Sign in to follow this  
Longhorn

[HELP] Keeping Axles Tight

I have a problem with keeping axles from sliding out from UV joints or axle connectors. The wheels and axles fall off vehicles after they are driven just a short time. I know it wouldn't be conventional, but can a set screw be used? Or maybe glue?

Thanks for any help.

New connectors would work and rubber bands on the UV joints. I had that problem too, they are cracked. You might not be able to see it, but its there. Over time that invisible crack gets worse.

No, a 5.5 axle with stop would be too long unless I cut it off which isn't LEGO convention I don't think.

New connectors would work and rubber bands on the UV joints. I had that problem too, they are cracked. You might not be able to see it, but its there. Over time that invisible crack gets worse.

Hi I put small O rings on all my UV Joints they hold better and do not split, they can be had in boxes of assorted sizes in our UK £ Shops.

Hard to explain, but is the a 1l space between 2 holes the axle goes through before the wheel? You could put 2 half bushings in the space and it will help hold the axle in place.

gmshades-

No - no space for half bushes. Think I will use 5.5L axles with stop and cut them off. Am leary of using MEK to weld the ABS as might get a bit of MEK where it's not wanted! Not enough space for set screws either. So cutting the 5.5L axles to length seems like the best resolution.

Thanks for all the comments.

A non permanent option would be to tightly wrap thread like you would use for sewing around it very tightly a few dozen times.

hi,

i have solved that problem cutting axle form a longer one. I used a 4 l to make a 3.1 l...

The end justifies the means

hi,

i have solved that problem cutting axle form a longer one. I used a 4 l to make a 3.1 l...

The end justifies the means

To each his own, of course, but many people would consider this cheating. Its LEGO, you can always find solution, that's the beauty of it.

some people use modified battery pack, some people print parts with 3d printers.. some people (and I) use non lego tyres...

for me the only rule is havin fun !