My kids hate the Emerald Night. Wrong audience.

You can't compare these sets to the Horizon Express, Maersk or Emerals Night. You have to see these sets for what they are: starter sets for children. A lot of children get one of these for christmas and that's it for trains.

+1 My kids hate the Emerald Night, it's not a good toy - but that's fine, and they're not the intended audience. It's for foamers. :classic:

It's a mystery why they won't sell packs of 8 straights like they used to.

Presumably someone at lego said, "hey, we can extract more money from these train heads if we bundle the track!" Without thinking that they would also turn away a number of fans as well. A few years ago in the ambassadors' forum TLG said the bundle was to keep the number of SKU's down. I suggested that they sell bags of track at S@H similar to the way the PF parts are packaged. One of the earlier ambassadors told me that lego produced the curves and straights in roughly equal numbers, so there is all sorts of craziness that could be going on behind the scenes.

I look forward to seeing the new batch of trains for 2014.

I know a lot of people are being quite negative about the nose piece on the high speed train but I for one like it, to try and replicate that style of nose in brick form would be quite parts intensive and nowhere near as smooth, the nose does remind me of the ICE 3 train and is a vast improvement on the nose pieces used in 7897 and 4511. I have personal experience with both as my son owns a 7897 and I have multiples of the 4511 set, mind you I don't use any of the nose pieces as the LBB does not operate any high speed Inter City Express trains so those parts are surplus to requirement. The only negative I can see with the passenger train is the distinct lack of doors on the train cars, this has also been the case with a number of passenger train sets including 4511, 7897 and 7938.

It would be nice to see what else is coming out with the freight train, I am curious as to what the rolling stock that comes with it looks like, the locomotive itself looks like it is loosely based on a US style Diesel Electric. It's also nice too see a new version of the older style train front, I dare say this newer version will be a very welcome element to the train community, the fact that it's a new molding does give hope that we will see element come out in a number of train sets in a variety of colours in the future, the new version also looks like it will be more versatile compared to the earlier version.

Edited by Steinkopf

I do agree about the track though. It's a mystery why they won't sell packs of 8 straights like they used to.

I wonder if straight and curved rails are part of the same mould. If so, it might explain why they wouldn't want to risk selling more straights than curves.

How could they sell an equal amount of straights and curves? Sets normally have 16 pieces of curves, and just a few straights if any.

Anyway, new year, new thread; I'll chime in and say that the track situation isn't good. I totally bypassed Lego track and went with Enlighten.

Joe

Well, I have never seen such a yellow freight train in Europe as well, the old LEGO trains and sets like the Emerald Night and Horizon Express look more like real trains (and of course the BNSF and SF too).

I should rephrase. The Yellow freight train engine looks like nothing I see here in Western USA. I'm sure the engine is based on an actual locomotive. I'm newer to Lego trains. I modeled N scale trains for awhile, but I'm only familiar with American equipment. I'm sure Lego picked yellow to help grab a kid's attention and to help make the set colorful. In my local Lego Store, I see people looking at the Yellow Freight Train, and scratching their heads. They are unfamiliar with trains like that. I think this new Blue Freight Train will do better in the USA.

In the UK we see lots of locomotives that are similar in shape and size to the Yellow cargo train. I am not an expert so do not know the names of these engines. Most do not use overherad pantographs thought and are either diesel or pick up electricity froma third line. They are not bright yellow I will admit, but the design is similar.

I'm sure the Yellow Cargo Train loco is based off of a real loco. Its just something we don't see here in the USA, especially the Western part of the country where I live. This new Blue Cargo Train has a loco that looks a lot like a US freight loco. I think it will help this set do well here where I live.

Edited by BimmerBoy

It's a mystery why they won't sell packs of 8 straights like they used to.

They do sell packs of 8 straights. You just get some free bonus flextrack with it.

At least, that's the way I look at it.

Well, straights are available on bl for as low as $2 each. But I haven't seen a person selling a whole lot of them for that cheap. I found some from a seller for $1.99 but he only had two. I just leave the track on my bl wanted list and tack them onto my existing order if they have them pretty cheap.

They do sell packs of 8 straights. You just get some free bonus flextrack with it.

At least, that's the way I look at it.

Hmm... To me that means the pack of straights is more expensive than it needs to be...

How could they sell an equal amount of straights and curves? Sets normally have 16 pieces of curves, and just a few straights if any.

Anyway, new year, new thread; I'll chime in and say that the track situation isn't good. I totally bypassed Lego track and went with Enlighten.

Joe

I also went to the "dark side" :grin: to get enough straights.

Joe

At least the new passanger train will have six straights instead of (unusable) flex rails.

At least the new passanger train will have six straights instead of (unusable) flex rails.

Where did you hear that from?

Six? That's odd, track pieces come in sets of 4...

Does that mean the new high-speed train will have two cars and a motor car (like HE does)?

Does that mean the new high-speed train will have two cars and a motor car (like HE does)?

I think he says "similar to the HE" in terms of shape or appearence (i.e. a high speed train).

I doubt they would launch a regular passenger train with a motor and two carriages only. it'll probably have the same structure as the 7938 passenger train IMO (two engine wagons and one passenger wagon).

It was on one of partial prelim pics which circle around. But it might be just placeholder or tracks number is wrong (4 or 8 would be much more likely). If you look at leaked photo, straight track could be seen under the level crossing.

^ I was just coming on to say that about the passenger train do you really think it only comes like that or do you think the last car has come away from the train.

Edited by SMC

There are other interesting things to be seen on that picture. On the left side, passenger train is leaving new train station (you can see narrow part of the roof which goes over the track and yellow taxi in the background). On the right, there small level crossing which is part of new passanger train and behind it is small passenger platform which also comes in this set. Plate with pictures of all three minifigs from the set could also be seen (there are no minifigs on this display).

New crane from cargo set is very well visible. Waggons from that set seem to be all of lower (platform) type. Truck could be seen on the left side of the train and looks like green octan fuel truck (smaller version of great vehicles one), but it might be just carrying pallet with something green). There appears to be red cabin behind it (toilet or crew shack).