Sign in to follow this  
MatthewH

What will happen when you run out of space?

gallery_101_23_908.jpg

I don't have that much room left to display legos. My parents said I can't display them in the living room. I have the death star in there because it can't fit in my room. Put them on the floor? LOL. My friend was joking about me being a lego hoarder.

What about you guys?

You could put up a shelf on your wall, if you don't already have one.

Switch out periodically between themes or subthemes. Sure, it's sometimes hard to decide which sets should be put back in the box (or storage container), but in the end, a neat display is better than a cluttered, messy one.

Move out to your own house and decide what you put where :-)

And enjoy every moment of it, because once your girlfriend moves in with you, the LEGO has to be out of sight again.

I solved that one by buying a bigger house :-)

Switch out periodically between themes or subthemes. Sure, it's sometimes hard to decide which sets should be put back in the box (or storage container), but in the end, a neat display is better than a cluttered, messy one.

Yes, this is the only way to avoid looking like the 40-year Old Virgin, lol. :)

I might also suggest, if you're more of a collector type than someone who just wants a massive amount of bricks, periodically "refocus" your collection by figuring out what you really love, what you want to keep and what you could do without. Sell or trade off the latter to get sets you do want.

Edited by DPrime

Yes, this is the only way to avoid looking like the 40-year Old Virgin, lol. :)

I might also suggest, if you're more of a collector type than someone who just wants a massive amount of bricks, periodically "refocus" your collection by figuring out what you really love, what you want to keep and what you could do without. Sell or trade off the latter to get sets you do want.

I well never sell them. I am a collector "type". I like to display all my legos. My parents said they would get me some book shelves when I run out of space. I'm pretty sure thats going to happen after my birthday. Asking for a shitload of legos. I do have some space at the very top but I like to have my legos accessible

what i do is since i have a very limited shelving space, I put up the sets I like most and the ones I don't have room for I take apart and put into ziplock bags and put those into containers. But if you want to display them all, you could maybe go to lowes or home depot and build some shelves.

This is a pretty general question for the Star Wars forum, don't you think?

A couple years ago I moved from my tiny old apartment to a house I share with my fiancee. I still don't really have enough space, but it ameliorated the problem considerably.

Thankfully I have a girlfriend that is into lego as well =D So when we move out and get our own place, we have decided we are having a lego room, with probably lego dotted around the house :P

For the time being, we are putting up extra shelves in our room while keeping out the sets that we really like, and boxing up the ones that we do like, but arent too fussed about putting away for the time being.

Oh... I also have a bucket load of sets at my mums in my old room... and in her loft too...

And i got her into it and her kitchen window sill is covered with CMF minifigs :grin:

Do this:

and you will habe space for new Lego.....

This video made me feel very sick. Seriously, I cannot go to sleep now.

Well my bookcases have been invaded by Lego sets and dioramas since collecting LOTR and Hobbit, just on the very top and atop books. I also used all my desk space for my obsolete desktop lol.

Now I'm getting more serious with my Star Wars collecting and want to properly display all my starfighters so I bought a leaning bookcase. I also thought about floating shelves. The shelves on the bookcase are 15'' deep so should fit all of them well enough.

Stop building and leave em in the box until you find more space. We get a lot of dust here in OZ so I don't have any LEGO outside of a display cabinet or case.

I well never sell them. I am a collector "type". I like to display all my legos. My parents said they would get me some book shelves when I run out of space. I'm pretty sure thats going to happen after my birthday. Asking for a shitload of legos. I do have some space at the very top but I like to have my legos accessible

Never say never. :)

Never say never. :)

This is one thing you should always say never to :) You'll always regret selling beloved Lego sets, because you'll want to revisit them later in life.

Space is infinite. It's not possible to run out.

That said, what are you displaying, and why? Do you have every last set on display from Death Star to poly bags? Or just the UCS sets? Do you play with them so often you can't possibly put anything away, or are they collecting more dust than holocrons? The answers to these will help figure out what your course of action should be.

Stop building and leave em in the box until you find more space. We get a lot of dust here in OZ so I don't have any LEGO outside of a display cabinet or case.

I do the same, I only build the once that I can't resit until I have more space. I also sold some double sets and minifig, that got me a nice 400€, I only paid 280€ for it myself, so 120€ profit.

I play a sort of 'survival of the fittest' regime.

I buy everything in the (many) themes I love - display them all and then when the next wave comes out the sets that have grown on me the least are sold - and the process resumes.

I like to think it results in the best of both worlds - I always have space and what's on display is the absolute best lego has produced (so right now, loads of giant UCS stuff)

I play a sort of 'survival of the fittest' regime.

I buy everything in the (many) themes I love - display them all and then when the next wave comes out the sets that have grown on me the least are sold - and the process resumes.

I like to think it results in the best of both worlds - I always have space and what's on display is the absolute best lego has produced (so right now, loads of giant UCS stuff)

I buy every star wars sets released that I can. I like every set.

And enjoy every moment of it, because once your girlfriend moves in with you, the LEGO has to be out of sight again.

Ooooor you can get a girlfriend who is super awesome and okay with you displaying (a select few) LEGO sets in the common areas. You might even get REALLY lucky and get a girlfriend who will get you some of those sets for birthdays and other holidays. :tongue:

I'm also currently running into the problem of lack of space. Apartment living will do that to ya. Basically my collection is divided into two display areas: my studio and the living room. Studio is mainly home to all my smaller to medium sized sets that take up random bookshelves, shelves, and desk space. Try to make little dioramas where I can. Living room is where the bigger and "classier" sets are. There they act as decoration and as conversation pieces when we have company over (sets like the Rebel Blockade Runner, the Simpson's House, and Bag End).

Studio is starting to get cramped though (I do need to have some space left to actually do my job and draw). So my current solution is to start rotating sets out. Every few months I'll pick a few sets to take apart and rebuild sets to take their place on the shelf. There's a select few favorite sets that I won't ever take down. One nice thing about this approach is it allows me to revisit and rebuild old sets once in a while. Doing this has also been slowly getting me into MOCing, since I now have boxes of parts just sitting there.

Good luck in figuring out your storage/display dilemma.

Then you either need to buy a bigger house, or not display all of them, because that's a heck of a lot of sets.

I ended up buying a bigger house. Not JUST for LEGO but my wife and I more than doubled our living space, and the house has a big empty basement that I'm working on finishing for my LEGO addiction.

Shred! I switched from Collector to Builder several years ago. I took about 250 Star Wars sets and shredded them in about 24 hours. Notably they take up much less space now and I can build many more things. It means less time spent dusting. ;)

Move out to your own house and decide what you put where :-)

I solved that one by buying a bigger house :-)

My GF is okay with it, she though it was a little strange in the beginning, but now she even go's 2 the lego store with me and watch all kind of star wars stuff with me! :grin:

How is that for awesome!!!! :wub: