Sign in to follow this  
Kintobor

Recommend a Movie

Alright, I know we have a "What's the Last Movie You Watched?" topic, but I feel it's a little narrowing in terms of recommending good movies. So basically this forum's for recommending movies to the members of the forum you think deserve their time. Let's leave it at movies just for now, just so we don't get overwhelmed with long running television shows. Also, I think it would be nice to include a brief description to why you recommend the movie. It can be a sentence long, to a multi paragraph piece. As well, no arguments as to whether a films good or not, if you disagree with someone else's suggestion, it generally comes down to personally preference. Feel free to follow up on what movies people recommended if you watched one!

My hope this thread will expose members to new films they may not have seen before, and in general help generate awareness for movies that should get more attention than they might not have. Have fun! :classic:

I'm really into animated movies so I guess I'll recommend some of my favorites:

-Wreck It Ralph: Probably my favorite animated movie outside of any of the pixar movies. It has a really touching story. Also has wonderful voice acting, animation, and is very funny. Anyone who enjoys video games will love this movie! Even if you don't it's still great. Highly recommend.

-Fantastic Mr. Fox: A great stop motion movie about a fox and his family being hunted by farmers. Sounds simple, but is a great story. I'll admit at first I disliked this movie but when I rewatched it and thought about it, I really enjoyed it. I can't exactly point out why, I just do. It can be quite random and spontaneous. Not your average run of the mill animated film. It's unique to say the least. I love the soundtrack as well. Plus I always appreciate stop motion and all the work that goes into it.

-How To Train Your Dragon: This movie has an absolutely FANTASTIC soundtrack. It's just beautiful. I could listen to it all day. The animation's great, the story is great, and the main dragon is just so cute and fierce it'll remind you of your cat back at home. Plus the sequel is coming out later this summer so what better time to watch it than now?

Silver Linings Playbook - I'd say this is my top favourite movie. Story was moving and the acting is spectacular.

The LEGO Movie - Obviously a "must see." ...though I still have yet to see it. :look:

I can't express just how much I loved Saving Mr.Banks. Yes Walter is in it but Walt Disney is not the main character of the film, P.L Travers (or Helen Golf) is. The film was touching, to say the least. I don't know anyone who's as crazy about this movie as I am.

Edited by Freddy Bricker

It's probably a bit of a no-brainer around here, but for those who haven't seen it, the Princess Bride. It ranks among the highest in my list of movies everyone should see in their life. Hilarious, heartwarming film.

Frances Ha! Easily viewable if you have Netflix, and my second favorite film of the year. Other 2013 standouts now available on DVD are Nebraska and Inside Llewyn Davis, all of which deserve your time. But if we're not concerned with how recent, here's a short but fairly diverse list to get you going (in order of release):

Dr. Strangelove

Catch-22

A Clockwork Orange

Taxi Driver

The Shining

Silence of the Lambs

Pulp Fiction

Pi

Zodiac

Dragon Tattoo Trilogy-Extended (Swedish)

Edited by montyofmusic

Spaceballs. So many hillarious scenes in it, I could probably qoute the whole movie at this point.

Wall-E. I think its a very touching movie with brilliant characters. Of the Pixar films I've seen, this is probably my favourite.

Wolf of Wall Street. That movie really inspired me to go into the stock market. I'm not sure if that's good though...

It's funny, has drama and a great story line, and Leonardo DiCaprio and Jonah Hill are both great. I still don't understand how Leonardo DiCaprio hasn't won an Oscar yet.

Other awesome movies are:

21 Jump Street

This is the End

Superbad

Wall-E. I think its a very touching movie with brilliant characters. Of the Pixar films I've seen, this is probably my favourite.

I love that movie. Everyone always hates on it, but I love it. It really made a statement about society and the way we're going. Then again, maybe I like it because I'm an environmental studies major..

There is a seemingly endless amount of movies that I could recommend, but one that hasn't been mentioned yet is Tangled. I honestly expected nothing good from this film before I watched this, and I only ever watched it because it was the only interesting thing on TV on Christmas Day in 2012. It turned out to be great though. Unlike most Disney films, the songs weren't overly cheesy and didn't seem very forced (I've thought some Disney films have had cheesy and forced songs that weren't really needed). The plot itself was good, and the characters are as well constructed as we would expect from a Disney film.

I wholeheartedly recommend The Lone Ranger... possibly my favorite film of all time. I went to the theater with high expectations for it and even those expectations were blown out of the water. Critics lashed at it for being overly long and boring, but it never felt too long for me, and the final action sequence... well, you'll just have to watch it to understand why it's so incredible.

I wholeheartedly recommend The Lone Ranger... possibly my favorite film of all time. I went to the theater with high expectations for it and even those expectations were blown out of the water. Critics lashed at it for being overly long and boring, but it never felt too long for me, and the final action sequence... well, you'll just have to watch it to understand why it's so incredible.

I definitely agree, I never saw it in cinema as, well pretty much everyone said it was terrible.. I hired the movie and loved it! Truly don't understand the hate...

In other movies....

The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn - Understandable for me.. I love Tintin and this movie is amazing, even if you don't like the plot the level of detail is INCREDIBLE!

I used to work at a Blockbuster years ago and got asked this question all the time. Two good ones off the top of my head are Poolhall Junkies and Brotherhood of the Wolf.

Both are very different. Poolhall Junkies has one of the best speeches by Christopher Walken...ever! BotW is actually a French film with subtitles...but don't let that scare you away if you don't speak French.

Watch them both, and then send me a pm to tell me what you thought!

The Secret of Kells

Like. Seriously. Go watch it. If you like art and wonderful frame-by-frame animation, then this is a movie for you. The only complaint I really have is that the ending is a little abrupt. But the characters are so fantastic and the music is so good, that I can forgive it. It's easily my favorite movie.

So yeah. Go watch some wonderfulness.

Mary and Max, it changed me a lot.

Edited by Stash2Sixx
No animated GIFs are to be used in your signatures!

If a typical movie buff like me starts to list down movies, the list will be infinite! :wink: Still, I'll name a couple of the very best movies in different genres, which deserve to be watched. Here goes:

Action:

1. The Hurt Locker (2009): This movie is based on the personal war-time experiences of journalist Mark Boal and is set in Iraq. Jeremy Renner has delivered a power-packed performance.

2. The Bourne Ultimatum (2007): In a race to solve the mystery of his past, Matt Damon is being hunted by members of the very organization he was hired into earlier.

3. Catch Me If You Can (2002): Directed by Steven Spielberg, this is a story about a gifted forger who attempts to stay one step ahead of the lawman determined to bring him to justice.

Animation:

1. Up (2009): A comedy adventure about a 78 year old balloon salesman Carl, who ties thousands of balloons to his home to fulfil his lifelong dream of flying away to the wilds of South America.

2. How to Train Your Dragon (2010 & 2014): The story of how humans and dragons can live amicably side by side and be friends for ever, portrayed by Hicuup and his pet dragon Toothless. (There are even dragon games available based on the characters of the movie)

3. Despicable Me (2010): A sweet and witty bit of animated fun with eye-popping 3D effects.

Romance:

1. When Harry Met Sally (1989): A romantic comedy which chronicles the 11-year old relationship between Harry and Sally.

2. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004): Kate Winslet has had her memories of her relationship with Jim Carry erased from her brain via an experimental procedure and Jim decided to go for the procedure himself.

3. Four Weddings and a Funeral (1994): The romance between a charming and bumbling Englishman and a beautiful American woman who seem to always run into each other at weddings forms the backdrop of this beautiful movie.