SMC

New York Toy Shops and Tax

Hi all I am going to New York next month and was wondering if someone could tell me how sales tax works out there and tell me how much would the Simpsons house would be after tax. Also I know about time square toys r us but can you tell me about other good shops for lego and if the lego shop have any thing I should look out for that we don't get in the UK. Any tips would be great.

Thanks

Edited by SMC

Sales tax is a percentage of the price tag. Its different per state and even between neighboring towns in some areas. And if youre going for the Simpsons house, avoid big toy stores like TRU as they probably jacked up the price. I believe there is a Lego store in Rockefeller Center (Where the huge annual Christmas tree is, if you know about that). Dont quote me on that though, its been a while since Ive been to that part of the city. If they are there, and they dont have what youre looking for, then TRU is your next best bet.

I know nothing on USA exclusives. Sorry.

The Rockefeller Center LEGO store also sells the sets a bit above US RRP (to cover the insane rent, from what I've heard). Stuff might still balance out to being cheaper than the UK because of LEGO's pricing. I'm not trying to get into that can of worms in this topic, it's just a fact to think about.

Those two, LEGO store and TRU are about it as far as buying LEGO in Manhattan goes. There's also a LEGO store in the Queens Center Mall, accessible on the subway, if you want to make the trip. It sells sets for RRP.

In the US, is there not a tax exemption for things bought online? (I can be totally wrong)

If it is the case it could be worth having the item delivered to your hotel?

In the US, is there not a tax exemption for things bought online? (I can be totally wrong)

No all online purchases are taxable.

As to what is available in the US only, it seems that Architecture Studio and the Master Builder Academy sets are the main ones due to the English only books. Not sure how much of the Architecture line is sold where, but our TRU does not seem to stock it now. The LEGO Stores should have the best selection, but there are some items that tend to appear more often in TRU...Duplo buckets are one example.

If you order from Lego.com in the US, your foreign credit card could allow for shipping only to your billing address. And you may not receive the shipment before you leave the hotel. So it is best to pick up the sets at stores rather than ordering them. It might be worth looking at BL and paying an EB friend in NYC to order what you want from BL a month before you go so that the deliveries occur within your time frame. But do check excess bag fees home because at 100 to 300usd per bag now, buying something large or heavy abroad may not make sense unless you can't find it at home. Good luck and please post your buying report here so we can see how it turns out for you.

As I understand it, all the following is true, but I may be wrong, so I'd like confirmation from someone more informed than myself...

Technically, applicable sales tax is supposed to be paid on all sales, including products purchased online or via mail order. However, sellers aren't required to collect sales tax themselves if they sell to someone in a different state in which the seller doesn't operate - for example, a company based in California that has its own retail stores in California, Nevada, Oregon and Washington has to charge sales tax to people in those four states, whether they buy items at their local stores or do it online, and the tax charged will be the applicable sales tax for the state the purchaser is in (Nevada, Oregon, etc.), even if the purchase is made online and the item comes from the company's "home" in California - a Nevada resident would get charged the tax rate for Nevada, for example, not California. However, someone in a state where the company doesn't have a presence - Florida, for example - will not be charged.

The part that a lot of people don't know about is that even if the company itself isn't required to collect the sales tax, the tax is still technically owed, and according to the law it then becomes the purchaser's responsibility to figure out the tax themselves, and pay it directly to the state; there are even forms available for this, I believe. However, virtually nobody does this, and not many people are even aware of it, and the government doesn't bother trying to collect all these unpaid sales taxes. For all practical intents and purposes, if you're in the US and you order something online from a company based in a different state that doesn't have some sort of presence in the state you're in, you don't have to pay the sales tax.

That said, none of that will really apply to the original poster, since he/she is going to New York, and LEGO has retail stores in New York (though if SMC wants to order stuff from Amazon and have it shipped to the hotel, that should be fine, as long as they can ensure delivery before the hotel stay ends). LEGO will therefore charge sales tax on any purchase made in New York, whether it's at a physical store or online.

However, if the Rockefeller Center LEGO Store does indeed charge above MSRP, as Clone O'Patra says, it could be worth it to order sets online from one's hotel room in New York - the sales tax would still be applied, but the price(s) on the actual set(s) purchased might be lower, and if the order is large enough the shipping would be free (though perhaps one might have to pay the hotel to have packages delivered there, for all I know). Of course you'd want to make sure it could be delivered before your stay is over! And then there's the issue of paying duty or whatever once one gets back to the UK...

Hi thanks all I think I will steer clear of getting something sent to the hotel as it might be a lot of hassle with wondering if it will get there in time or not and even if it does it might not make it to me who knows.

The Rockefeller Center LEGO store also sells the sets a bit above US RRP

I'm very sad to hear the Lego store in Rockefeller Center might charge above RRP, can anyone confirm this

Sales tax in NYC is 8.875%. That would make the $200 Simpson house come out to roughly $217.75 after taxes.

It would make it about £135 which is good but would it be to big to carry on the plane for way back?

As to what is available in the US only, it seems that Architecture Studio and the Master Builder Academy sets are the main ones due to the English only books.

I have thought about getting a Master Builder set as you cant get them in the UK

And then there's the issue of paying duty or whatever once one gets back to the UK...

You can bring in goods worth up to £390 without having to pay tax and/or duty in the UK so I should be ok

I might just have to see what I find we I get out there I will be going to the Time Square ToysRUs and Rockefeller Center Lego Store, I might just come back with a LEGO Movie Super Secret Police Enforcer 30282 as you cant get it in the uk

I can confirm that the Rockefeller store does charge above RRP, at least on the larger sets. I believe that PAB and some of the small sets may be at RRP (or maybe I just do not notice).

An alternative with a good LEGO selection (including some of the older themes/sets that may be discontinued sooner elsewhere) is the FAO Schwarz toy store a few blocks away, and I do not think they mark up. I have not been to TRU in Times Square, and cannot address their mark-up, other than to note that TRU's typical U.S. mark-up can be 20% higher than LEGO RRP.

Edited by MaineBrickFan

An alternative with a good LEGO selection (including some of the older themes/sets that may be discontinued sooner elsewhere) is the FAO Schwarz toy store a few blocks away

Thanks that one looks good will give that one a try

The 3 toy stores on my list will be fun to go to anyway even if I don't find anything

Iv been to the toys r us before but FAO Schwarz looks great didn't know about that one thanks again MaineBrickFan

if you go to the Lego store in Rockefellar, ask someone at the counter about what if any left over exclusive polybags they may have. NYC gets a lot of exclusives. Also, I'm a new yorker and can confirm all that has been said, about tax and markup etc.

One tip for buying a lot of LEGO on a trip and bringing it back. Bring a big duffle (soft bag) and pour all the LEGO out of the boxes and into the bag. Recycle the boxes.

That's assuming you're not wanting to keep everything MSIB. :classic:

One tip for buying a lot of LEGO on a trip and bringing it back. Bring a big duffle (soft bag) and pour all the LEGO out of the boxes and into the bag. Recycle the boxes.

That's assuming you're not wanting to keep everything MSIB. :classic:

That is exactly how I got Orthanc back home from Colorado. I broke down the box, folded it, and put in in the suitcase, and then carefully placed my camera equipment and all the bags in my carry on backpack.

I can confirm that the Rockefeller store does charge above RRP, at least on the larger sets. I believe that PAB and some of the small sets may be at RRP (or maybe I just do not notice).

An alternative with a good LEGO selection (including some of the older themes/sets that may be discontinued sooner elsewhere) is the FAO Schwarz toy store a few blocks away, and I do not think they mark up. I have not been to TRU in Times Square, and cannot address their mark-up, other than to note that TRU's typical U.S. mark-up can be 20% higher than LEGO RRP.

I would like to visit NYC again some day and would check out the large PAB wall at Rockefeller Center. Probably my bag would be full of PAB cups. For visitors from outside the US, there is also the option of mailing your purchases home. The favorable exchange rate would likely still make this option worth it. Also remember that airlines tend to charge a lot for extra luggage these days. If you are buying large sets, there are definitely some choices that need to be made regarding getting the set home.

The FAO Schwarz flagship store on Fifth Ave. at 58th St. is a must see store... Although it is up-market, I think that the LEGO prices may be in line with MSRP prices. The store itself is an amazing place to visit... with all sorts of wonderful displays.

The 150 year old FAO Schwarz name has sold LEGO in the USA since day one (Christmas 1961) of LEGO sales here. Back then Samsonite had the LEGO license, and there were many wonderful FAO Schwarz exclusive sets during the 1961-72 Samsonite era....

As to what is available in the US only, it seems that Architecture Studio and the Master Builder Academy sets are the main ones due to the English only books. Not sure how much of the Architecture line is sold where, but our TRU does not seem to stock it now. The LEGO Stores should have the best selection, but there are some items that tend to appear more often in TRU...Duplo buckets are one example.

If you order from Lego.com in the US, your foreign credit card could allow for shipping only to your billing address. And you may not receive the shipment before you leave the hotel. So it is best to pick up the sets at stores rather than ordering them. It might be worth looking at BL and paying an EB friend in NYC to order what you want from BL a month before you go so that the deliveries occur within your time frame. But do check excess bag fees home because at 100 to 300usd per bag now, buying something large or heavy abroad may not make sense unless you can't find it at home. Good luck and please post your buying report here so we can see how it turns out for you.

I was at a Barnes & Noble yesterday (in Round Rock, TX) that had an extensive line of architecture Studio Lego sets. They were shelved with the board games.

If you are a tourist on a UK passport and you are planning to take it out of the country, you are exempt from sales tax. Depending on state and stores there are different ways that it is accomplished. It works the other way as well .. On a US passport in EU I'm exempt frompayong VAT though there the refund of VAT on items that I take out of the country is refunded at the exchange centers ay the last EU airport I'm in (if I have a connecting flight).

Hi, I'm interested too, because I will be in NY at the and of August (And Everithing After).

So any hints where buy LEGO (and polybags) are welcomed!

Ciao

Somewhat related .... For anyone in the NY area what are my chances of finding the Hobbit sets (namely Mirkwood Army and Spiders) at the Rockefeller store in the coming weeks ?? Iodised these here in Australia at retail - but hoping I can find them in the US.

Thanks.