B Rick

[MOC] Holy schrunken Batmobile 1966 [ 7 stud wide ]

MEANWHILE... In Gotham City...

OOPS!!! I just noticed the links to my project stopped working after Lego CUUSOO changed to Lego Ideas. Man that's a bunch of time I've lost collecting supporters. So, I've fixed the problem! Click HERE!

So if you like my project, please follow the link and give it your support. The project is doing great, but still needs a lot of votes! :classic:

cartboard_crusaders_b.jpg

I'm happy to anounce that I consider my Batmobile (dis)playset finished and that it's aproved on Cuusoo/Lego-ideas.

If you like you can vote for it on Cuusoo by clicking right HERE!

I present to you 'The Cartboard Crusaders'

A random 1966 Batmanscene in GothamCity invcluding the Batmobile, to Celebrate the 50th anniversary of the television series that's coming up...

Description:

The car is relatively small with it's 7 stud wide build-up, yet big enough to hold 2 minifigures. Those figures can be placed and removed without taking off any part. I build this car with loads of playfeatures the original car also had: Atomic Turbine Engine, Bat-Radar, Rocketlaunchers, opening decklid to reveal the Mobile Crime Computer, Bat-shutes, Chainslicer in the nose, as well as a Bat-a-Ram, Aluminum dashboards, and last but not least, the Bat-Phone.

Many have followed the Batmobile here on Eurobricks but haven't seen the newly finished display scenery. So here goes:

The backdrop. (a short story)

I picked a scene I instantly remember when reminiscing about the show: Batman and Robin walking the walls vertical yet very horizontal, in kind of a creepy very close together choreographed manner... But that's what made the show so fun to watch. Always a citizen in an open window. This time it's the beautifull Catwoman.

Or is it...

It happens to be a mannequin disguised as Catwoman to lure our Caped Crusaders into the Jokers trap. The Joker is standing on top of the building ready to cut the line...

cartboard_crusaders_1_a1.jpg

cartboard_crusaders_8_a.jpg

Because of this fake building (in this MOC, and in the tv series) I gave this project the name:

'Cartboard Crusaders'.

cartboard_crusaders_2_a.jpg

cartboard_crusaders_3_a.jpg

cartboard_crusaders_4_a1.jpg

cartboard_crusaders_5_a1.jpg

cartboard_crusaders_7_a1.jpg

cartboard_crusaders_6_a1.jpg

So here it is. The one and only Batmobile.

cartboard_crusaders_9_a.jpg

cartboard_crusaders_10_a.jpg

cartboard_crusaders_11_a.jpg

Let's take a look at some of the details...

I've tried to cram as much in as possible:

cartboard_crusaders_14_a1.jpg

cartboard_crusaders_12_a1.jpg

cartboard_crusaders_17_a.jpg

But I think this is the best part:

cartboard_crusaders_19_a.jpg

It's fits two minifigs side by side which can be taken out of and put back in without taking off any part of the car. And I think the 7 stud wide size is perfect for minifig/city/town/modular-scale.

cartboard_crusaders_16_a.jpg

Now all you have to do is VOTE on cuusoo, because you know you want it to be available in an official exclusive collectorsbox!

Thanks in advance. :classic:

And if you don't..?

Well, Look what's bound to happen to mr. Joker...

cartboard_crusaders_18_a1.jpg

Please make a childhooddream come true and vote for my Batmobile HERE!

Edited by B Rick

ahh I actually like this one a lot more (which isn't to say the other one isn't great). Well done!

Status update April 19th 2014.

The car has had major updates... First of all, I got the dark red wing pieces front and back! The double bubbletop-cockpit has more articulation and is moved forward 1 stud. It now features an all new detailed interior which I'll show whenthe car is finished. I managed to flatten the bodywork even more (1 plate lower) and has a lot of Batman gadgets which I'll keep under my hat for now... As I thought I almost finished the whole car I got another idea for the fenders. Not completely sure about it. I'll have to let it sink in... I know it's more acurate this way but I kinda mis the evil hotrod look my original design had... The wheels now have 5 studs between them instead of 3. At least I have got the red line dropped down.

(Check the before and after shots in my latest update-post!)

batmobile_3.jpg

batmobile_2.jpg

moc_7_batmobile_14.jpg

^ I've been doing some brick-rearranging on my Batmobile again. In the color I've always wanted it to be. New Dark Red. I hadn't used that color cause I always thought I didn't had enough. I'm still missing some vital pieces but you'll see where this is going. I still need some hard to find 2x3 wing plates... In the photo's the car sits so low the rear wheel seems to dissapear. But when you look at minifig height it looks good. Just gotta believe me... :wink: Well, for promotional reasons I've raised the the rear by one plate. It has the hotrodstance like the version in white (below).

moc_7_batmobile_11.jpg

^Not sure about the frontend, but the rear definately has got to get some darkred wingpieces...

moc_7_batmobile_12.jpg

^ The car now has a more refined frontend. It still misses the wingpieces but at least it has the grilles now! The car now features some serious snot!! Pretty proud of that :laugh:

moc_7_batmobile_0.jpg

moc_7_batmobile_1.jpg

moc_7_batmobile_6.jpg

You may remember my first moc as an AFOL, the 1966 Batmobile in limegreen. Well, I was complaining about the incompatabillity of it with the modular buildings scale... It was way too big. Just like my Monster Fighters hearse, which I succesfully transformed into a 7 stud wide chibi-version. I didn't think it could be done with my Batmobile but today I gave it a try. The Batmobile didn't get the chibitreatment because losing too much of it's characteristic proportions. So in the end the schrinkage is not too extreme, but enough to fit the modular and minifigscale. Overall I'm very happy with the result.

Enjoy!

moc_7_batmobile_2.jpg

moc_7_batmobile_3.jpg

moc_7_batmobile_4.jpg

moc_7_batmobile_5.jpg

^ While I was downscaling the car I managed to add some more acurate batmobile-details.

moc_7_batmobile_8.jpg

moc_7_batmobile_7.jpg

moc_7_batmobile_10.jpg

moc_7_batmobile_9.jpg

As you may have noticed this car has white as it's contrasting color because I still don't have enough red bricks to complete the job... I may have to order some dark red 2x3 wings... Oh and I tried not to canibalize my original Batmobile but came short of two of these canopy windscreens...

Hope you'll like my effort and please feel free to leave a comment!

Edited by B Rick

I think the 7 stud route works well for this. It's better than the other one as you said, for scale. Of course I like both and look forward to seeing this with the red.

Also someone had better warn Catwoman to get out of Batman's car. I keep imagining he would have a spring-loaded ejection seat for a situation like that.

AWESOME....classic Adam West era Batmobile......I :wub: it and you gave a ride to Catwomen too ! :laugh:

Bat-Brick 'B Rick' ! :grin:

Thanks guys!

Ofcourse, Mr Batman doesn't mind Miss Pussycat riding his rod once in a while (pun intended ofcourse)...

Yes Only Sinner, 7 stud route has worked remarkably well for the Batmobile. There are some issues like the jet-engine fitting between those wingpieces. Since these pics I was able to improve this, amongst other details. I'm happy to tell you that I also have 'chopped' the windscreens, sectioned the body, and lowered the rear of the body. The car had too much of a hotrod stance in this smaller version to give it some groundclearance. By replacing the reversed slopes on the sides underneath The car was able to sit lower and still being drivable. But doing so I stumbled upon tireclearance inside the body. So another thing I changed are the detailing around the rocketlauncher. Don't know how I did it but I've managed to make the 'trunk' slope more evenly like it's big brother, or even like the real car. Now there are still just a few minor details that kinda bother me, like the slopes around the windscreens for instance... I need some other slope-bricks but don't want to canibalize my other builds.

I made the mistake before of posting photos of my build just before changing it again, so I think I'll wait till I'm completely happy...

;-)

EDIT!!!

--- Oops! I think I have solved the problem! I've cleaned up the frontend which gave me the extra slope-pieces I needed to clean up the windscreen suroundings!! ---

I'm as happy as a little kid playing with his Legos! ...wait a minute... ;-)

Edited by B Rick

moc_7_batmobile_15.jpg

^ The Batmobile got an upgrade! Bodywork all around. New pics at the start of this thread! I'll let them speak for itself. Here is one just for comparison with a Legend Beast from Chima.

Its beautiful! Nicely designed and a great tribute to the classic batmobiel. I also like seeing it in different colors as well, great job!

Its beautiful! Nicely designed and a great tribute to the classic batmobiel. I also like seeing it in different colors as well, great job!

Thanks Delta! The other colors where used out of necessity, but I agree, they look great too and are fun to look at.

A Lego car that is small yet still fits more than 2 minifigures? You sir, you get it. Congratulations, is all I can say.

Except for the part that the car 'only' fits two minifigures and not 'more than 2 minifures' this must be the best compliment I could ever get. A lot of people admire big builds while I think the creativity lies in the smaller ones. It's really hard to make an attractive, let alone a legendary vehicle so small that it will fit in a town scenery and still hold two minigiures next to eachother.

So thank you very much Freddy!

I even did some more tinkering and I can tell you that the underside frontend has a more flowing line to it. On the rear decklid I removed the tiles and got rid of the grillepiece. I also flattened it out a bit more by moving the upper black wingpieces one stud forward. The two regular exausts are moved forward. In the interior I've replaced the cheeseslopes with the 1x2 darkred bowpieces.

Again, a step closer to completion...

Edited by B Rick

I love this so much. You have made a really great job of the classic 60s bat mobile, which is one of the hardest cars to build I think, especially at this scale. I would love to see an official model of this car, I wonder if children are still familiar with it. Would you consider showing some break down shots so we can copy your build please?

:classic:

I love this so much. You have made a really great job of the classic 60s bat mobile, which is one of the hardest cars to build I think, especially at this scale. I would love to see an official model of this car, I wonder if children are still familiar with it. Would you consider showing some break down shots so we can copy your build please?

:classic:

Thank you robuko!

That means a lot coming from a builder of your stature...

As an official set eh... Well, I'm thinking about putting it up at Cuusoo. I got some ideas to work out a small scene around it. In the meantime the Batmobile itself only got better. I got hold of a lot of the older dark red pieces so I replaced all red. And finally the red wingpieces are in place. Also, I gave the car some more characteristic detailing, and even some 'play features'. Then I smoothed it out slightly more.

I've been wondering the same thing, about children nowadays. I got a feeling that they won't like the 66 batmobile more than everyone that came after it. Unless some kids also have the nostalgia-bug... I'm afraid that to all other kids it's nothing more than a unlogical car from a 'stupidly childish' tv show... So this hypothetical release should be pointed towards an adult nostalgic audience.

As I am a show'n'tell kinda guy I will be more than happy to make some detail photographs of the (de)construction of the car, but I have to check Cuusoo's policy first...

Edited by B Rick

I'm torn between several ideas for the car. I haven't posted much about it lately but the car has undergone various stages of rebuilding. It had three different frontends and two rearends. The wheelbase has been stretched and widened. But the car has had several more major updates... The best of em all, I got the dark red wing pieces front and back! Also, the double bubbletop-cockpit has more articulation and is moved forward 1 stud. It now features an all new detailed interior which I'll show whenthe car is finished. I managed to flatten the bodywork even more (1 plate lower) and has a lot of Batman gadgets which I'll keep under my hat for now... As I thought I almost finished the whole car I got another idea for the fenders. Not completely sure about it. I'll have to let it sink in... I know it's more acurate this way but I kinda mis the evil hotrod look my original design had... The wheels now have 5 studs between them instead of 3. At least I have got the red line dropped down.

This is the old version:

batmobile_1.jpg

Parts I'm waiting for:

black 2x4 rooftoppieces

loads of black 1x1s and 1x3's

cockpit windows in translucent lightblue.

red technicbricks with axlepins

Oh, and I've also been busy with a Gotham decor for the car. A typical 1966 Batman scene. Just need some parts for the base and than I can show it to ya.

Edited by B Rick

I eventually want this Batmobile to become a Cuusoo project but I'm torn between two ideas...

Help me decide on the wheeltreatment guys!

Here are some new pics to compare old and new. I'll let them speak for themselves. Info is in previous posts :classic:

batmobile_4.jpg

batmobile_5.jpg

batmobile_6.jpg

Thanks for your input!

Edited by B Rick

The new wheel treatment is a definite improvement, thumbs up from me

Thanks! I think so too, now that I've taken the Batmobile on a more 'realistic' route. You should know that those earlier 'architectual' arches as seen on the monster fighters hearse together with it's headlighttreatment was in fact THE inspiration for me building the Batmobile. Now I have replaced these with more city-theme arches that fit so well. Didn't know these short version even existed. AND in the right colour.

Another detail I've added is the offset sidestripe, ...but that part isn't available in dark red, so I've added a sticker. Maybe I should replace the dark red with regular red, BUT...those new arches aren't available in regular red...

Check out this GREAT movie member LegoGalactus has made! It's a tribute to all of the Batmans from last 75 years. The ideas are great and the montage, including the soundtrack is supurb. Now wouldn't it be great to use a bigger budget on a movie like this..? Personally I was anxious to see what the '66 batmobile looked like, since I'm highly focussed on that car as I'm awaiting for a LegoCuusoo aproval on my design... And what do I see? (0:26) It's my design! :-)

Check it out here:

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=94860#entry1877660

Edited by B Rick

cartboard_crusaders_b.jpg

Hello there fellow citizens! Did you notice I've finished my Batmobile and have placed all new beautyshots in the beginning of this thread?

I've registered it on Cuusoo, so YOU could make it possible for it to be officially made by the Lego company and make my childhood dream come true...

All you have to do is VOTE!

Thanks for watchin!...and see you soon.Same Bat-time, same Bat-channel...

Could one of the moderators or administers change the title of this topic to

'1966 Batman (dis)playset on Cuusoo!'

Thanks!

Edited by B Rick

Unbelievably Good!

Thanks! I may use that as a quote some day... ;)

Great job on the batmobile. But I've never seen those type of windows. How would I get them? Is there a part #?

Thanks lego-fan! Look closer. It's actually a very common piece.

http://brickset.com/parts/4217722

These can be found on lot's of Creator-sets of late.

Edited by B Rick

Do you have an LDD version? I want to build this so bad! Definitely my favorite BB and yours is the best I've seen in LEGO.

Edited by flailx

Do you have an LDD version? I want to build this so bad! Definitely my favorite BB and yours is the best I've seen in LEGO.

Thanks flailx!

No, I haven't worked with LDD yet...

hey folks. It looks like there is already instructions to build the 1966 lego batmobile here.

Holy cr*p! Somebody actually stole my design, and then tries to sell it!!! As you easilly can see, it isn't quite as acurate as mine though... But I have it on lego-ideas as a proposal...

Thanks for pointing out. Now, who has some advise how to handle these kind of sh*tguys??

It looks like it's been removed from the site, so I hope that's problem solved for you, B Rick. If it comes back up, you can PM me to remove the links here if they get posted again.