Sign in to follow this  
MKJoshA

[GNAR] The Half-Brother

13229070674_ababd59bf1_c.jpg

The Half-Brother makes berth in Erikson, the Royal Port of Mitgardia. Erikson has been getting lots of extra activity as the naval race between the four guilds raged on. The Half-Brother’s captain, Sven, had been hired by Lief to transport goods between Mitgardia and the war-afflicted Avalonians. Migardia had an excess of oil from Kaliphlin they were trading to the Avalonians for their use in defending their cities against the Drow with boiling oil. Lief was a Mitgardian entrepreneur who knew a good opportunity when he saw one. He bought up much of the excess oil from the Kaliphlin traders and began hiring trade ships to move it from Erikson to Avalonia. He decided to accompany The Half-Brother as it would be the first ship to deliver the oil and he wanted to ensure everything had been set up properly. Sven, knowing the dangerous state of the seas these days, had hired a couple long-bowmen to protect his ship. He also had heard rumors that any sea-worthy vessel may soon be asked to protect Mitgardian seas. He was able to hire two of the best long-bowmen in Erikson. Lyle and Otar came highly recommended, in spite of the fact that Lyle had only one eye. They wore light armor to protect them if battle were to come upon them on the high seas and were especially skilled at shooting fiery arrows at enemy ships.

13228694195_4807fa6610_c.jpg

13228735785_fec733f3f6_c.jpg

13228877423_618164cf84_c.jpg

13229006254_62b2f5f54a_c.jpg

From Left to Right: Sven, the captain; William, 2nd in command; Lief, the entrepreneur; the helmsman, 4 of the best Mitgardian saliors; Otar and Lyle, the bowmen.

13229055714_fc849d2704_z.jpg

13229051694_e77feba0ff_z.jpg

13228709955_24dc71c03b_z.jpg

13228843903_1c606b25dd_z.jpg

13229015634_9b5af323d3_z.jpg

13228680675_3719089a72_z.jpg

13228998834_4978f12939_z.jpg

13228994924_19bcca3782_z.jpg

Great job! The raven crest on the sail is lovely! :wub: And the the picture with all the figs lined up with the ship is very nice. :thumbup:

Forgive me, but I'm in the spirit. GNAR SHE BLOWS! :laugh:

Very nice, but I fear that one of the Midgardian sailors is a Kaliphlin immigrant! :laugh: I wonder where his loyalties lie...

We are a diverse bunch here in Mitgardia. I'm afraid you have mistaken one of our beloved citizens for someone he is not. Shame on you for your racially preconceived ideas.

That is a very lovely cog. Good to see you're making use of that oil that got dumped here at our doorsteps! I'd take off the steering wheel though, that wasn't invented until late into the 18th century.

Lovely brick built sail :wub: The detailing on the deck is excellent as well, especially the cargo and hatches to lower floors :classic:

As others have said, that sail is awesome. Got any up-close pictures of the Raven? I would love to see how it was done. It looks like its tail is a minifigure fan, which is a great part use!

That ship looks very good, but it's the brick-built sail which really stands out here. Great job on that! :classic:

Fantastic sail there! Excellent curve, I'm very impressed! Good work with the rest of the MOC too!

Great job! The raven crest on the sail is lovely! :wub: And the the picture with all the figs lined up with the ship is very nice. :thumbup:

Forgive me, but I'm in the spirit. GNAR SHE BLOWS! :laugh:

Awesome work, I love the sail, and the raven design on the sail!

That sail is sweet! Great build

:classic:

Lovely brick built sail :wub: The detailing on the deck is excellent as well, especially the cargo and hatches to lower floors :classic:

That ship looks very good, but it's the brick-built sail which really stands out here. Great job on that! :classic:

Nice boat and excellent job on the sail!

Fantastic sail there! Excellent curve, I'm very impressed! Good work with the rest of the MOC too!

Thank you everyone! I'm glad you all like the sail. I had a lot of wing pieces from my Star Wars sets that haven't been getting much attention and I though this was a good use of them.

As others have said, that sail is awesome. Got any up-close pictures of the Raven? I would love to see how it was done. It looks like its tail is a minifigure fan, which is a great part use!

13229043064_a115753904.jpg

Is this any better? It is a fan piece for the tail, one of the multi-stud 1x1 bricks for the body, the new wing pieces from Chima for the wings, and a horn for the head.

That is a very lovely cog. Good to see you're making use of that oil that got dumped here at our doorsteps! I'd take off the steering wheel though, that wasn't invented until late into the 18th century.

What did they use before the wheel?

they pretty much just used the rudder pin below decks (cog of Bremen):

hkwerft02.jpg

I've seen what looks like the predecessor to the steering wheel on medieval ships, where it looks similar to a capstan, which is what I used on my ship. Mines not the nice looking, since I'm still working on the final design, but it's here if you want to kind of see what I'm talking about.

they pretty much just used the rudder pin below decks (cog of Bremen):

Ok, thanks for the enlightenment :classic: I think I'm going to leave the wheel even though it's historically inaccurate. This is still GoH after all. Elves and Dwarfs aren't historically accurate either :wink: . If I make any other boats I think I will use the rudder pin idea though.

I've seen what looks like the predecessor to the steering wheel on medieval ships, where it looks similar to a capstan, which is what I used on my ship. Mines not the nice looking, since I'm still working on the final design, but it's here if you want to kind of see what I'm talking about.

I really like how your steering mechanism is turning out. It looks great! I like that the first two boats for the GNAR challenge have been from Mitgardia.

looks awesome, i love raven on the sail

Thanks!

I'm looking at ships from the game Skyrim for inspiration! You all should play Skyrim sometime, it's much like GoH.

I try to avoid games that eat up as much time as Skyrim does. I do have a job and family in addition to my Lego addiction. That doesn't leave much time for other "addictions." But thanks for the suggestion :classic: .

I'm looking at ships from the game Skyrim for inspiration! You all should play Skyrim sometime, it's much like GoH.

I think that's why Mitgardia has had such an inrush of members, many are probably inspired by Skyrim :wink:

I like that the first two boats for the GNAR challenge have been from Mitgardia.

Hammer is actually Avalonia :wink: but there will be more Mitgardian ships I'm sure, can't wait for Janatale to finish his big project

@TUB: I just checked Skyrim pics and I have to say they don't really convince me. I'd much rather prefer GoT ships as inspiration, much more realistic and detailed

Hammer is actually Avalonia :wink: but there will be more Mitgardian ships I'm sure, can't wait for Janatale to finish his big project

@TUB: I just checked Skyrim pics and I have to say they don't really convince me. I'd much rather prefer GoT ships as inspiration, much more realistic and detailed

I think all this historical accuracy stuff is getting taken a bit far, after all, it is a fantasy world inhabited by anthropomorphic ravens and minotaurs. It's a completely different universe from ours, so I really don't think that it matters whether or not these ships have steering wheels. After all, doesn't one of the Nocturnian categories include the souls of children for a method of propulsion? That's not very historically accurate. Just my two cents though.