I got a hold of the latest Train Station set at Toys"R"Us! Keep in mind I'm a newbie to trains, so bear with me faulty train knowledge. Heck, I don't even own a Town/City train just yet. I plan on getting the passenger train set soon. :laugh:

Thanks for the review. Are those 12x4 windows on the toy shop?

Thanks for the review. Are those 12x4 windows on the toy shop?

Yes! Totally forgot to mention that in the review, and I was planning too. They're especially cool as they've only come in the Imperial Shuttle and Grand Emporium sets in that color- two very expensive D2C sets.

The station has decent playability, but at £49.99 it's a very expensive add-on to what are already expensive train sets. For 423 pieces, this should be £44.99 maximum.

I'm not surprised that the price has been hiked up though, as the suits at TLG like to play on scale almost as much as a parts count these days. The station's three 'arches' make the model appear larger than what it is, especially on the box artwork.

I wish I could say it's just sentimentality on my part. I remember when LEGO train stations were far more ambitious, and boasted grand designs with playability. For £50 though I would expect something a little more in-depth for children to enjoy, such as a luggage trolley and proper outdoor seating.

2150-1.jpg

Edited by nesquik

So I saw the Canadian price 229.99 freight and 169.99 pass. set :angry:

Is that markup, normal store price, retail?????

USA TRU was how much?

For some years now I'm not impressed with the typical train sets. LEGO used to release far better stations. The 4554 and 2150 were excellent, as pointed out by nesquik, but I also think the World City one (4513 if I'm correct) was still well-designed, although I prefer the looks of 4554.

The passenger train is the worst design since, well, perhaps ever. I was happy the red passenger train had a brick-built nose, but LEGO has to use a prefab nose. And of course it has to be a new mold, the RC train wasn't ugly enough. The platform gets smaller and smaller. :thumbdown:

On the other hand, I'm somewhat positive about the cargo train. I'm not specially into American trains, but it seems most of the regular available trains are based on European prototypes and it's nice to see a change. The blue colour is something rarely used, so that's great as well.

The crane is a nice addition and as mentioned before brings back memories to the 4555 crane. Here it could have been sold seperately, thus reducing the price of the cargo train set, especially since the set has enough play value with the truck and the forklift truck as add-ons. Cargo train sets have been released with less equipment. Three very nice freight cars, but I still don't like the fact that there are no longer seperate cars available.

Long blue train baseplates, I don't think they existed in blue until now. Nice! :thumbup:

Edited by Richie

USA TRU was how much?

Passenger Train 2014 is $150 at my TRUs- and that is the MSRP price as they haven't hiked 'em up just yet.

When LEGO 7897 Passenger Train came out, I loved it as a kid, however it had flaws. Now we have 60051, which is perfect. The front mold is extremely modern and fits perfectly! You have to realise this if for the demographic of children today. Also, LEGO wants variety, hence the streamlined passenger train, with the boxy diesel. It would be near impossible to build a streamlined brick built train that stays below the piece count of the cargo train and under price, as the cargo train is always the higher piece count of the two. If LEGO can do it with planes, helicopters and the trains they have done before, then I find no reason why they cannot do it now. Besides, it looks realistic, sleek and amazing!

That's fine c: It's just that to people like me, who really wanted to display a high-speed, sleek profile white train, I'm finally getting this year and I couldn't be happier. I'm sure there will be a passenger train in the next wave of train sets they release that may suit your liking.

There is always the Creator line of trains like Horizon Express if you want to brick build nose.

Interesting shop.lego.com don't have the new trains yet.

Interesting shop.lego.com don't have the new trains yet.

In the UK they're not officially released until June 1st, so it would appear the US either has permission to sell early, or retailers are pushing their luck...

You have to realise this if for the demographic of children today. (...) It would be near impossible to build a streamlined brick built train that stays below the piece count of the cargo train and under price, as the cargo train is always the higher piece count of the two. If LEGO can do it with planes, helicopters and the trains they have done before, then I find no reason why they cannot do it now.

The recent red passenger train is aimed at children. It has a brick-built nose, and proves IMHO that a modern, realistic-looking train can be built without using big pieces with very little usability. The same for the planes and helicopters. It doesn't even look like LEGO nowadays. Sure, it's what the majority of the customers want, but it's not what I would expect from a building toy.

There is always the Creator line of trains like Horizon Express if you want to brick build nose.

That's an exclusive set. I don't think it's fair to compare a ready to run train with an incomplete train without tracks or motor. The Horizon Express is aimed at AFOLs and, when ready to run, has a much higher price tag.

Just my 2 cents.

That's an exclusive set. I don't think it's fair to compare a ready to run train with an incomplete train without tracks or motor. The Horizon Express is aimed at AFOLs and, when ready to run, has a much higher price tag.

Just my 2 cents.

And you kind of need two of it to look any good.

The recent red 7938: Passenger Train is styled under a German train called Talent and is not considered to be high-speed passenger train, that is why it managed to be brick built and thus under the piece count. The 10233: Horizon Express is a high-speed passenger train based on the French TGV 001, however it is a more solid shaped design rather than a streamlined design and is also under the expert line, giving it far more pieces to create it's front façade. The 60051: High-Speed Passenger Train doesn't appear to have a distinct replica, however it is based on a very modern, high-speed train, trains which are more current and are being developed now.The only other train that LEGO has created that is similar to this new 60051 train is a train they release in 2006 called 7897, which had many flaws. When I bought it, I was extremely disappointed. So to have this new train is a relief, I love these styles of trains so I'm excited to finally get a high-speed train with a front moulded nose that fits perfectly flush. It feels like LEGO is repaying all those who bought 7897 and were disappointed. LEGO has also been doing large custom moulds for decades. But LEGO will release more trains and styles in the future, so no need to worry c:

Edited by Captain America

Kinda echoes my initial opinions from the photos. Also apparently not even that well designed which is a shame. Still, this means I should be able to pick up the red one cheap sooner or later, and that fright set will go well with my existing set and a half of the yellow loco freight set.

EDIT:

He's also posted the station set

That looks really good, and I think that combined with the last set would make a good two track station set up.

Edited by Redimus

The only flaw it had was piece on the bogey. The red train also doesn't have doors and many of LEGO's trains have the holes exposed in the floor for the wires. So realistically it's not, not well designed. Thankfully the front piece is perfectly designed, fit's perfect and looks amazing!

I watched Jang's review of the Cargo Train set earlier today, and I must say, I really liked what I saw! Too bad the price is insane.

I watched Jang's review of the Cargo Train set earlier today, and I must say, I really liked what I saw! Too bad the price is insane.

Any idea as to why it is so expensive?

The expense of the sets really puts me off as well, but I do have a couple theories about it.

First-of-all; I think a lot of these sets are priced with their sale price in mind. Take a look at Brickset's sale page; ALL of the sets seem to go on sale at one time or another. These sale prices are the true, fair retail price of the sets IMO. This excludes the exclusive, or D2C sets, of course. If you want to pay full whack they'll take your money, but...

Secondly; these CITY train sets are sold for longer periods of time than most. The two current ones have been on the shelves for what, four years now? What seems expensive in 2014 will be cheaper in 2018, especially when it's on discount.

Patience is on order for me. It's tough though, those blue engines are awesome!

Joe

I got the "old" pass. set for under $100 and the cargo at $130, won't be buying these until an equivalent type sale shows up. I can wait a bit, it won't kill me.

TRU jack up the price for buy one get one half off does not count. :laugh:

The expense of the sets really puts me off as well, but I do have a couple theories about it.

First-of-all; I think a lot of these sets are priced with their sale price in mind. Take a look at Brickset's sale page; ALL of the sets seem to go on sale at one time or another. These sale prices are the true, fair retail price of the sets IMO. This excludes the exclusive, or D2C sets, of course. If you want to pay full whack they'll take your money, but...

Secondly; these CITY train sets are sold for longer periods of time than most. The two current ones have been on the shelves for what, four years now? What seems expensive in 2014 will be cheaper in 2018, especially when it's on discount.

Inflation is a certain consideration with many products, though I believe train sets tend be an exception simply because of the scale. Like other toy companies, TLG play on the fact that - despite having few pieces than models of a similar cost - the fact that the completed model takes up a larger space warrants the extra cost. As such, customers make themselves believe that the product really justifies its value just because "it's big".

I don't like not having doors. I can live with holes in the floor and all that stuff, even with 'model' doors that do not really open, but it should have some sort of door. I know the red one did not either and for me that is a big issue as the mini-figures need to know where to get on and off even if it is just pretend. I may have to try and come up with something for it to have some.