I am quite sure the station will not be in a WV theme? Why? The basic train line (aimed at children) never had any special station from other LEGO themes... Just go back in time and I don't think LEGO will surprise us now.

Sorry -- my speculation above was only that Lego would release a WV train station (which would fit well with the era of that theme) before it would release a modular one. Nobody (I think) believes that 60050 will be a WV set.

So does this mean 7938 and 7939 are going to (finally) retire?

Only 7937 Train station is on the retiring soon list on USA S&H.

Probably. They will continue to sell them while they have stock of course, so it would appear the US has less stock left of the station than it has of the trains.

If trains is a theme, why won't TLG try some step-in models? There must be some way to fit in a non-powered mini train at a lower price point. The constitution did that just fine...

If trains is a theme, why won't TLG try some step-in models? There must be some way to fit in a non-powered mini train at a lower price point. The constitution did that just fine...

:thumbup: could not agree more

A small shunting diesel/steamloco with 2 small goods waggons at a low price (70 euro) would be so nice!

On a side-note, I know the trains are aimed at kids and I fully understand the lack of interest for the LEGO Company to produce loose rolling stock and other track side structures (like they did in the past), but it is starting to get boring this way. A cargo train and a passanger train (that always has the same setup, never one loc and 2 coaches) is what we have been getting for the last 15 years.

Actually, I suspect it is the AFOL's that keep the trains alive at all. Lego does not lose money with the trains, but they make more money on ninjago and such than they do on trains. However, lego looks at the insane layouts that AFOLs build for the trains, then they count the number of bricks, then they look at the free PR from shows, and so they toss enough sets our way to keep us building. As a result, the train sets have two target audiences- kids in numbers, and the smaller number of AFOLs who will part the sets out and spend a lot more money on lego than most kids. With the HE/Maersk/EN lego is providing a single gateway set for the casual AFOL (most AFOLs probably do not browse forums like this or even attempt MODs). So there is still a hole in the lineup for those ready to take the next step beyond casual AFOL but not yet ready to build a full layout of MOCs. Lego probably isn't pursuing it since these folks are smaller in number than the strictly casual AFOL and they do not spend money like the heavy duty AFOLs (or if they do, they are mostly spent out on the other sets). Of course where do the heavy duty AFOLs come from if not these folks who take the first step beyond the casual AFOL?

Meanwhile, lego has become risk averse, so if they have a formula that is working, it is unlikely they will shake it up much.

I suspect that was exactly what they intended to do with the constitution and it might be lego testing the water to see if they can afford to add a lower price point train into the mix.

This thread has reminded me that I'd been hoping for a train-related offering in the Lego Movie line.

We get a 2,000+ piece floating cow, but no train :cry_sad:

Oh well, there's always the possibility of a second wave.

Benny's Flying Taco Stand / subway car 2-in-1 anyone? :laugh:

Joe

hi guys, i am new to this fourm. Great to know that there will be a new series of trains sets coming out this year. I will buy all 3 for sure.

btw, i noticed that some of the people here have some cool lego train as their sig. how to get them ??

Nice to have some confirmation on the trains. I only hope the white high speed train doesn't come with that ugly nose piece of 7897. Then it can be very interesting. I really like the current passenger train so it must be good for me to get interested.

I wonder whether the blue cargo train will have a engine similar to 7939 or 3677. I hope it will be something like 3677 that would be perfect and I wouldn't even mind a smaller shunter like 7760 in the old days.

Cool news. But I really hope that TLG will also issue some side track structures. Like stated above: it becomes a bit boring like this and I really would buy them and I think there are a lot of other AFOL's who would buy them too. And if a kid is able to "dress up" his Lego train layout, I think that kids will be more interested in trains too. When I look at the 80's: every kid just LOVED the trains!

I guess the high speed passenger train will be another German inspired design as most are from Lego. Probably based off the ICE if its white. The blue cargo train will be interesting to see the engine type used this time. It will probably be an electric model again with pantographs as the last 2 (Red cargo train and Maersk) have been diesels.

Based on the posted piece count of the passenger train, I sense a return to a large, one-piece nose similar to 7897: Passenger Train. I hope not, though.

It would not be the end of the world, as long as the nose fit actually fit and sat flush with the train base.

I really want to love the 7897, but those flaws just stick out like a sore thumb. I would like a re-boot of a German style ICE train, however.

'Trains' is a sub-theme of City. Don't forget that all City products require a narrative, meaning that out of the box, the child understands how that particular model contributes to of a larger system. Profits aside, this is another reason why the company won't produce rolling stock in the City range, as the products would be incompatible if bought individually. Even the last Train Station had a taxi in it, which encourages a link between the passengers and other destinations in the Lego City.

With advanced Creator models such as E.N, Maersk and H.E, the selling point is construction rather than playability. Therefore, if there is any chance of seeing some rolling stock and/or train add-ons in the future, they will almost certainly be in the Creator line. To add to that, I would make a further guess that they would be in 'regular' Creator rather than Creator Expert, as there can be little benefit to selling these models in an advanced set-up.

On the topic of The Lego Movie, I would be very surprised if there wasn't some form of crazy looking train made available this year!

A stand alone locomotive like 7760 or 7755 would be nice. TLG could also release a series of wagons or freight vehicles similar to 10017 and others. They could fill a gap in the train market while they develop new train sets.

Edited by galacticslave

A stand alone locomotive like 7760 or 7755 would be nice. TLG could also release a series of wagons or freight vehicles similar to 10017 and others. They could fill a gap in the train market while they develop new train sets.

LEGO says that stand alone rolling stock and locos are not profitable (which I doubt). Therefore I think a small layout (shunter and some goods wagons) as a starter set would be nice. It would not even need a motor in my opinion.

This won't happen, because TLG needs all it's designers and production lines to design&produce millions of police- and firefighter sets, due to high demand for these themes.

They could have a burning tank wagon in the fire brigade sub theme, and a box car with a robbery for the police sub theme :classic: !

I guess our only hope for another small loco is if Jamie puts his neck out and releases one under the creator expert line. But that might not be a bad thing.

There is a scene in the Lego Movie preview that shows a top down perspective of a passenger train. The hero is rescued from its roof I think by helicopter (Camera view from helo).

In the Creator 3 in 1 series, some clever person could produce a rolling stock that has 3 construction versions. 3 car designs out of a single box. maybe TLG likes a challenge too?

Adamski

There is a scene in the Lego Movie preview that shows a top down perspective of a passenger train. The hero is rescued from its roof I think by helicopter (Camera view from helo).

In the Creator 3 in 1 series, some clever person could produce a rolling stock that has 3 construction versions. 3 car designs out of a single box. maybe TLG likes a challenge too?

Adamski

Thanks for sharing. I don't think the new trains are shown here, because the movie clip shows an 8-wide train.

I also found this to do with the train station.....includes a taxi, kiosk and shop.....

Enter the LEGO® City Train Station with a clock, ATM, train map, LEGO® City shop, kiosk and rail tracks plus a bicycle and yellow taxi. - See more at: http://shop.kiddiwin...h.wMDe14ZT.dpuf

Some more info from the town forum:

train station: Take a taxi to the busy LEGO® City Train Station, a place that never sleeps! On arrival, go up the stairs and through the opening doors. Check the time on the large clock hanging from the roof and the map of train services by the ATM. While you wait for y Browse the shops while you wait at the busy LEGO® City Train Station!

Enter the LEGO® City Train Station with a clock, ATM, train map, LEGO® City shop, kiosk and rail tracks plus a bicycle and yellow taxi.

passenger train: Travel around the city in no time with the motorized LEGO® City High-speed Passenger Train! Operate the 8-channel, 7-speed infrared remote control to power around the curved tracks at top speed. This streamlined, super-efficient train has a high-speed fro Get around LEGO® City fast in the High-speed Passenger Train!

Drive the motorized LEGO® City High-speed Passenger Train with a 7-speed infrared remote control plus circular track and way station

cargo train: Move heavy goods – and animals! – around the city with the super-powerful LEGO® City Cargo Train! This awesome motorized train with 8-channel, 7-speed infrared remote control can transport almost anything. So it’s your job to make sure the cargo is in the Move heavy goods across LEGO® City with the Cargo Train!

Drive the motorized LEGO® City Cargo Train with 7-speed infrared remote control plus rail tracks, truck, forklift and cargo train station.

Just descriptions, no pictures yet. But that cargo train suunds really nice. Wonder what the animals will be. Cows and horses?

Very nice find!!! Of course they over exaggerate it quite a bit, 8-channels is 2x 4 channels and 7-speeds is what we already have (no surprise, but anyway). Too bad that it is again a streamlined train, I would rather have liked a more mundane train for a change. The cargo train sounds great!

B.t.w. brickset also picked it up already: http://www.brickset.com/browse/themes/?theme=city&year=2014