Thought of this diff yesterday night. Its quite compact, but only capapable to carry torque of an M motor... Still it works :)

torsen.jpg

There are a totoal of 8 8-tooth gears to help spread the load and 2 worm gears. Its very easy to build, so I dare you guys to build it and try it out :)

Wouldn't the construction be more compact/clean if you used only 4x 8t gears ?

Wouldn't the construction be more compact/clean if you used only 4x 8t gears ?

No, its same size, it would be shorther if Lego made shorter worm gears.

Well ... I'm thinking a more robust construction with shorter beams, only 2 pairs of 8T gears, and the small turntable. Started doing that on LDD, seems feasible.

Your design has 4 pairs of meshing gears around the circumference. This is done primarily to better distribute the load. You can however use only 2 pairs of meshing 8T gears, and these will be supported from both sides (hence my comment about sturdier construction).

Edited by DrJB

I designed a torsen diff some months ago. It is smaller than this.

I will publish it soon, I want to make a complete video to show it, because a few people know what is a torsen diff.

I will publish it soon, I want to make a complete video to show it, because a few people know what is a torsen diff.

I'm excited to see it! A lot of Technic LSD / Torsen / etc. diffs seem to have structural flaws, and some even tear themselves apart when subjected to large torque. Have you managed to avoid those problems?

I have tested it with 2 L motors with gear reduction, and it works really well.

The main principle is the same as zblj with 2 worm gears and some 8t, but I have been able to place it in less space.

I have tested it with 2 L motors with gear reduction, and it works really well.

The main principle is the same as zblj with 2 worm gears and some 8t, but I have been able to place it in less space.

That's great! It sounds like both of these designs are true Torsen diffs, which is exciting. Some of the other LSD-type designs using worm gears have a sort of hysteresis or memory due to the way the worm gears travel.

What I know about the Torsen differential is something very different than that presented here... unless there are many flavors. See link below:

http://gillcad3d.blogspot.com/2012/08/torsen-differential.html

The one I know of uses 45 degrees helical gears as main components (attached to left/right axles). Then, around such gears, are pairs of 2 worm gears + 4 spurs , at 2-3 locations min. Because of the 45 degrees helical gears requirement, I'm not sure a true Torsen is feasible in Lego. I'll do an LXF to illustrate.

Edit: I see what you've done: You've combined the set of outer gears: instead of a helical worm gear and 2 spurs at each end, you've used a single spur, and simplified the construction dramatically. I wonder how the kinematics / torque differentil (left to right) get affected, by NOT using helical gears. The obe thing about such gears is that they're 'reversible' .... the one-tooth-worm from Lego is not ...

Edited by DrJB

Do show :)

I didn't want to show it before make the video, but here you have.

Obviously it is nothing really new, just a more compact version of the tipical double-worm Lego torsen diff.

2014-03-27+21.34.36.jpg

Obviously it is nothing really new, just a more compact version of the tipical double-worm Lego torsen diff.

2014-03-27+21.34.36.jpg

Hi Sheepo, did you ever post a video on this? I am curious how to build your Torsen differential.

Thanks!

Thats very nice sheepo! sucks i dont have the small turntable. Wouldnt mind sacrificing a worm gear to make the narrow version. Imho the best way to make a small lsd i've seen so far.

Yeah... I will probably also cut the worm wheel... :D

Nice compact solution... :)

Edited by MaxSupercars

Removed large photo.

Did you modify your small turntable?

Edited by NXT45

something useful for this thread:

Torsen Differential, How it works ?:

Did you modify your small turntable?

It looks like the black half of an unassembled turntable with one of these inside for support. I have two mini turntables - both assembled - and very hard to get apart. So I won't be trying this myself just yet. Gah!

Thats very nice sheepo! sucks i dont have the small turntable. Wouldnt mind sacrificing a worm gear to make the narrow version. Imho the best way to make a small lsd i've seen so far.

I though about that, but my purity about modify parts is more important than improve the diff.

When I listened the first time that Lego would release a new worm gear I hoped the new worm will be 1L, but finally they released the almost useless 3L worm gear... ;(

It looks like the black half of an unassembled turntable with one of these inside for support. I have two mini turntables - both assembled - and very hard to get apart. So I won't be trying this myself just yet. Gah!

You are correct, I had the sme problem, all my turntables were assembled, I had to buy the black part of the turntable in BL because I couldn't disassemble it without broke it ;(.

Hi all

Sorry but I am all lost on this type of differential ?

I found this example and was able to build it , however ...

40torsen4.jpg

The long shafts opposing each other need to be supported in a frame and are the outputs ?

Do I drive one of the 40t gears ?

Actually the one from here , it is wider however probably more robust ?

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=331500

regards Paul

Edited by Stormbird