Hello all.

After a few weeks of lurking I have decided to sign up and begin posting. I have been missing a place to discuss Technic online since LUGNET/technic was deserted.

Who am I?

My name is Owen, I'm in my early 30s. I currently live in Geraldton, Western Australia, but my home is in Canberra, Australia.

I have never really had any dark ages, only periods of time when other things were more important. My collection grew rapidly when I acquired a disposable income, but I have been quite restrained with my purchasing. I have a modest collection of about 20k parts, almost exclusively Technic.

What do I build?

Physical:

• I have been interested in Technic, to the exclusion of almost all other LEGO, since I was about 10 years old. I always prefer a model that does something over a model that just looks pretty, and I always prefer a mechanical solution to any particular problem over an electronic one, so I haven't played much with Mindstorms.
  • Currently my focus is on GBC modules. I have had small GBC displays at
    , and
  • I am relatively new to participating in conventions, and am finding that building for display is a rather different beast than building for yourself.

Virtual:

• I have been using the LDraw system of tools for a very long time. I won the last Scene of the Month contest that was held on ldraw.org before they stopped happening. My picture graced the homepage for over two years.
  • I contributed some of the LDraw files for some of the early models for Blakbird's Technicopedia.
  • I have a lot of experience with LD4DStudio. My
    narrowly missed out on a major prize in the competition it was created for.
  • I am at least partly responsible for the creation of the Technic Action Figure LDraw parts. Unfortunately, I still haven't made much progress on the project that I wanted to use them in. It's gonna be awesome though! (at least, in my head it is).
  • I generally use SR3DBuilder these days, but I notice that many of you use LDD. I tried it out a few years ago, and decided it wasn't very good for Technic models. It seems to have improved somewhat in that regard, so I might have to give it another shot.

Studless or Studded?

This is a bit of a tricky one. The majority of the parts I have are studless, but most of them are on display (I tend to build my sets and keep them on display until I need the parts). On the other hand, I find studded building much easier to get my head around. In early 2013 I decided that I needed to get better at building studless, so I rearranged my work area with a studless focus. I'm sorry to say that it hasn't helped much, because it seems I'm always pulling out my bricks and plates. Oh well, I guess I'd better practice a bit more then!

I will finish with the usual plea from a newcomer to forgive any accidental transgressions of forum norms, and I look forward to future Technic discussions.

Owen.

Edited by Captainowie

Welcome! :classic:

That is a very nice introduction.

Your page with that mechanical puzzle/sorting thing was interesting to read and see (with those animations).

I also like SR3D Builder, well, I could say I'm a huge fan of SR3D Builder :laugh:

Welcome at EB and here in the Technic forum. Maybe you can also take a look at the LDD/LDraw forum here at EB, since your interests are there as well. :wink:

I wish you a great time here.

Hi Owen, and welcome!

Now could you please move to Qld so we can start a 30 something Technic club. :tongue: Just kidding.

I have an interest in GBC modules as well, just don't know where to start. :sweet:

Welcome to Eurobricks! :D BTW, you should go studded all the way- your GBC is among the best I have ever seen.

Your Decimator is so cool! :wub:

TLH

Edited by TwentyLeggedHen

Welcome Owen,

You're a great builder, i'm surprised you waited so long to join us. Your ball contraption is very clever and I look forward to your contributions.

H

Hi Owen! i am Egor!

Welcome!

Greetings. Hope we can entice you into building some trial trucks and whatnot.

v/r

Andy

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.

Welcome Owen,

You're a great builder, i'm surprised you waited so long to join us. Your ball contraption is very clever and I look forward to your contributions.

H

Thanks, but I want to moderate your expectations somewhat. What you've seen has been cherrypicked from the last 5+ years of my work.

That said, I'm particularly proud of the Spider module I took to Canberra - I haven't seen anything remotely like it from anyone else.

Greetings. Hope we can entice you into building some trial trucks and whatnot.

v/r

Andy

Perhaps. But it'll have to wait until I finish the other things on my list.

It's a long list. :-)

Always good to see another Aussie around on the forum.

Welcome Owen :-D

Welcome!

I am also transitioning from studded to studdless and some things work out better, others not so much :))

Hi Owen,

Welcome to Eurobricks!

Great that you've upgraded from lurker to member :wink:

I will move this topic to the Introduction forum now.

No problem. It's a common mistake, since most members only visit a specific forum.