Large single piece notwithstanding, the passenger train looks great! Much better representation than the 2006 bummer of a train.

Cargo train is slightly disappointing. The freight, freight cars, etc. look even more piecemeal and disjointed than the yellow cargo train.

I LOVE IT! The cargo train is awesome! Looks like FlYelOrange on the engine too, based on the hues of yellow seen. First thing I was thinking was also 4555. The blue flat is also backwards compatible with the 1990s containers too. Can't wait!

I'm also digging the station. Love those curved slopes.

I noticed the passenger train has somo cool looking headlights, if you can fit some led lights there this is definitely a win. I was really apprehensive about the nose piece but i really like it.

Why does the station roof only go over a little of the station then goes over the track, what's the point in that. I have to say the passenger train does like good but I just got 2 of the reds ones half off so dont really need it.

Ok, so I decided to bricklink some parts, because I cannot wait until the summer :sceptic: .

I will try to make my own Maersk version of the gantry crane. I have already started in LDD,

but I have an exam tomorrow, so I will share it later when it is finished.

It is really cool that i can get the support 6004925 in white :laugh: (http://www.brickset..../?query=6004925)

Edited by Wabbajack

The passenger train is growing on me. Nice to see a dark stone gray chasis in 24 stud. (I tried to count studs in the video, not sure how accurate.)

I think the open top concept on the freight cars is to make it easier for the little kids to move the cargo on and off. Picking up a cow with the gantry crane could be fun for the cow. :laugh:

I love all the talk of straight tracks being I stockpiled up on tracks when they were dirt cheap getting rid of th 9V stock. Just which I bought another + and another stitch track.

Wow, train pictures. And it's only January. The passenger train looks plain to me. I like the current one better. Especially for the brick built nose.

I think the cargo train is ok. It will do well with kids, but personally I don't need fladbed trucks. The goods station however is such a great feature. Love it.

Top notch for me is the station. So modern. So detailed. So different from previous ones. I might actually get one.

I really like the station, now that we can actually see it.

I like it on its own but also because it can be a good starting point for a larger mod -- i.e. I mostly see the new pieces / combinations and the basic 'functions', then one can design any modern building around it and give it a personal feel, with lots of different possibilities.

Looking forward to buying it...

is the track provided with either (both?) of these sets going to be enough to create a beginning "round" set of tracks?

I really don't understand the design of the station. Why is the roof going over the track and leaving most of the platform uncovered?

The supports on the two ends of the station building are an even greater mystery. What do they represent / model? What is their function and what do they add to the design?

is the track provided with either (both?) of these sets going to be enough to create a beginning "round" set of tracks?

In the video on the set boxes you can see the outline of the tracks you can create. On the Passenger train there's 16 Curves and 8 straights - that's enough for a decent oval. On the Freight train there's 20 Curves, 8 straights, a Left hand switch and a Right hand switch - enough for an oval and a passing lane. The station comes with 4 additional straights.

Seems like a good mix to me.

After seeing the videos I'm really looking forward to the new cargo train and the new train station. I could definitely use the track too. I'm not as inclined to buy the passenger train, however if I can afford it I will most likely buy it.

@russianmaffia: Welcome to Eurobricks, seems we have another Train Fan on board, why don't you introduce yourself in another topic in Train Tech to share what you are up to with LEGO trains!

@Chomeknight: nice images indeed! I guess LEGO decided to finally allow images at Nรผrnberg?!

Really looking forward to the cargo train! Will be my first cargo train ever! :blush: However, if I look at the position of the lights,it seems to be impssible to add power function lights?

More photos here (not just trains)

Great pictures, thanks for the link! I really like the Cargo Train now. The steer and fork lift will be very useful to me, and the locomotive looks great for a starter set loco. Lots of track included, and thats always a good thing. I assume it carries a load, but the green truck seems a little out of place, and personally, I'm tired of trucks being included in a lot of train sets (Yellow Cargo, Maersk, etc) when more train-specific parts could be included. There are plenty of trucks in the City theme to deliver goods.

Overall, the blue train is definite buy for me.

While the passenger train looks nice, it's just a rebuild off the old ICE train. Not going to buy that, allready got 2 of the old ones. It almost seems like the designers are running short on idea's for trains, maybe they should take a closer look at what's going on in the community, there's a whole lot of MOC's that could have been adapted quite easily to fit in the regular LEGO train range. The cargo train is sweet but a bit smal to my taste, could use an extra 4-6 studs in length. Will probably end up buying that one and modding it a bit.

It almost seems like the designers are running short on idea's for trains, maybe they should take a closer look at what's going on in the community, there's a whole lot of MOC's that could have been adapted quite easily to fit in the regular LEGO train range.

You need to keep in mind that the featured trains are part of the City range. The lifecycle of these products tend to be much longer than other City products, and as a result, the chosen designs must have some longevity. Not only this, but the MOC's that you mention are the last thing on the companies mind when designing these trains. The target audience is children, and the products must fit in with the rest of the City range as a system.

The design goals of City products also differ. For many, it's a case of simply refreshing/updating a model so that it appears different, and also survives economic inflation during its lifecycle.

Not a huge fan of either train, i do like the cargo train's gantry crane and office, & the Rolling stock of cable rolls.

Im hoping for another Expert train to come along this year.

I like the cargo train, the green rolls of what look to be electric cable of some sort (based on the warning stickers) are neat as is the cow (although the cow would have been better in any color other than brown)

I like that TLG has been a lot more willing over the past few years to include bicycles in sets (and in colors other than red). Now if only they would do one in yellow...

I also like that the passenger train has a sign indicating bicycles are accepted on the train.

I feel that the figs in all 3 train sets are too boring (mostly because they all seem to use torsos I have too many of already). When they make new torsos for City (especially generic torsos that aren't specific to police/fire/etc), they should use them in as many sets as possible...