SkaForHire

(RESULTS)The Great Mitgardia / Kaliphlin Naval Arms Race (Contest)

With the chaos brought on by the end of the Revolword War and the Nocturnan Civil War, Historica remains on edge. Recent actions by Kaliphlin and Mitgardian Privateers and sea forces have led to a stand off between the once great allies. Both sides have begun repairing their old ships, and building new vessels for what some see as an inevitable endgame: WAR!

The Challenge: Build a ship for your side. It should fit into either one of the following categories: Warship or Merchant Marine.

Warship - These are ships designed for war -- fighting platforms, privateer or corsairs, Medieval pirate ships, war cogs, early war caravels, galleys, biremes, triremes, etc...

Merchant Marine - These would be ships that primarily engage in trade, but have a means of defending themselves. In a pinch they could be called into a naval battle.

A caveat -- Guns, and cannon even more so, are quite rare in Historica. They also are dangerous on a ship because of their instability. A ship probably would not carry a cannon during this period, and if it did, most likely no more than one. You should also take into consideration that medieval ships looked fairly different from the ships of the pirate era. So even though Historica is a fantasy world, we still would like to see at least a certain degree of historical accuracy. (Think Game of Thrones) A summary about ship building in the Middle Ages can be found here.

Prizes: New tags have been created for the winners.

Titles: The member of each side with the best warship (decided by judges) will gain the title Admiral of (Guild) Fleet. The runner up will become a Vice Admiral, and the third place will become a Rear Admiral. She/he with the best Merchant Marine ship will become Admiral of the Marine. (titles subject to change).

The Contest will last until 5/31/14 anywhere in the world.

The winning side will be determined by a vote amongst Avalonian and Nocturnan members of GoH.

For Avalonian and Nocturnan folks -- The contest for you is similar. With your neighbors arming themselves, now is the time to prepare your own fleets! Who knows what may happen tomorrow.

Avalonian Categories:

Ship of the Isles - These are light and fast ships, meant to protect the many small channels in between each of the hundreds of islands that make up the region. They sometimes participate in trade, but their main duty is to cruise the channels looking for illegal activities and protecting the peoples of the region.

Warship - See Above.

Nocturnan Categories:

Swamp Boat - Powered by oars, slaves, undead propellers, the souls of children, etc... these small crafts are used in the many swamps of Nocturnus. When the local lords fight, often pitched naval battles happen in the desolate swamps of the region.

Warship - see above

Prizes: TBA

Titles: TBA

Kaliphlin and Mitgaridan members will decide which side won between the two of your guilds.

------

All builds should have their own thread, along with a post in this thread with a link to the dedicated thread. All threads should be titled with a [GNAR] in the front of the title. IE: [GNAR] The SS Minnow.

Edited by SkaForHire

Harrr ye Mitgardians, lets show them kaliphlin landlubbers what a plank is!

Can we enter multiple ships?

I would say yes, but by the due date you must let us know which ship you want considered as your best Warship or merchant marine for judging purposes, if you had more than one boat in each category. You could theoretically win both categories. Also, additional ships may help sway the vote (although we judges will only consider one ship from each applicant per category)

I would say yes, but by the due date you must let us know which ship you want considered as your best Warship or merchant marine for judging purposes, if you had more than one boat in each category. You could theoretically win both categories. Also, additional ships may help sway the vote (although we judges will only consider one ship from each applicant per category)

Ok, thanks. I have a ship I finished a few days ago, could I enter it?

Ok, thanks. I have a ship I finished a few days ago, could I enter it?

Yes, any ship built in the last month is eligible (Since Feb 1st.)

^ Great build infernum!

Are there any size limits? I am working on a little boat at the moment but I fear there will be some monstrous big ships out there.

So is Nocturnus exempt from the historical accuracy thing?

I had an awful dream last night about a war in Historica. Kaliphlin won but nearly everybody died, it was horrible.

Edited by robuko

Can we have action. For example a ship fighting a sea monster?

Yes, that is fine.

Are there any size limits? I am working on a little boat at the moment but I fear there will be some monstrous big ships out there.

So is Nocturnus exempt from the historical accuracy thing?

I will talk to Kabel, we will decide how much historical accuracy we believe should be in play for judging reasons. Hammerhand's ship would be on the larger side of things... Only the really ornate (barely seaworthy) great ships would have been any bigger.

As for small ships v. large ships, I think quality will be the highest category in our judging.

Are self made sails and not LEGO strings allowed?

Self made sails and strings are allowed, I'm always using them too.

As for historical accuracy, I said think Game of Thrones. Their ships aren't really that accurate either, but they look like they could have been realistic!

Guess I will have to try making a nice ship. Not sure if I make it an entry though, maybe I skip this challenge. Just a question, does the hull have to be brick built? Or can I also use the hull pieces in the sets?

Ok thanks for the quick reply, I will try to make a nice boat then. Drakkar like, so nothing too fancy.

Yay! And another awesome contest I will probably miss. Maybe I can do something in the five days between coming home and the deadline but I guess not..

Either way I'm really looking forward to the results, ships - to me - are one of the things that are hardest to build.. :sweet:

True, but but we shouldn't leave the ship building process to the pirate forum

Oh man, I'm so excited for this. I did tons of ship builds before starting on castle... time to take what I've learned since and go back and apply that to the ships!

(Also - are any of the guilds' colors blue and yellow? I have a blue/yellow one I was trying to do as a tribute to Sweden, but now I need to change the colors around.

Oh man, I'm so excited for this. I did tons of ship builds before starting on castle... time to take what I've learned since and go back and apply that to the ships!

(Also - are any of the guilds' colors blue and yellow? I have a blue/yellow one I was trying to do as a tribute to Sweden, but now I need to change the colors around.

No guild colors are blue and yellow, and besides, your ship can be painted anyway you would like and still represent your guild. That is why all of the warships for Avalonia are pink with flags made of tights. On a completely random note, Blue and Yellow are the colors of the City of Queenscross... but that isn't important here.