Sign in to follow this  
Bonaparte

The Eldorado (6276) baseplate

The blue color at the bottom of the baseplate is representing the water.

However, on all the real pictures of the Eldorado fortress that I find on the internet, the water (on the front) is much higher as depicted on the peeron instruction.

I prefer the lower water because it is most realistic. The high water would flood part of the ramp.

Now I wonder if all the sets are with the high water, while the pictures on the box/instructions depict the set with low water.

46f3_1.jpg

3.jpg

Its hard to tell when there's a dock built over the water line but I'm sure the water level on my Eldorado Fortress is lower than the one you've got pictured, however its not as low as the waterline in the instruction image.

I've also noticed that no two waterlines are the same and therefore the texture can vary quite a bit.

It is the same issue as the small island baseplate, I have 4-5 and no two have the water meet the shore on the same stud...

God Bless,

Nathan

Let's take a look on the pictures on the box, shall we?

6276-1.jpg

Mmmmh, it's obviously lower than on the picture you show us, Mr Bonaparte.

But on this picture (from the Pictorial Review by Mister Phes) it's the same.

front.jpg

Where did you find the picture, Mr B? Perhaps there are difference between American, European or whatever versions. Sadly, I don't own this fine set, so I can't post any pictures of it...

Mr Tiber

Mmmmh, it's obviously lower than on the picture you show us, Mr Bonaparte.

That picture is actually from the set I bought yesterday in the UK.

I found another set on eBay (in Germany) that also had the "high water".

I'll post a better picture of my Eldorado fortress once it has arrived.

I think this was brought up on the BrickLink forum by ImperialScouts, but it's been purged. Apparently the water levels on the baseplates from EF and ITP were different.

But these are differences between different EF sets.

Was that also mentioned in the post on BL?

It is the same issue as the small island baseplate, I have 4-5 and no two have the water meet the shore on the same stud...

I've noticed this too because quite often when I'm building Sabre Island or Ship Wreck Island I notice the print behind the stud is always slightly different to the picture in the instructions.

I've noticed this too because quite often when I'm building Sabre Island or Ship Wreck Island I notice the print behind the stud is always slightly different to the picture in the instructions.

Yes, I was very frustrated the first time, not realizing the reason...

God Bless,

Nathan

I have the awnser!

As you see here on my EF, the water level is very high:

FRONT-DOCK-HIGHWATERLEVEL.jpg

But at the ramp it goes down, so the water is not visible under the dock, and it is down on the left side:

RAMP-LOWERWATERLEVEL.jpg

But in the back of the fort (Back-left corner) the lower water level rises:

lOWERWATERLEVEL-ADAPTS.jpg

WHich would seem to be an error to me considering the box pics are of the original, and that the BL seller who sold me mine said it was the 1989 original version.

Errr... What are the answer Norrington? That the majority of Elodrado Fortress base plates are errorenously printed?

Errr... What are the answer Norrington?

I'm not quite sure what my point for that was.. :S

I think you were pointing out the printing on the water was uneven from one side of your Elodrado Fortress baseplate to the other.

It appears no two Eldorado Fortress baseplates are the same. It must have been the production method used at the time.

I think this was brought up on the BrickLink forum by ImperialScouts, but it's been purged. Apparently the water levels on the baseplates from EF and ITP were different.

Right you are, but unfortunately, threads over 6 months go straight into the trash can, which I find a shame :-( .

I wonder if I mentioned it here in the Pirate forum. but I suppose that is lost in Davy Jone's locker.

Here is a picture of the 2 loose baseplates I found today:

baseplates.jpg

One indeed has the high water, the other has the lower water level. My guess is that one once belonged to a 6277 Imperial Trading Post while the other might have served a 6276 Eldorado Fortress.

I also noticed that their are stone pattern differences between the two baseplates.

I also noticed that their are stone pattern differences between the two baseplates.

How very true! I did not even notice that at first since I only "concentrated" on the water levels. Higher rockies and cliffs... Since I do not own a complete 6276 Eldorado Fortress I can not compare it with that set. And my used copy of the 6277 Imperial Trading Post is currently packed away and too much trouble to retrieve... :-|

I was more refering to the stones on the ramp...but those rocks are true too!

Here is a picture of the 2 loose baseplates I found today:

One indeed has the high water, the other has the lower water level. My guess is that one once belonged to a 6277 Imperial Trading Post while the other might have served a 6276 Eldorado Fortress.

That is very strange indeed.....my Imperial Trading Post uses the one on the right. Shall I post this on the Bricklink forums and see what the experts say?

That is very strange indeed.....my Imperial Trading Post uses the one on the right. Shall I post this on the Bricklink forums and see what the experts say?

I've already posted such a thing there. My objective was to try to get two entries for the seperate bases into the catalogue. I forgot the outcome, but it was most likely overlooked. But unfortunately, since the '6 months' thing, the thread is long gone since it was made in November. Go ahead and make the thread, though, let's see what we get :capn: .

perhaps this is legos attempt to introduce depth to their base plates that went wrong during production?

ImperialScouts:"I was more refering to the stones on the ramp... (...)"

WRONG! If you look, they are both the same! The difference on the ramp is an illusion caused by the fact that you are looking at them both at the same time, therefore, at different angles. Look, you'll see that one is right in the middle of your sight, and the other is farther left, which makes them appear different.

I'm afraid you're wrong Mr. Norrington. Look how the stones on the ramp are placed relatively to the studs - they're not the same. It looks like it's the same pattern, but it's placed differently. The same goes for the cliffs - the patterns of rocks and water are the same, however on the right baseplate the pattern is moved down compared to the left baseplate, and that's why the water line is lower too. Actually it looks like it's moved not only down but also right, however it's hard to tell as we don't see the whole baseplates here.

Actually, the distance and direction in which the pattern on the cliff is moved looks exactly the same as the one of the ramp/top pattern. If you look at the picture, it looks like the whole pattern was moved "towards you" on the right baseplate.

Edited by Dreamweb

I'm afraid you're wrong Mr. Norrington.

I did not say that they are different on the sides of the base plates. They do appear to be at the same or very near the same levels on the ramp.