Sign in to follow this  
qiadris

[SG] Sultan's Gate micro gate

13101835724_d9c709f47f.jpg

Sitting atop the Great Escarpment, at the northern edge of Kaliphlin and overlooking the main trade route between Mitgardia and Nocturnus, the city of Sultan's Gate has been recently revitalized by the ruling council of Kaliphlin. Building upon the ruins of the once proud city, it has been restored to impress travelers and intimidate armies advancing from the North, a much needed measure in these dark times. Should any enemy be foolish enough to march against Sultan's Gate, they will first have to face the narrow and winding path up the Escarpment, that only allows two abreast. If they are lucky enough to make it to the top, they will be flanked by the two main towers, that do not allow easy passage East or West, and from where defenders can rain death on them.

The bazaar, with it's distinguishable violet dome, and the tower of wizardry, the tallest building in Sultan's Gate, can be seen peeking out from behind the city walls, the rest of buildings too short to raise above the level of the imposing walls.

This build has certainly changed coats often during its story, as it was supposed to be a regular minifig scale of just the gate. But it soon became apparent I wouldn't have enough bricks for what I wanted, so I decided to try my hand at micro. The advantage of that, tho, is that I could include the path up the escarpment, so those not familiar with the community challenge learn more about the location. It also allowed me to include a small Orcan settlement, who have relatively recently been allowed to inhabit the area.

C&C will be greatly appreciated, as this is my first micro, but I've always been fascinated by the "format".

I would also like to claim the following UoP DoH credits (2 total):

[General Building] Microscale, [Geography] Mountains or cliffs

I like this a lot. The shape is very imposing, the colours are great, and the use of the black telescopes to suggest negative space is fantastic.

A few things to think about for next time- if the escarpment face is so dark, how is the ground on top of it such an abruptly different colour? Are you happy with the masonry profile bricks at this scale, and used in irregular way at this scale?

Very nice build, and a great first micro!

:classic:

One of the better micro builds we've seen in GoH, well done!

I also like the description of the build a lot, very similar to what I had in mind for my (WIP) minifig scale gate :wink: I've got no chance of matching your cliff however, mine will only in the best case show a small part of the top of the cliff.

Definitely UoP +1 for microscale and cliffs.

Very nice microscale, especially the path up the cliff. Good job with the wall too!

+1 DoH.

I like this a lot. The shape is very imposing, the colours are great, and the use of the black telescopes to suggest negative space is fantastic.

A few things to think about for next time- if the escarpment face is so dark, how is the ground on top of it such an abruptly different colour? Are you happy with the masonry profile bricks at this scale, and used in irregular way at this scale?

Very nice build, and a great first micro! :classic:

Thanks! Terrain changes are definitely what I'm the least happy with, not only at the top, but also with the greenery at the bottom. I do not really have a solution for the top, besides perhaps baby bows at the edge in brown/tan along with 1x1 round bricks, but meh, and I didn't really have that much space at the edge, because I wanted the towers to be almost at the edge.

I'm happy with the profile bricks, I think they work well with delivering the feeling of "built on top of the old" that we are looking for in Sultan's Gate.

Very beautiful micro build my friend! :) Cute!

Thanks!

One of the better micro builds we've seen in GoH, well done!

I also like the description of the build a lot, very similar to what I had in mind for my (WIP) minifig scale gate :wink: I've got no chance of matching your cliff however, mine will only in the best case show a small part of the top of the cliff.

Definitely UoP +1 for microscale and cliffs.

Thanks! Can't wait to see your gate, but it would be insane to expect a cliff of that height with the gates at the top at minifig scale, that would need a gargantuan build.

Very nice microscale, especially the path up the cliff. Good job with the wall too!

+1 DoH.

Thanks!

Great micro skills! Love all the color.

Thanks!

Nice, +1 UoP DoH for all claims. This could easily be a top contender for the main gate challenge.

Edited by Scaevola

Nice micro! A simple improvement to the cliff line where the tan plate meets the SNOT rocks would be to have the last row of studs where the tan plate is to be mixed up with the different shades of brown and tan plates.