or Canada. The shipping was done in letter form using this special letter bags which have a protection inside for small parts. If I remember it correctly the costs were not too high (some EUR).

I don't know how sensitive resin parts are ...

Andreas

I've found a place that has multiple distributors/dealers in the US. http://www.alumilite.com/ Looks good to me just go click distributors/dealers click your state and it will list the places where their stuff is sold.

There is also a tutorial for it on MCN.

Edited by Fordo

I would be more than happy to try and make them again. But the problem is to get the materials. But I do have a BrickLink store, listed under the same username here. Ans paypal is my only form of payment... Now the only problem is shipping, as I've never shipped internationally. I'll give it a try :capn:

Unfortunately, all of the original storm trooper molds and helmet casts were thrown or destroyed.

Are you willing to make a shako mold?

And much would you charge for each shako before shipping?

P

I have had some experience with trying to find molders.

I am currently trying to get a boardgame company off the ground, one of the games we have prototyped requires alot of plastic pieces. I mention this because it is the same process for finding injection molding (overall the cheapest method to mass produce) that this thread has discussed. I am still shopping around for a sculptor and a molder... but i wanted to say that i think brickarms estimate is wrong. However, getting molds made won't cost as much as he stated but will cost about 5000-7000 american. A good designer could easily figure out the interior head locking design on the first try, so i dont think there would be too much prototyping.

The nice thing is it costs less to make a million pieces then the 10000 pieces that this community wants... so Having boxes of these things would be the end result, because who wants to pay 1000 bucks for 1000 when they can have like a million for the same price? lol. it costs more money the faster they shut down the press... Its really all about the molds, and i would suggest if that is the final product of this discussion (if someone really is going to flip that bill lol) that they make sure their mold has 4 - 8 different pieces in the set. That way they would get the better bang for their buck (molds are made a certain size like 8" by 8" or 3' by 3' and they can either be lots of the same thing on the "sprue" (that plastic piece that holds pieces together when you open a new model kit) or you can varry it... I would suggest perhaps a couple different hats, maybe some weapons, and or shoulder pads . cast in black, and then people could paint them if they wanted. Then press in a high volume a process 50k of each, sell them to the community and in a bricklink store....

good luck if anyone goes through with it. I don't know if it will break even. Even for fake shakos I don't know if I could swing over a quarter... now mass produce rifles with bayonets attached (or cooler, detachable ones!) then we would be talking!

Are you willing to make a shako mold?

And much would you charge for each shako before shipping?

P

Ah! I would have to figure that out. So, if this ever lifts off, I'll get to it...same as shipping.

I've received some lego parts from USA or Canada. The shipping was done in letter form using this special letter bags which have a protection inside for small parts. If I remember it correctly the costs were not too high (some EUR).

I don't know how sensitive resin parts are ...

I've never, personally, shipped anything out of the United States, so it's unfamiliar seas.

I've found a place that has multiple distributors/dealers in the US. http://www.alumilite.com/ Looks good to me just go click distributors/dealers click your state and it will list the places where their stuff is sold.

There is also a tutorial for it on MCN.

That's the type of mold I use! Though, I do have a modelers shop in my city that does get some. I'll see if I could swing by it some time.

good luck if anyone goes through with it. I don't know if it will break even. Even for fake shakos I don't know if I could swing over a quarter... now mass produce rifles with bayonets attached (or cooler, detachable ones!) then we would be talking!

The only thing is that, which I'm concerned with, is, it's not actual Lego, but rather a copy of Lego. I'd also be willing to make weapons. The musket and the flintlock would be pretty easy, I imagine.

... but i wanted to say that i think brickarms estimate is wrong. However, getting molds made won't cost as much as he stated...

I should point out that Will has actually bought molds and uses them in production. His estimates cannot be discounted so easily since his knowledge is based on experience. Of course he is very demanding. I have met Will at two different Brick events and attended presentations at both where he discussed what he had to do to get his accessories into production.

It comes down to "you get what you pay for". His estimate is for high quality work with low margin for error and very exacting specifications. No offence intended, but plastic pieces for a board game are not likely to require nearly such high quality as they (usually) do not have to connect together so estimates for mold production using those specifications are going to be unrealistically low. Do we really want shakos that fall off as easily as the crappy new viking helmets? That is likely to happen if you cheap out on the molds.

I think that the discussion of adding other accessories (ie: musket w/ attached bayonet) is what would make the project more feasible. Will's molds had space for a certain number of weapons and while producing just shakos might make the project feasible I would think that adding other accessories would allow for more sales from the molds production, thus paying the costs off faster.

Ah! I would have to figure that out. So, if this ever lifts off, I'll get to it...same as shipping.

Looking forward to it X-D

I'd probably purchase only few at first to check them out.

They don't need to be painted. (if that would cut costs and time) I can paint them myself.

Same goes for anybody able to sell custom shakos to the U.S.

I've never, personally, shipped anything out of the United States, so it's unfamiliar seas.

My only experience shipping internationally is that it can cost $3.50 for a $3.78 BL order.

(my wife really wanted a blue bucket and none were available in the U.S. X-D )

P

Edited by phred

I should point out that Will has actually bought molds and uses them in production. His estimates cannot be discounted so easily since his knowledge is based on experience. Of course he is very demanding. I have met Will at two different Brick events and attended presentations at both where he discussed what he had to do to get his accessories into production.

It comes down to "you get what you pay for". His estimate is for high quality work with low margin for error and very exacting specifications. No offence intended, but plastic pieces for a board game are not likely to require nearly such high quality as they (usually) do not have to connect together so estimates for mold production using those specifications are going to be unrealistically low. Do we really want shakos that fall off as easily as the crappy new viking helmets? That is likely to happen if you cheap out on the molds.

I think that the discussion of adding other accessories (ie: musket w/ attached bayonet) is what would make the project more feasible. Will's molds had space for a certain number of weapons and while producing just shakos might make the project feasible I would think that adding other accessories would allow for more sales from the molds production, thus paying the costs off faster.

he could be citing high to keep others out of the business...

also, i needed connecting pieces for my game, and good looking ones (if you want to sell a wargame your pieces have to look good nowadays) but that is besides the point... it only takes one good sculptor to make the proper specs for a mold. its going to be the same diameter every time once you know that diameter then you shouldn't be able to screw it up... so on a mold for a shako with no real detail, it should not be too expensive... even with prototypes.

Looking forward to it X-D

I'd probably purchase only few at first to check them out.

They don't need to be painted. (if that would cut costs and time) I can paint them myself.

Same goes for anybody able to sell custom shakos to the U.S.

My only experience shipping internationally is that it can cost $3.50 for a $3.78 BL order.

(my wife really wanted a blue bucket and none were available in the U.S. X-D )

P

Actually, you don't need to paint them. As I would have black resin. And these can be very sturdy.