The Train Station Looks appalling, the design makes it look like some Lego Clone knock off.

Im keeping well away for that monstrosity.

Edited by SnapLock

The Train Station Looks appalling, the design makes it look like some Lego Clone knock off.

Im keeping well away for that monstrosity.

Gee, now I actually don't mind it.......it does have better detailing than the last one in 2010 and it does have that modern city vibe to it......though another 4 wide taxi with those wheels ? :blush:

Edit - that Youtube page for the Mexican leaks shows the ICE......looks similar to the 2006 one apart from being PF not RC. :wink:

Edited by lightningtiger

I don't know about the rest of you, but trains with noses like this new one don't look right finishing with just a carriage at the end. Is this just a ploy to make you buy two sets, like HE, or am I being too cynical this morning....? :wink:

I don't think LEGO would make a starter set where grandma or grandpa have to buy to two to make it complete for the grandkids.

That station is looking better and better. It has a modern look with nice information signs and it has a food shop. Better equiped than the last station we had.

But I am still not convinced about the passenger train even though it doesn't seem to have any flex-track. That one-piece nose simply doesn't appeal to me, maybe it is because the window is so large. The aircraft pieces look much better.

I actually really like the looks of both the blue diesel and the new passenger engine, although on the passenger engine's nose does look a little... odd at first. I think it's because the inside is just such a plain white. I know full well that this could be the first time an AFOL has ever written the words "I wish they'd put some stickers there", but... I kind of wish they'd put some stickers in there for some controls or anything to break up the endless white. That, or perhaps make the windshield "glass" the same dark trans as the rest of the windows on the train. Perhaps that detail will change once it's no longer a preliminary photo? That said, I still do really like them both; and I would like more blue locomotive power on my tracks anyways!

The station looks really cool, too, and I see it has some more triangle supports on the sides. If those aren't being used for anything too important, it shouldn't be too much trouble at all to use them and a couple extra bricks to flip that awning sideways for a little more "proper" coverage of the station. I didn't really care for the last train station, but this one feels a little more substantial and it seems easy enough to mod out any minor complaints I may have.

Well with better pics of the new passenger train, I'm liking it more and more. I skipped RC trains, and it sounds like due to the terrible nose piece that that was a lucky break. I'm sure Lego won't make a similar mistake this time.

Coming back into Lego again after a decade off, I was really surprised looking at the new planes and helicopters and their huge molded parts. But while complaining to a friend who's been out of Lego for even longer than me, I was surprised to hear he really likes them. While I think it doesn't look Lego-y enough, he says that the more realistic look will attract more casual buyers like himself, and presumably the kids and parents these starter trains are aimed at.

The other small touches like the bike and level crossing are the kind of simple thing that Lego could (should?) throw into every passenger set, so I'm happy to see them. Also, it's nice to have straights instead of flexible track, it's just sort of funny that the platform looks really tiny and probably doesn't need a whole oval to make it fit properly. Looking forward to more information before it's release!

That Train Station looks great, much better than I thought it would be and nicer than the 2010 one.

Looks like it is pretty much a train of all flatcars. So that truck in the background is likely carrying a load that can be put on the train. While the stock car is very minimalistic, I think it works.

Perhaps most importantly, like the passenger train notice that there is no flex track in the freight train either.

Perhaps most importantly, like the passenger train notice that there is no flex track in the freight train either.

Good observation! :classic:

Looks like it is pretty much a train of all flatcars. So that truck in the background is likely carrying a load that can be put on the train. While the stock car is very minimalistic, I think it works.

I realize this is all speculation at this point, however it seems like the set images don't make sense as far as the included track is concerned. In the images, the straight part of the oval is 32 studs long, but if there were 8x straight track wouldn't it be 64 studs straight on each side?

I would be pleasantly surprised if there were no flex track included, let alone eight :O straight tracks included in these sets.

I actually like the set images so far, and would plan to purchase them as advertised.

-Kevin

This year's trains look like an easy buy. Even though we have far too many trains, my kids will enjoy these.

The passenger train will appeal, the one piece front looks slick. The blue train is a straightforward winner.

The station - dunno. Prelim pics don't show enough. I don't know if stations are that big a deal for kids, they need to be relatively low-priced, which means low part count. We have a few stations, but they don't get used too often, they kind of get in the way of the crashes and need constant rebuilding. :wink:

Edited by andythenorth

Not to mention, if there are 16 corners, 4 corners make a 90 degree turn, so if there are only 16 corners as deplicted on the prelim box artwork , how would you achieve the proposed track layout on the bottom of the box. I don't think the 2 points would connect as shown in the picture without some additional curve track or flex track?

And is that the wheelbarrow mold in Yellow? or Simpsons lime green?

Looks yellow in the prelim, 2nd look and it's lime green :-)

Edited by paul_delahaye

I also just noticed, if you full screen the image on YouTube of the Passenger Train, you can see the battery box, wires and receiver in the last carriage through the windows if you look carefully, only just noticed it. :)

I've just noticed also a green piece of freight being lowered on to the flat bed.......could it be a piece of farm machinery.......a rural train ? :wub:

The freight train is looking even more fun now. The overhead crane is looking sharp, and even a little bit of a rural theme is a nice change of pace. Looking forward to seeing more!

That cow wagon will won award of worst official lego train car, if there will be any contest like this .

I think that lego provide realistic thing from real life, this wagon looks like something that must fill marketing vision of long train but with small amount of pieces.

That cow wagon will won award of worst official lego train car, if there will be any contest like this .

I think that lego provide realistic thing from real life, this wagon looks like something that must fill marketing vision of long train but with small amount of pieces.

Actually you are right, though that's the only negative thing at the moment with the new cargo train set. Pity they didn't try for a more old school design with timber sides.

I'm just happy the cargo train has DOORS! :wub: Those green objects being lowered onto the flatbeds looks almost like spools of wire.

Those green objects being lowered onto the flatbeds looks almost like spools of wire.

I'm afraid you might be right, they do look like huge cable drums.....oh, well that will be different. :blush:

Actually you are right, though that's the only negative thing at the moment with the new cargo train set. Pity they didn't try for a more old school design with timber sides.

How easy is it to customize Lego Trains? I was thinking of using the Rounded walls pieces of Mia's Lemonade Stand to build up walls. Maybe with grilles as "windows" for a cattle car? (not sure what colors I have in those)