Sign in to follow this  
Captain Braunsfeld

MOC: Frigate "The Blue Mermaid"

[pid][/pid] 160A

Ahoy!

I'd like to present to you my new frigate which has been inspired by the work of our friend Sebeus I.

The ship is called "The Blue Mermaid"

bluemermaid7.jpg

bluemermaid4.jpg

Here's the little story to go along:

Captain Jones was getting uneasy.

For three hours he had been standing still to get his watercolour picture finished.

bluemermaid4watercolour.jpg

Most of his crew had disappeared to sleep under deck. The few guys remaining and waiting for the painter to finish were the navigator, the first lieutenant and two strange guys.

One was obviously gone crazy as he kept feeding his strange "Norwegian Blue" parrot.

bluemermaid15.jpg

The other one was even stranger. He had boarded the ship with the aim to find the "Temple of the Monkey God" (wherever that would be).

bluemermaid12.jpg

Surrounded by these guys, captain Jones felt a bit uneasy... but at least the painter was almost done, sailing beside the "Blue Mermaid" in his small sloop.

bluemermaid9.jpg

End of story.

:pir-grin:

As those who have seen some of my ships can tell, I have been following both inspiration from Sebeus I and the tutorial of fellow captain Green Hair.

However, I made a few modifications which made the overall build more complex for me in the end.

bluemermaid5.jpg

I have used custom-made cotton sails this time. And custom-made cannons.

bluemermaid18.jpg

I really find that the CGH-Tutorial approach gives all these ships nice shapes but lacks stability. And you can never really access the lower decks which reduces playability. :pir-look:

bluemermaid14.jpg

So, I might return to my old slope-based approach and present you some more of my reshaped old ships (if you give me some time :pir-grin: )

Your feedback is welcome!

Well done, I like her color scheme, apart from the green line on the bow but I'm guessing those are hinge plates and you only had these green ones left.

An interesting crew, as usual pir_laugh2.gif .

I'd really want to refit my frigate with a white hull but with my broken arm I can't take it off my shelf pir_wacko.gif .

Anyway, I'm also interested in interior pictures, if she has interior I mean pirate_classic.gif .

I really find that the CGH-Tutorial approach gives all these ships nice shapes but lacks stability. And you can never really access the lower decks which reduces playability. :pir-look:

It's a compromise, more acuracy almost always results in lesser playability, It's up to you which one you find most important,

I have a lot of trouble finding a compromise for one of my WIP ships, I wanted full interior but at the same time an accurate tumblehome and now I'm stuck...

Thanks for the feedback so far. Let me try to answer all of your questions:

@HomerJSimpson: 1-2 pics to follow below.

@ManInATopHat: Well, this is what I am complaining about - the design approach forbids to access the lower decks. However, you can access the captain's cabin, as this is at least one "modular" part I managed to keep alive for this ship.

By the way: The hull is separable in the middle (although I am not so sure whether this was so clever (as I complained about lack of stability...))

@Sebeus I: Ok, you caught me. I only had green hinges left... pirate_wink.gif

But you can actually wind up the anchor! (Ok, you've presented a more elaborate approach to that pir_laugh2.gif )

I have made a few building mistakes on this one. Or, to put it differently, I have deviated from the tutorial, being interested in what the design change would lead to. So you will find some hull sections being 4 studs long, which did not turn out too good in the end. Going for 5 or 6 is much more clever.

@CaptainGoldenHook:

The white hulls are coming from this new "friends" ship (and I found them on bricklink).

So, here are the pics:

bluemermaid8.jpg

You can see a bit of the interior. There are some more guns on the lower deck.

here is how to access the captain's quarters:

bluemermaid16.jpg

And this was taken while work was "in progress" (was a beautiful ship by then)

bluemermaidinprogress4.jpg

(and, as I said, you can pull it apart in the middle.)