Sign in to follow this  
legolijntje

LEGO shouldn't make new parts for a year?

65 members have voted

1. 1. Should LEGO stop making new parts for 1 year (new brick/color combinations are "allowed")?

• Yes
    • No

Hi all,

I was just thinking about the following: LEGO is always making new parts. New parts aren't bad at all (there are some exceptions of course).

But, LEGO is also about creativity, and it's not very creative to just make a new part instead of finding a good solution with what's already available.

LEGO is making quite a lot of new parts lately.

There are 2 categories of new parts: there are parts that are just unusable in any other creation except for what it's made for. And there are parts that are very general and are very useful in a lot of creations. Although the new parts are mostly from category 2 lately, it still are a lot of new parts.

I don't want to say that new parts a bad, but what if we would take a break? What if we would focus for a moment on what we have already?

There were more of these discussions in the past. But, I was thinking: what if LEGO wouldn't make any new molds (new brick/color combinations are not taken into account) for 1 year? What do you think about that?

No more elements for 1 year + No more absouloutely great MOC's from other Eurobrickers :innocent:

I have to vote 'No' beacuse i am an absoloute part freak :laugh:

(The main reason why i am purchasing multiple Disney Princess sets :tongue: )

And B-Lister:

Remember this set has Flounder:

http://brickset.com/sets/41050-1/Ariel-s-Amazing-Treasures

(Not reusable at all really)

Edited by Toby Adams

Does this include minifigure parts? 'Cause I vote no just because of that. I probably wouldn't care if there were no new non-minifigure parts because there are still so many options. Though I'd probably still vote no because some sets just demand it like if there was a new minifigure scale Millennium Falcon I'd want a proper cockpit piece.

Some parts might be for only one set/use, but I think its because of the color or it's the only piece. Like the Lego Friends slide. Not much, if anything, can be used with it. Or Flounder, can't do anything till they make the rest of the sea life for him. But some of the pieces could be a different color and still work that only set/theme their in.

No more elements for 1 year + No more absouloutely great MOC's from other Eurobrickers :innocent:

I have to vote 'No' beacuse i am an absoloute part freak :laugh:

(The main reason why i am purchasing multiple Disney Princess sets :tongue: )

And B-Lister:

Remember this set has Flounder:

http://brickset.com/sets/41050-1/Ariel-s-Amazing-Treasures

(Not reusable at all really)

So I could never find a situation or MOC where Flounder is usable? Like, maybe a Kingdom Hearts Scene, or hidden in an aquarium setting, or a Pirate Set? Keep in mind he doesn't have to be cast in yellow. In Orange he might even make a passable Nemo.

So I could never find a situation or MOC where Flounder is usable? Like, maybe a Kingdom Hearts Scene, or hidden in an aquarium setting, or a Pirate Set? Keep in mind he doesn't have to be cast in yellow. In Orange he might even make a passable Nemo.

True Dat

Just pointing out that I have never seen an element that has only one use. Granted, some have LIMITED use, but none are limited to a single purpose.

There was a thread about "one-trick ponies" a while back. Not sure that there is such a thing to the creative builder. As for a hiatus on new parts, please feel free to not buy any of your own accord. I'd rather have the option of buying a set with new parts, especially in the minifig realm.

Hoi hoi

I voted no.

There are stil some basic briks missing like a axel 11,13,and 15.

I never incounterd a peice from a creator or technic set whit only one use until nouw.

Some parts might be for only one set/use, but I think its because of the color or it's the only piece. Like the Lego Friends slide. Not much, if anything, can be used with it. Or Flounder, can't do anything till they make the rest of the sea life for him. But some of the pieces could be a different color and still work that only set/theme their in.

That slide has shown up all over the place. Lone Ranger sets, TMNT sets, etc.

Just pointing out that I have never seen an element that has only one use. Granted, some have LIMITED use, but none are limited to a single purpose.

Well, there's the Piece of Resistance from the Movie line, though I'm curious if that will turn up elsewhere in future sets.

Well, there's the Piece of Resistance from the Movie line, though I'm curious if that will turn up elsewhere in future sets.

i could see a few possibilities for that piece in a different color maybe. i'm thinking wall detailing, but i'm sure some "master builders" will work this into mocs.

No. Aside from anything else, I'd have less to write about on my blog ;)

TLG don't take the creation of a new mould lightly, there need to be sound reasons why an allocation is granted. And I don't understand what a year's abstinence would achieve?

These kinds of threads are always interesting but I find the poll unnecessary.

I read somewhere that Lego has actually trimmed down their total parts catalogue significantly from the 90's. I'd rather see Lego produce current parts in more colors than make new molds for completely new parts. I'm one of those people who like to see creative use of existing parts to achieve an effect rather than creating a new part.

As for minifig accessories there really can't be enough :classic:

For the most part, I support new parts development.

On the negative side is the chance that whenever new parts are introduced there is a potential for the retirement of others. This is what I dislike. Too many parts have been put to pasture over the last few years. Of particular note are numerous doors and window pieces. (If you've been involved at all in discussions around bricklinking retired sets like cafe corner, market street and green grocer, you'll know what I'm on about).

Also when new parts come out, they can be slow to introduce them widely in a variety of (useful) colors.

Wait which TMNT set is it in?

It is in the new upcoming Lair set. Has not been released yet.

I read somewhere that Lego has actually trimmed down their total parts catalogue significantly from the 90's.

I know this fact was thrown around quite a bit a few years ago, but I wonder if it is still the case. We've seen a lot of new parts that span many lines, and also quite a few parts that were clearly designed for one specific thing, although some of those make cameos later in other lines (examples are some of the Cars pieces). With all of the new elements we've seen over the past few years, I think LEGO is no longer as averse to creating new elements as they were after their near disasterous years.

The Lego Friends slide has already been used in multiple sets.

It was in the Silver Mine Shootout as well as the Dolphin Cruiser and Heartlake Pool (And it appears to be used in one of the Jungle sets as well)

I'm not sure why they used a different slide in the Princess Play Castle.

Absolutely not.

Lego releases new parts each year, and they do range from incredibly useful building elements to less useful specialized parts. However, all of these parts are useful in their own right and Lego would be foolish to limit themselves to existing parts, especially when a new part might actually be MORE versatile than an older variety. On a more business-related note, new parts often serve as a "hook" that get kids to buy sets. For instance, many AFOLs may consider recolored Olive Green or Flame Yellowish Orange basic bricks to be the most valuable parts in Chima sets, but I can guarantee that the animal-based minifigs and unique weapons play a big role in sales. The sets aren't worse for including these specialized elements, but a kid with a smaller collection isn't necessarily going to analyze how many recolored parts are in a set to decide what to buy. They'd sooner go to the next aisle where the Mega Bloks sets promise brand new parts and figures.

In a personal believe, I don't think new parts are necessary every year, but this is mainly I am discovering (for me) new pieces almost every day.

(This problem might solve itself when I will buy more new sets. :sceptic: )

This doesn't mean I am against new parts every year though.

Edited by UrbanErwin

Well I didn't know they made the slide in a different color, because I didn't really care for the Lone Ranger sets.