Sign in to follow this  
glenbricker

Vardo (Romani Wagon)

ARg! Sorry I should have put [MOC] at the front of the Topic Title, but I cannot figure out how to change the title now that it is sumbitted. If someone can tell me how I would be very appreciative.

thumb640x360.png

I have been thinking of doing this project for years. But I was always too busy and could not quite figure out how it would work. Trying to cram a lot of curvy color into a Lego build can be pretty daunting. And then on top of that, making it as complex and "Modular style" on the inside as possible.

I had a real blocker though. I wanted one of the figures to have a Lute...how do you build a Lute in Lego.

Well, this kept just taking up brain space, kept distracting me. So I finally brought it up with my friend Alatariel. We turned it into a personal Iron Builder challenge. And that really just broke ope the dam. Even the Lute itself, just 3 elements was a collaboration that brought out the best of our styles.

thumb640x360.png

All in all this is probably one of my favorite personal builds. I keep working on the Cabinet though...cramming that much detail into such a tight space is a real challenge. The dimension of the bed worked out perfectly though and the dead space under it really allowed me to add a lot of detail on the back.

thumb640x360.png

Getting that ring in the middle of the "diamond" takes up a LOT of real-estate.

thumb640x360.png

This last piece is a "zoom in" on the Lute. If you are familiar with Patrick Rothfuss and his Kingkiller Chronicle series of books, well, this is where I got the idea for building a Vardo. They are real things. But reading the books is what got me wanting to build one.

The guy on the Left is a "portrait" of the Author that I figure fans might get a kick out of.

If you really like this you can vote for it on Cuusoo

Edited by glenbricker

Ooh, I'm a big fan of the Kingkiller Chronicle! Love the wagon and Kvothe and Rothfuss look amazingly spot on. Supported on CUUSOO.

Nice MOC, with so many details. I can image what a challenge it was to actually build this from idea to reality.

Excelent job!

But are all bricks avaliable in those colors in reality?

Great looking wagon! It reminds me of my childhood. When I was a kid, Gipsies were riding around in wagons like this one. The only thing that's missing is a bear, they always had a dancing bear with them!