CopMike

Eurobricks Event 2014 - Architecture competition

I´ve changed the rules so keep them coming!

Oh no! He has altered the deal! Next he'll force us to wear clown shoes and ride unicycles! *oh2*

Oh no! He's altered the deal! Next he'll force us to wear clown shoes and ride unicycles! *oh2*

Next up: Entries are only allowed if they are Friends-themed?? :look::laugh:

(Instant win for our Irish friends bfenz and dfenz!)

I'll make a water tower from my hometown.
What´s it´s name and location?

The local name is Vodovodni stolp, and the location is Kranj. The name translates to English as a Water tower. It was built in the early 20th century from 1908-11. It was kept partly as a monument of the era's technical achievements. At the time, the tower was situated at the outskirts of Kranj, but as the town grew after WWII, a residential area was built and renamed after the tower. The tower still has its function today. I'll try to find more details about it before the event.

What´s it´s name and location?

Great, thanks!

And keep in mind - Archtiecture style is the way to go, so be sure to have for example the black 1x8 etc tiles as the parts at the sides of the baseplate thing!

Changing, the rules! :oh3: Now I feel unsecure about my choice! :tongue:

Is there a minimum or maximum scale for Architecture sets? Can't find the actual scale of the existing sets anywhere.

Tempting as this church in Enschede may be, I've picked something else.

legokerkdannydevries.jpeg

Instead I've started on the iconic Rietveld Schroder house:

Rietveld_Schroder_rect540.jpg

Duq,

I vote for the Schroder house, too. Cheers! :laugh:

Edited by Legogal

The church was built as a temporary structure for a festival but locals are now trying to keep it because they like something colourful in their neighbourhood.

You know what happened to the Eiffel tower...

Wow! God bless them because a little color is nice for sure! A few colorful bushes and some flower boxes could help, too, with little expense. Maybe my words were too harsh.

It is interesting how well the Eiffel Tower is loved now compared to when it was built.

Looks like the Usonian exhibit house will have to be built on my own schedule due to some unexpected business travel and a close friend being near death after a long struggle. Also the long winter killed half of the plants in our yard, and we have to replace them by May first due to summer heat. Argh!

The base for the house has been a real pain. It is three layers of plates 30 by 64 studs including the black tile trim. How do you get the buggers to lie flat? Without a flat base, the house will be crooked, too. The top two layers of plates are new and range from 16 by 16 down to 4 by 4. Any suggestions as to how to build a flat base? The walls are going just fine, but I am afraid to attach them. My other builds have all been on single large base plates without this problem.

Edited by Legogal

The larger the plates, the more likely they are to warp slightly. The smaller plates you use, the more likely you are to get a flat base. Also, I'd imagine you'd be better off without stacking several wide plates on top of each other, but rather make do with 1x and 2x plates underneath the top ones, just around the edges, like the official sets do. Am I making sense...? Funny how hard simple thoughts are to put down in words, especially in a foreign language... :)

L@go,

Thanks! That makes sense. Your English is just fine!

I was trying to use smaller plates on the bottom layer, medium sized on the middle layer, and larger ones on the top layer. Forget that!

I thought that maybe the smaller plates were the warped ones, but will try to replace the larger plates with smaller ones with plenty of those in stock.

Shoot me! Whoever thought building the base would be so tough! :laugh:

(Time to quit laughing. The sky has turned black at 5pm/1700 and our roof sounds like it is about to blow off. Uh oh.)

Edited by Legogal

It is three layers of plates 30 by 64 studs including the black tile trim.

Wow! Thats gonna be one huge architecture model.. (It seems to be "a thing" to go big in the US, no? :laugh: )

Rolli,

If I were a more skilled builder, I would indeed make it smaller. But this size uses the smallest 1 by 1 clear tile made for a window.

The next step is dark slots for windows like in the Imperial Hotel, which requires more skill than I have. ( Someone who really knows how to put these "thangs" together, could do an awesome micro, but it ain't gonna be me for a very long time.)

It will not be leaving our house, so photos will comprise the only viewing of it.

Yup, you are correct. Most things are "big" in the US, especially our general lack of knowledge of foreign languages, geography, history, and fine, slow cooked food. Usually quantity is much more important than quality in the US culture. Sometimes this is good, and sometimes it is not so good. I hope that your long future includes a lot of international travel because it is very entertaining seeing other cultures in real time. Cheers!

Looking forward to see all those wonderful entries. Unfortunately I'm working on a large project which needs all of my spare time so I'll have to skip this one.

Soon it´s time to show what you´ve come up with :sweet: ! Put the final touches to the Moc and presentation!

And btw - the competiton is closed regarding new entries :laugh: !

Final touches? More like build the thing :laugh:

:look:

I'm getting on that this weekend ...

Me and my wife moved to another house in March.

Sadly, all my Lego is in storage and has been for several months now.

So, unfortunately, I cannot take part in this wonderful competition.

Me and my wife moved to another house in March.

Another? Well, somebody has the $$$ to have two houses :grin:! No worries, you can just be tough on those who entered saying things like - "That could have been done better!" or "Oh, it´s supposed to be a bridge?!" :devil: !

As I won't be able to join you, I asked MstrOfPppts to present my model. I hope that's fine, if not, there's a call for rule changes. :sweet:

I´ve changed the rules so keep them coming!

I'll do my best to persuade show the jury that your model deserves to win!

Thanks. I know your persuading showing skills are well developed. :laugh:

I'll do my best to persuade show the jury that your model deserves to win!

Final touches? More like build the thing :laugh:

:look:

I'm getting on that this weekend ...

... and done! :grin:

Thanks. I know your persuading showing skills are well developed. :laugh:

And it was presented very well. Heh

Hopefully some of the photographers can post ther range of entries.

Thanks for letting me know this, Peppy.

And it was presented very well. Heh

Hopefully some of the photographers can post ther range of entries.

MstrOfPppts mentioned there were amazing entries, so I'm really looking forward seeing the pictures of the other entries.