Sign in to follow this  
B-Lister

Why are so many people against custom decos?

In many toy collecting circles, customization and kitbashing are celebrated extensions of the hobby, but with Lego, there is a very clear dividing line. You're either for, or against custom prints/decos.

So, my question is a means to gain perspective...why are you against custom prints/decos (if you are)?

Edited by B-Lister

I think it's more that people don't like the shoddy backyard custom jobs ruining what would otherwise be a nice clean original print, that you could otherwise reuse indefinitely.

Also, there are so many parts, colours and prints available from original Lego that many feel it is better to use these "pure" elements (if possible) if it's necessary to make a new or improved minifig than to spoil perfectly good elements.

I see a lot of superhero, SW clone or castle knight customs that look very unprofessional. I also see some that look really good. I also see stacks of "custom" castle knights that only use "pure" elements that look really good.

I'm currently recreating a classic minifig in new colours. That has required making new torso prints & removing existing prints. If the end result looks good I will be happy, but I don't know if too many Harry Potter fans will be glad that I've desecrated Dumbledore's legs in the process, and I'm certain that the pirate fans would think it a waste that all my blue-coats are headless & in with the spare parts.

To sum up, I think a lot of the time the customs don't look as good as official stuff, or they change a part that can't be changed back to what it was. (I received painted horses in a 2nd hand lot once, the job didn't look good and the paint didn't come off properly. Ruined.)

Edited by Artanis I

A lot of people are against Batbrick (Flickr User) a guy who made custom prints with stolen design and made people's time on Flickr a nightmare. He got deleted then came back as PremiumCustomWork who is also known as poppunkmonkey on eBay, He was on Eurobricks for a short time to and was rudely defending poppunkmonkey (He claims he just sponcers him, when they really are the same person) to peoples claims about on a post about can pop be trusted. He was banned and is now deleted on Flickr and his customs are now being sold for around $3 or less. This is one thing that has brought a lot of hate to printing.

Edited by Dayton

I'm a fan of some, I dislike others. It really comes down to personal tastes, but I know some people who are purists who are just positively repulsed by some of the custom printed stuff I own (not to mention 3rd party accessories, cut parts, and selectively Brasso'd official prints). One of my purist friends saw a couple of zombies in one of my displays, and had to know which set I got them from because he thought they were official. When I told him they were customs, he promptly turned his nose up and said, "Ugh, nevermind."

Well I'm only against those customs which didn't really devote themselves to designs. I personally see customization as a kind of pure artwork, as Artanis mentioned some of the non-original decos can't afford playability so we don't put them with official figures. Much like sewing clothes for dolls, if you're not a good tailor, the custom wouldn't allow you to take off and put on.

Sorry I am not fluent in the lingo but what is a "deco"? Is that short for "decoration" or "decal"?

Thank you for the information.

What I gather is that most are all in favor if the deco is 1) Well made, 2) Well printed, and 3) Original/not stolen or used without permission.

Right B-Lister, while there are a few snobbish (no offence to the hard-liners) purists, most people just prefer that you give credit where credit is due and make a nice clean custom. I've seen some great non-purist customs and that happens to be how I roll. Non-pursit, not great, haha. I work almost exclusively with minifigs, and I rarely post my work due to time constraints and self confidence. Still, the great thing about this site is that there are so many differing opinions that you'll find support on either side of the fence.

Customs all the way! Custom minifig quality and detail has improved by leaps and bounds over the last couple years. It used to be that customs consisted of minifigs with either paper stickers/labels or waterslide decals. Now, there are customizers using PAD printing techniques to make minifigs with better paint jobs than genuine Lego minifigs IMO.

I work almost exclusively with minifigs, and I rarely post my work due to time constraints and self confidence.

I think I can speak for a few of us here who would love to see your work. Critique and praise lead to great things. ;)

I have a theory that 'purist', as a term, was created by a LEGO insider. Somehow, however, I find myself usually trying to remain purist. Still, I've cut, chopped and borrowed from other sources a number of times, so the ideal must not have taken too good of a hold on me.

My purist decision is a completely personal one. I could never design (and definitely never apply) decals to figures that'd look any good.

I'm not against them, some people do amazing stuff. I'd just not buy any not TLG figure.

I also like the purist challenge.

The only thing that would get in the way of custom work for me is bad design and bad printing.

I own quite a few custom printed figures... I'll always go to pad printed where possible. I've done decals for myself and actually sold a few.

For me it's down to whether I could put that custom figure next to an official TLG figure and have it look like it's meant to be there. If it looks good then it's fine with me.

As a designer, the aesthetic is really important to me. I shudder at some of the crap I've seen with adhesive stickers and equally badly designed stuff.

As much as some people may not like it the influx of replica Lego figures from the east is actually a good thing for me in the custom market. No they're not official Lego pieces but the printing is much MUCH closer... they have their issues with quality control but it's bringing the prices of custom figures right down and making them accessible to people for a fraction of the cost.

The issue on this is that they're copying some designs without credit... but I've seen plenty of figures sold that are copied from official TLG designs (or slight derivatives) and now these are available at something closer to pad printing for less than the price of a CMF.

I only ever go for these figs where there isn't a TLG official version... it's a good way of filling gaps. Hell... I recently got a version of the computer game Flash (with the full helmet and wings) for only £3.

I'm all for it to a degree. I do it only when I have no choice, almost exclusively with Superheroes. Some people say some of it's unnecessary, I say it isn't. Some people just don't get how important a bolt, or a purple line, or a pair of bracelets are to a character, it is their defining feature in some cases, fundamental. I'll go miles to make a purist fig, but sometimes, that's just not good enough.

My own decals are terrible, barely accurate and coloured in by hand, and to a lot of other people, I expect some of them look like trash. But that's because I use a desk lamp, comic pricing stickers, and colouring pencils. I'm a Lego fan not a professional printer! If a custom is sold to the public, I'd expect a top notch print job, and I can understand if someone is frustrated if it looks bad and is bad. But if it's mine then it's mine, I like feedback but if their going to be rude than they can go away. I don't really understand that second part but I guess that's life. I make my figures how I want them, if that fits with what Lego has got then great, if not, I can live with it.

I think that's ultimately the most important point. Lego is, by it's very nature, a modifiable medium.

In the same way a MOC is a build that is something personal to an individual then the modding of a mini figure is the same.

If it's something for your own enjoyment (and ultimately shouldn't that just be what it's about?) then you are the only judge of your work that matters.

Exactly, though its always nice to hear what others think about your work. I get a lot of stick that I'm not using my creative skills when making a non purist but, am I not, expanding, the box to think in when I think about what I add to a non purist figure, still using my creative thinking?

Edited by Dr Leg O Brick

I think it's fair to like or dislike something. With things of this nature there will always be divided opinions.

I love the idea of customising to make something "your own", especially if the subject matter is not available officially. It's something I am drawn to personally.

That said I can totally see why people feel strongly about preserving the pure/official parts.

I guess it depends on the reason for customising and the way it's done?