madjelly

Unimog for 14-year-old as a first set

Heya!

I picked up last Unimog from local TRU for $100 :devil: . Got it for myself at first. Then thought that brother-in-law, who is 14, is interested in technic, but can't afford it. Was thinking of giving Unimog to him since I already have one and $100 for that set qualifies it as a good present.

The only thing I am not sure about is whether it will be too complicated for him. He has some City sets, but never had technic. He is a bright kid, but I am not sure if he will be able to put it together and enjoy the process.

Is Unimog a good start (considering the piece/$$$) or maybe I should get more simple kit for him?

Thanks

I think the Unimog is a perfect starter set for a Technic lover (lots of pieces, pneumatics, PF) and i do not think it will be to hard for him to build the set. You got the set at a wonderful price, i envy you :laugh:

I'm sure you will give hime a hand - its a good starter set as it will give him lots of pieces to experiment with too....

Taking into account the size of a model and number of parts that would be a perfect present! Age range on a box is recomendation only and shouldn't be an issue if this is not a first LEGO. I remember when I was a kid I used to get sets which had higher recomended age than I had - no problems there.

The Unimog is a great starter set. It will keep him occupied for years. My first technic set was over twenty years ago and I still use the parts now. It kept me going for years.

H

I would give it to him. The set has a lot of variety, so will be a good start for him. He is fourteen, he should be able to build it ok. He will understand what it is all about later, when he has it built.

If he can follow directions in the manual, then it should be fine to give to him.

I am a technic lego fan. I recently bought lego city sets from the tow truck to a winter house for my Christmas train layout. The directions for technic sets seem much easier with 1-2 piece steps versus 10-20 piece steps that add pieces all over like a hidden object game. So if he can handle city sets, technic will be a breeze.

So many good inputs :classic: . Now gonna ask him if he wants it lol. That guy is stuck between video games, school, and piano. I would love for him to get addicted to LEGO, but will see. If he is not much into Unimog, maybe get him crawler. RC should be fun too.

I find the Unimog far more interesting then the Crawler, if you want something RC you should be looking in 8043 way.

i think he should be able to build it, and maybe if he wants RC, he can make the unimog RC, i have seen enough people doing that,a also some 14/15 year olds

To me 8110 is the best starter set - it offers the fullest Technic experience:

- it has pneumatics in decent amount

- it has Power Functions

- it has working suspension

- it has a great MODing potential

- it comes with big number and great variety of parts (good collection base)

- it is a great display model (awesome aesthetics!)

What is also important in your brother-in-law's age - it does not look childish while standing on the shelf and he will not be ashamed to show it off to friends with "we are so mature"-attitude.

Also - I have tested the instruction on younger kids (10-12) and they did just fine (they just needed a little help with tubing) - so I guess you should not be concerned about that :)

My nine year old is putting hers together without problem.

One thing I would recommend.. Go watch a few YouTube videos of the wonder that is a Mercedes Unimog. As an American, I had no idea how many configurations and applications there are for that amazing machine. Its the Swiss army knife of vehicles!

Edited by gbshuler

Just make sure he doesn't get tired building it. The build is long, which is of course good, but can be hard for those who are new to Technic.

Anyway, an excellent set to start with.

Edited by LegoGBC

how?, the set is just 2 or 3 years old

7 years old this year actually. Time sure flies.

Also, the Unimog would be fine for a 14 year old I should think, the recommended age range is 11-16 after all :classic: