I have a 1999 train that I got for $50, plus $10 shipping back in 2003-2005 range. It sucked. Not all the Trains were instant classics, a lot of them were clunkers throughout LEGO Train history.

But I'm not buying any of the new sets, they are very lacking. Not horrible, but just nothing special. However that train "station" is probably the worth thing I have ever seen in the train theme. :grin:

Many sets from end of 90s sucked

I have a 1999 train that I got for $50, plus $10 shipping back in 2003-2005 range. It sucked. Not all the Trains were instant classics, a lot of them were clunkers throughout LEGO Train history.

Many sets from that time sucked.

About the trains separated from city line, indeed I remember that in the end of 80s the trains where in a "train" theme in the catalogs, separated from the town sets.

Oh, yeah.....the late 90's.....a time to forget 80% of what Lego came out with ! :laugh:

Like Jack Stone and the Junior line...

Dan-147

The 2 new ones don't do much for me so i'll probably give them a miss. I have waaaay too many trains as it is, if there is such a thing! :laugh:

Oh, yeah.....the late 90's.....a time to forget 80% of what Lego came out with ! :laugh:

I'd say forget 95% of what they released between 1999 and 2002. Which was right when I entered my "dark age" which was really good timing! :) I did like Space Port, but even that wasn't as great as what came before or after it.

The 2 new ones don't do much for me so i'll probably give them a miss. I have waaaay too many trains as it is, if there is such a thing! :laugh:

Too many trains?!?! I don't understand that phase.

Feel free to send some of them my way. I don't have enough trains. :laugh:

As I have told many...

Much easier to find a new wife than not get a new set.

Single, I take it?

Ok, back on topic. A little off-topic is fun. :classic:

The new cattle car design is not railway prototype but it seems to be similar with other toy train animal stock cars.

LGB toy train animal stock car:

94062.jpg

Melissa & Doug Farm Animal Train:

pTRU1-12488954dt.jpg

I would probably MOD a roof so the cow can't jump out should I get the blue cargo train. Cows have been known to jump high like over the moon.

Single, I take it?

Somewhat, but also a gay male. :laugh:

I'd love the return of City Farm with a set or two that have a small train car to stick the animals on.

Edited by Bricknblue

Ok, here's the deal... I just simply don't understand why LEGO doesn't make steam locomotives anymore. :angry: I LOVE steam locomotives, and always will. And, the aggravating thing is that LEGO just doesn't make them. In the last fourteen years we've had the Emerald Night and the Constitution Train. I suppose I should include the Hogwarts express, but really the only things they changed were the wheels! Back in the Eighties, that was almost all there were: Steam locomotives, with either TWO passenger cars or three freight cars. And then, if you wanted you could buy separate locomotives and cars! Now, there was the occasional diesel or electric but generally the were steam.

Anyway, just once, I would like to see a german-design steam locomotive with a couple of passenger cars and some track made by LEGO. :sadnew:

You're forgetting the 10173 Holiday train, 7597 Toy Story train, 9467 Ghost train and 3740-3747 My Own Train.

I wouldn't include Hogwarts; it doesn't run on track and is too ugly to be called a train.

I agree though that I'd love to see a nice red/black German steam engine released as a set.

Yeah, I did forget all of those except for the My Own Train series: I forgot that those weren't made in the nineties. :look: And, I don't really count the Ghost Train, or the Toy Story Train as actual trains, I mean that Ghost Engine looked like a twisted up, evil version of Thomas the Tank Engine! :laugh: I have both the 7722 train set and the 7715 set and they might be simple, but I just love them. As-a-matter-of-fact, I would love to see a modern, power functions, re-designed 7722-esque train set! Just think about the possiblities! :tongue:

Are the My Own Train sets that old? Wow... If you include Hogwarts (which looks more like one of those cars from an amusement park, dressed up like a train) then the Ghost train should be there too.

Now let me think about the possibilities of 7722 re-imagined as a Power Functions set. Oh wait, Homa has already done just that!

3904730642_eea441fff1.jpg

Freight Train (full view) by holgermatthes, on Flickr

I wouldn't include Hogwarts; it doesn't run on track and is too ugly to be called a train.

You might want to clarify which Hogwarts express you're referring to, as there are four versions.

The first two released do not run on track, but both included (rather basic) instructions on how to motorize it, which was pretty easy with the 9V system at the time.

4708 Hogwarts Express

4758 Hogwarts Express

I'm going to assume it's one of those two which you're referring to.

The second two released do run on track, came with actual train wheels, and one actually included track and motor in the box (10232).

10232 Motorised Hogwarts Express

4841 Hogwarts Express

Note I'm not really a Harry Potter fan, but it seems like some people like to bash the HP trains, which I think is somewhat unwarranted. I think they're decent trains... especially the latter two. Really the main thing missing on all of them are the large drivers, but that's true of all steam trains prior to the Emerald Night anyway.

Edited by domboy

Is there any way to get the new train sets before August? or do I really have to wait THAT long?? :sceptic: I remember that the first review videos of the horizon express were online, like a month before it was for sale. How did they get the set that fast??

I was an older child in the Nineties, and whenever I draw comparisons between the products then and now, I have no doubt that the train products are in a much better position today.

+1