LukefromNJ

Review: 60025 Grand Prix truck

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

I meant to write this review quite a while back, but a power surge fried my last computer and writing this review kind of slipped through the cracks. Anyway, here's my review of the 60025 set.

9942455003_1d570bed11_c.jpg

9942460893_cb4f2df92d_c.jpg

What you get when you open the bag:

9942376934_71a0ba6e94_c.jpg

The Dreaded Sticker Sheet with plenty of Octan logos (it curled like crazy even before I started peeling them, hence the presence of my fingers at the bottom):

9942349816_7200afa14e_c.jpg

Bag 1 contains parts for the car and toolchest, bag 2 contains parts for the truck cab, and bags 3 and 4 contain parts for the truck trailer.

The racecar is a nice little set, quite speedy-looking and liberally decorated with everybody's favorite fictitious fuel company. I kind of wished they made it so there weren't those black pieces sticking out from the side of the body between the front wheels (looking from the instructions,however, it seems unavoidable), but otherwise it's excellent.

9942384544_eec86f61a9_c.jpg

Also included in bag 1 is a toolchest and the 3 figures (racecar driver, mechanic, truck driver/second mechanic) decorated in team logo and colors:

9942470923_f3f50de213_c.jpg

The toolchest comes with numerous tools, many (I believe) for the first time ever. I see this having a lot of potential use for a diorama or MOC of a garage or airport hangar or locomotive shed. I wasn't able to fit them all into the toolchest at once; did anyone else have this problem or was it just me?:

9942380074_a2d3d50987_c.jpg

Bag 2 has parts for the truck cab. It's for the most part a pretty conventional flat-fronted truck cab build, but what I find interesting and welcome is that it uses bricks to duplicate the red and white stripe on the sticker on the roof of the cab. The only problem with that is that the stripe is continued to the bottom, meaning that the license plate must either be:

a) Not mounted on the bottom of the front of the cab

b) Centered and mounted over 2 separate bricks, effectively "gluing" them together if you want to avoid the sticker tearing

c) Like below, placing the sticker to 1 side

Despite this, as I said above, I like that Lego is making this stripe with SNOT bricks rather than just stickers.

9942475503_b40f8c24a1_c.jpg

Bags 3 and 4 contain parts for the truck trailer, which carries both the car and the toolchest:

9942358886_c6ac9bd13b_c.jpg

The trailer has 2 side openings, as well as the back opening (which doubles as a ramp for the car):

9942361226_6313383462_c.jpg

9942480663_717a5f58f8_c.jpg

9942452513_d1c767ce79_c.jpg

9942365326_e3321de0a1_c.jpg

The car being transported in the trailer:

9942360304_3fd8a2058e_c.jpg

My overall thoughts:

I love this set, everything goes together quite nicely. I I seemed a bit overly critical in the review, to me those are all minor nitpicks and do not significantly take away from a great set. 9.5/10

That said, one car does not a Grand Prix make; I'd love to see Lego make more racecar sets in different colors and with different sponsors (either real-life or in-universe). They need not be more sets like this, with a car and transporter truck; in fact, one set I'd love to see is an announcer's booth and/or pitstop with 3 or 4 different racecars.

Edited by Rick

I just picked this up two days ago! I looked to see if there was a review but there wasn't one. I thought about doing one, but you beat me to it!

In my opinion, over all the set is kind of boring. A few of the reasons I picked it up, it has good parts, I LOVE the colours and THOSE TOOLS!!! :sweet: So I just waited until it was on clearence :grin: The trailer is a rather odd shape, the truck should have another set of wheels and the tyres on the race car should be more like slicks.

But at the end of the day, I still bought it :grin:

I really like this set and I do own one myself. I think that the racing car design is very neat - and the black bits should be there as they represent the undertray of a real F1 car:

ferrari_f1_race_car-1280x800.jpg

Nice review!

Cheers

Rog

I built this set about a week ago. I love the parts, but was disappointed in the final product. The ramp on the back is too steep, the car can't drive up it. Plus, if you have the driver in the car, the car can't fit through the back door. Granted, in real life they probably push these things onto the trucks rather than drive them, but I doubt many young kids know that so I'm surprised the car can't be driven into the trailer. Overall this set isn't bad, but I think the use of the train base resulted in too many compromises in the final build.

Nice review! Agreed with meyerc13 that it's unfortunate that the rear hatch/ramp was not really designed for the car to be "driven" in, but on the other hand, I own the Ferrari F1 transporter and the issue is more or less the same there too, with the added kerfuffle of the car having to have the wheels removed in order to fit properly inside. With this set, you can fit the entire car inside without removing anything but the driver, who I guess you could argue would not really want to be stuck in there while in transit anyways. ^_^

I'm hoping to pick this one up later on to compete against my Ferrari team.

Edited by gunm

... the black bits should be there as they represent the undertray of a real F1 car:

The black parts I was talking about was the studs sticking up between the red "5" on the front, and the green "Octan" logo on the side.

Thanks for the review. I love the F1 car and the cab, but the 8 wide trailer really put me off adding this to my collection! If it appears cheap in sales later this year I might be tempted though :)

Thanks for the review. I love the F1 car and the cab, but the 8 wide trailer really put me off adding this to my collection! If it appears cheap in sales later this year I might be tempted though :)

But i think they had to do that so it could hinge :wink:

I grabbed one from Target during the BOGO sale, ended up being around $18. I was looking for a cheap way to get a box car for my cargo train, and seeing that this comes with a train base already, this is what I came up with adding only the black wheel aseemblies.

P1070951_zps34330cb7.jpg

disappointed in the final product. The ramp on the back is too steep, the car can't drive up it. Plus, if you have the driver in the car, the car can't fit through the back door. Granted, in real life they probably push these things onto the trucks rather than drive them, but I doubt many young kids know that so I'm surprised the car can't be driven into the trailer.

Fitting the entire car inside (with or without driver) is a notable "play" feature for the kiddies, but not realistic in terms of real life F1. In reality the cars are dismantled to the point of being boxes before being loaded for transport. That means no wheels, no wings, no nose, etc.

I was disappointed with the set as a whole. I didn't like the proportions of the finished product. The trailer (6 wide then 8 wide, which ends up notably wider than taller) looks ackward and the cab seems too small. I also don't get the point of the wall on the side of the truck that swings open. If there was enough room inside to move figures around maybe that'd be a play feature, but there isn't.