So I have been to several toy shops in the south of the UK over the last week. They all seem to have the new passenger train and the new station, but none of them have the new freight train? I asked in my local store and they said they ordered them at the same time but that the freight trains were not delivered and they have no date for when they will be.

It is a pity as I am intending to by a set when I am paid and I wanted to get the freight one first, but now it looks like it will be the other way around.

Has anyone in the UK seen any of the new freight trains on the shelves yet and if not any idea why they are taking longer than the other passenger one to arrive?

I wonder if the majority of the summer sets will be released in Australia in July to coincide with the half-year toy sales? Or if stores will be stocking them even earlier?

The new station and passenger train just appeared on S@H in the US, no sign of the freight train yet.

safiati posted pics of 7897 vs 60051 side by side on his BrickShelf.

http://www.brickshel...ry.cgi?f=543785

Neat to see them side by side. It does show some of the lazyness of the lego designs (stick with what worked), but it also does look like they could be on the same railroad. Too bad the new one doesn't have the gray wheels though.

The new freight and passenger trains are at my local Lego Store. No sign of the station. Interestingly, the old freight train is also there. The new blue freight train is $20 more. It does have a few more pieces. I personally think its $20 better than the yellow freight train (more train base plates, an engine I can relate to, no flex track, animals, etc), but $199 is pushing the limits of getting people into Lego trains.

Personally I don't think that the LEGO designers were lazy going back to a similar design, because they corrected all the errors and design flaws that 7897 contained. So in my view, now that LEGO has released what 7897 should have been, they don't have to go back to this design for a while.

I also find the black wheels to be perfect, as it transcends from black, to the grey to the white, which looks smooth and modern, in my most humble opinion. :blush:

I also find the black wheels to be perfect, as it transcends from black, to the grey to the white, which looks smooth and modern, in my most humble opinion. :blush:

It would have been even better if the wheelsets and buffers were Dark Bley, there are a large number of railways worldwide that use a similar colour for their underframes and running gear and it would have been a nice change from the standard black ones that have been used since the dawn of time.

Edited by Steinkopf

Went to the Lego store at westfield, west London today with the intention of picking up at least one of the trains, after seeing it in my local Toy Shop, I'd preferred to give the money direct to Lego (and get some VIP points) but they did not have any out, I asked and was point blank was told 1st June is the launch date…….Just a little disappointing to see it in an independant toy store first especially when there is a good change they have the sets out back in their stock room!

Never mind, another few pounds Lego have missed out on directly today

Lego's website doesn't have the cargo train listed either, but they have the passenger train and the train station.

There are some Lego videos of the new trains posted on Lego's YouTube page. There's a CITY mini movie and a TV advert.

Joe

The new freight and passenger trains are at my local Lego Store. No sign of the station. Interestingly, the old freight train is also there. The new blue freight train is $20 more. It does have a few more pieces. I personally think its $20 better than the yellow freight train (more train base plates, an engine I can relate to, no flex track, animals, etc), but $199 is pushing the limits of getting people into Lego trains.

No idea where in the world you are but here the last freight train is being sold for $399

No idea where in the world you are but here the last freight train is being sold for $399

Yellow cargo is $240 CAD in Canada. New blue cargo is $230 CAD. Blue has more pieces too.

Edit: Added currency for 1974.

Edited by dr_spock

There are many different kinds of dollars. Please write NZ, CD, AU or US in front of $ :wink:

There are many different kinds of dollars. Please write NZ, CD, AU or US in front of $ :wink:

Good point.

New cargo train (60052) is US $199 online and in US stores.

They're appearing in shops in Ireland now:

Station €65 (US $88,50)

HS train €125 (US $170)

Freight train €180 (US $245)

Seeing them side by side, I think the old one looks better, between the bold stripes and grey undercarriage. That said, the new nose is a huge improvement over the old ugly one.

Amen to that! Although given the restrictions imposed, I personally believe they changed just enough to make the new design look fresh. Can't wait to see this baby with 6+ passenger cars zooming around.

All new trains on shop at home uk now, nice to see the cargo train at £139.99, i was definitely expecting nearer £150

Nice surprise

I for one am looking forward to the imminent collapse in the price of used Metroliners once Serious Lego Collectors realise that the nose parts are Not Real Lego.

Get in line ;)

Passenger train looks good to me - looks very swish on tracks. Shame about lack of doors and uncovered gaps in the train floor, but those can be fixed!

Edited by BricksMcgee