-DoNe-

[WIP] ShipOfTheLine "HMS Vanguard"

Wow, great progress and change!

First off, concerning your removal of the (lower) prefabs, you have chosen... wisely. I agree that the ship looks much better like this, and in combination with the renewed color scheme it makes for more realism. On the other hand it's a bit of a pity, 'cause I really liked your use of brown...

Can't say much more, the lines are looking good, I'm looking forward to see more.

One last thing for now, maybe... You might want to prepare yourself for the urge to widen your ship, going for a completely custom hull... which might come, when you build the aft section, for she might become too 'thin'...

Anyway, great ship so far,

keep it up!

Regards

Wow, great progress and change!

First off, concerning your removal of the (lower) prefabs, you have chosen... wisely. I agree that the ship looks much better like this, and in combination with the renewed color scheme it makes for more realism. On the other hand it's a bit of a pity, 'cause I really liked your use of brown...

Can't say much more, the lines are looking good, I'm looking forward to see more.

One last thing for now, maybe... You might want to prepare yourself for the urge to widen your ship, going for a completely custom hull... which might come, when you build the aft section, for she might become too 'thin'...

Anyway, great ship so far,

keep it up!

Regards

I'm quite fond of the with so far. I will finish the middle section where the longboats will be situated and then decide if I have to widen it. Thanks!

Great decision on the color change -I love that color scheme! Great work thus far! thumbup.gif

Thank you! pirate_classic.gif

I'm a little late to this party but it is looking good so far! I especially like the tiled deck. Sebeus is probably correct in stating that it will look quite narrow on prefab hulls, but you have already taken measures to fit a lot of detail into a narrower hull. Good work so far, glad she will also have an interior :thumbup:

:jollyroger: Dread Pirate Wesley

I'm a little late to this party but it is looking good so far! I especially like the tiled deck. Sebeus is probably correct in stating that it will look quite narrow on prefab hulls, but you have already taken measures to fit a lot of detail into a narrower hull. Good work so far, glad she will also have an interior :thumbup:

:jollyroger: Dread Pirate Wesley

Yes, she looked a bit to narrow on those hull pieces indeed. I'am fairly happy with the looks of her without the hull pieces but the width still concerned, but as soon as my bl order arrives I'll do a moc-up of the stern to see her in full length, hopefully it looks good but if not I will have to widen her. pirate_sceptic.gif

:shark:

I was right

I like her new colorscheme, suiting for an English warship, the weather deck looks great.

I'm convinced that this ship will be a beauty when finished even if she does appears to be a bit too narrow eventually.

Personally I think, for a prefab hull, 4 midsections is a maximum, nevertheless, other ship builders find some of my ships too wide for their lenght

so I guess it's also partially a matter of preference pir_laugh2.gif .

Keep it up!

2 hours ago, -DoNe- said:

Why not give an update some 8 years later?

Yes, why not? This is quite a slow build! :pir-grin:

But good to know you're still going - here's an image from Flickr:

image.png

7 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

Yes, why not? This is quite a slow build! :pir-grin:

But good to know you're still going - here's an image from Flickr:

image.png

Yes, this is not to be titled a speed-built by any measure. Just finding my way back to Lego-building, so I figured I should start by finishing of a few unfinished projects that have been sitting in my parents garage for so many years now.

And how did you get the picture in, all I got was that the file was too big. :pir-murder:

1 hour ago, -DoNe- said:

And how did you get the picture in, all I got was that the file was too big. :pir-murder:

Took a screenshot of the image on Flickr and pasted it in.

Although, I probably have a significantly larger limit on the size of images I can post than the average Eurobricks member.

3 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

Took a screenshot of the image on Flickr and pasted it in.

Although, I probably have a significantly larger limit on the size of images I can post than the average Eurobricks member.

I tried that as well but didn’t do the trick, thank you for fixing it for me!

Major progress have been done today in the stern. Lower deck is close to complete and all structural parts of the rear-section is complete.

Next thing on the list is the gallery.

Ship of the line progress continuesShip of the line progress continuesShip of the line progress continues

1 hour ago, -DoNe- said:

Major progress have been done today in the stern. Lower deck is close to complete and all structural parts of the rear-section is complete.

Next thing on the list is the gallery.

Ship of the line progress continuesShip of the line progress continuesShip of the line progress continues

I think you should consider making the masts taller, from these pictures it looks like they'll be fairly short compared to the length and overall size of the ship. If you're going for a more accurate look the mainmast on a ship of this type in the 18th century was typically close to the length of the ship itself (not including the bowsprit), which should give you a rough idea of how tall to make it.

36 minutes ago, Achilles099 said:

I think you should consider making the masts taller, from these pictures it looks like they'll be fairly short compared to the length and overall size of the ship. If you're going for a more accurate look the mainmast on a ship of this type in the 18th century was typically close to the length of the ship itself (not including the bowsprit), which should give you a rough idea of how tall to make it.

Thanks for the input, they are only a moc-up for placement so far. Having a bit of trouble deciding how far back the mainmast should be in regards to the foremast (I hope that’s the right term).

Good to known about the measurement for height, thanks a bunch!

2 hours ago, -DoNe- said:

Thanks for the input, they are only a moc-up for placement so far. Having a bit of trouble deciding how far back the mainmast should be in regards to the foremast (I hope that’s the right term).

Good to known about the measurement for height, thanks a bunch!

No problem! Here are some of the sources I've found helpful in my own building if you're interested:

Mondfeld, Wolfram zu. Historic Ship Models. New York: Sterling Publishing Company Incorporated, 1977.

Ball, Nick, and Simon Stephens. Navy Board Ship Models. Barnsley: Seaforth Publishing, 2018.

Petersson, Lennarth. Rigging Period Ship Models: A Step-by-Step Guide to the Intricacies of Square-Rig. London: Chatham Publishing, 2000.

Lavery, Brian. The Arming and Fitting of English Ships of War: 1600-1815, n.d.

Anderson, R.C. The Rigging of Ships in the Days of the Spritsail Topmast, 1600-1720. New York: Dover Publishing Inc., 1994.

Lavery, Brian. The Ship of the Line: A History in Ship Models. Barnsley: Seaforth Publishing, 2014.

As someone else in this thread also suggested, the Anatomy of the Ship series is another great resource. In particular the books of that series about HMS Diana, HMS Bellona, and HMS Victory would probably be useful to you. 

Several of these books have lots of diagrams and/or pictures of models that should help you to properly locate your masts. Good luck!

The gallery is starting to take shape. I’ve also changed the deck form dark tan to dark brown in the bow.

Lego ship of the lineLego ship of the lineLego ship of the line

12 hours ago, -DoNe- said:

Lego ship of the line

You are making fine progress, but may I ask what is that right on the picture, looks like built ship with interesting stern :pir-classic:

23 minutes ago, Marooned Marin said:

You are making fine progress, but may I ask what is that right on the picture, looks like built ship with interesting stern :pir-classic:

Thank you! Its another long-term survivor that was completed in 2014, here is a few pictures of it:

resized_1.jpg

resized_8.jpg

resized_1.jp.jpg

5 hours ago, -DoNe- said:

Its another long-term survivor that was completed in 2014,

Say, back in 2014 have you made extensive topic about it here in Pirate-forum? If yes, please give me a link to see more about it.

If not, you should make a new topic with more pictures and juicy details, it is certainly good looking ship and deserves appropriate attention! :pir-thumb:

On 3/22/2022 at 7:17 PM, Marooned Marin said:

Say, back in 2014 have you made extensive topic about it here in Pirate-forum? If yes, please give me a link to see more about it.

If not, you should make a new topic with more pictures and juicy details, it is certainly good looking ship and deserves appropriate attention! :pir-thumb:

On 3/22/2022 at 8:55 PM, Professor Thaum said:

seconded !

Just posted a new thread for it:

8 hours ago, evancelt said:

Gorgeous ship @-DoNe-!

Thank you!

Time for another update. The tumblehome is pretty much done on both sides now, details will be added but the basic structure is there. I’ve also realized that I’m roughly 200-300 dark brown tiles short to finish the top deck. :pir-murder:

The Stern is really starting to take shape and the windows on each side have been properly fitted. I’m really starting to like where this is going.

Lego ship of the lineLego ship of the lineLego ship of the line