I've seen this sentiment repeated a lot. The problem is you wouldn't be paying 100 more for one more like the Cuusoo version. You'd be paying 1000 if not 2000 more. That thing was a tank, and would dwarf every single Star Wars or Lego set, UCS included. And good luck fitting it on a shelf; it'd need its own table.

*snip*

You misinterpreted my comment, I would pay extra for a SC that 'looks like' the CUSSOO version, not wanting the exact CUSSOO SC. Essentially what I meant is maintaining the same scale and size as what we are getting but being brick built and more accurate looking, not plates and exposed studs.

While I'm not impressed at all by this set, I think some people will find it fun for its playability. I just hope this doesn't become a trend for UCS sets from now on.

I'm honestly really impressed with this set! It looks like an excellent build with great play features and movie accurate detail, not to mention the incredible line up of minifigs we get! The only thing I wish lego would have done, is replace the Green R2 unit with the new RA-7 Protocal Droid, but it's still a great set!

All I have to say about the UCS-versus-exclusive debate is that I think AFOLs tend to get too hung up on terminology, especially when it can help them justify having what would otherwise be an incomplete collection. While this does significantly change the status-quo as to what is UCS and what isn't, I foresee sets like this selling a great deal more than the old UCS based on their quality and mass appeal, and having the label will boost that even further among resellers who care more about the label and what it supposedly signifies than the contents and quality of a set.

Personally, the best piece of news from all of this was UCS being defined (again). I like the new definition as representing the hardest challenge of all Star Wars sets and not simply definitive models of vehicles.

I'm a little disappointed that Beru isn't included but otherwise, it's a fine set that's head and shoulders above the last sandcrawler. Again, not sure why people are kvetching over whether this is UCS or not. The 'playable' UCS trend started a long while back with the Republic Dropship, the second Death Star and Ewok Village (probably the most playset-esque Star Wars set ever released). If you think the UCS badge equates to perfect screen accuracy, you are wrong.

It looks amazing and I agree with the people saying it's an improvement from the previous model, but it doesn't impresses me as much as prior UCSs

Would have loved Beru (maybe a May the fourth or in a future Tatooine set) or one of the two minifigure droids, but the set as a whole is beautiful. Although, I'm not sure how I'm going to afford this, Ewok Village, Star Destroyer, B-Wing, Mos Eisley and the AT-AT....

Looks like a great set and I like they use plates instead of bricks like the old one which I have and still enjoy as a model. Most of the time I like LEGO's box art but I think this one is very poor. The scale with the minifigures is off compared to the Sandcrawler to appear bigger and I'm not a fan of the composition.

It really looks like a great set, but it's a little on the expensive side.

I absolutely love this set. :wub: I can't wait to pick it up! All that's needed for this set to be perfect is a few more droids, but I'm sure I have plenty of those. :wink:

I like the new Luke minifigure. His face is a bit odd. The smiling side I think looks really good, but the other expression sort of looks bad from most angles (Although there's one shot where it doesn't look bad), I feel like too many lines sort of make it look bad. It does look quite a bit like Mark Hamill. I do like the push to make the minifigures more accurate to the actor portraying them (Though Han is one good hairpiece away from truly looking right). Out of the main cast I think princess Leia is the only one who hasn't been updated to match the actor(She could use an update, wasn't a fan of reusing a face for her).

C3PO is also great. The legs are perfect. It is interesting that they finally gave him an episode specific variation. I've felt for a while that C3PO needs more than just one generic variation, he does change throughout the series (So ideally for the original trilogy we need one more variation with his straightened wiring configuration and than one version each for the prequel movies). Hopefully they finally start to give him more variations, but this is a great start (I'll have to find an extra pair of legs to put on my other C3PO).

I am disappointed they didn't throw in Beru, but who knows, maybe they'll make the homestead eventually (Though I don't see much play value in a set like that).

Definitely not "UCS" in look and feel. A disappointment.

This is just a really nice play set for kids.

I'd rather use the $300 as a Bricklink starting point and try my own MOC.

I think this is a great model, I'm definitely going to get one at some point.

I don't get why people are getting hung up on the "UCS" terminology. The old sandcrawler was considered a UCS set, and it's a playset. This is definitely more detailed than the old one, so I don't see why it wouldn't have the "UCS feel."

I like how they define the term, it's basically the most expensive, complicated models they produce. They have highly detailed playsets (sand crawler, ewok village, and hopefully in the future a cloud city?!?), large non-minifig scale screen accurate ships, and the sculptures like R2-D2 and Yoda.

I like the new Luke minifigure. His face is a bit odd. The smiling side I think looks really good, but the other expression sort of looks bad from most angles (Although there's one shot where it doesn't look bad), I feel like too many lines sort of make it look bad. It does look quite a bit like Mark Hamill. I do like the push to make the minifigures more accurate to the actor portraying them (Though Han is one good hairpiece away from truly looking right). Out of the main cast I think princess Leia is the only one who hasn't been updated to match the actor(She could use an update, wasn't a fan of reusing a face for her).

I kind of hope they don't update Leia's face. I don't want to start seeing cheekbones on her. :sick:

This looks like an awesome set and I can't wait to pick it up. I really like the use of the plates; they give a much more accurate representation of the SC angles.

The mini figure complement is spot on, too. Sure we could have had a Beru but she wasn't up there buying droids with Luke and Owen.

The price is steep, but it's a big set. I think it will look great on display in my collection.

I just don't get the fuss about a UCS label. Why does that label really matter so many AFOLs? Is it a completist thing?

I kind of hope they don't update Leia's face. I don't want to start seeing cheekbones on her. :sick:

They didn't for Padme, so I can only assume they wouldn't use cheekbones for Leia either.

The mini figure complement is spot on, too. Sure we could have had a Beru but she wasn't up there buying droids with Luke and Owen.

She does appear in the scene though. If I recall correctly she yelled to Luke. So including her wouldn't have been that much of a stretch. No more of a stretch than giving Luke a lightsaber in this set.

New Sandcrawler is a much better improvement over the last one. As a set I own the predecessor was a good set for its time. TLG have done a wonderful job of recreating this iconic vehicle. The colours are much better and has a vast improvement in playability. Not exactly a UCS but price and part count qualify for UCS. New figs are a great addition to any star wars set, I'm sick of repeats across multiple sets.

I'm interested to see the new instructions format, and are they going to be bind, ring or plain booklet?

The new Jawa's look good with 2 versions but no capes? Luke's head seem off with too many lines and what's that mole doing there above his lip??? And why does Luke come with a lightsaber? The new treadmill is an improvement from the last.

If the price does not stop me buying this set I will adding this to my collection ASAP. looking at over $500 AUS for it its going to take a big chunk from my wallet.

Nice, very nice. But I got to admit, Luke Skywalker face is really odd :sceptic:. Anybody agree?

I didn't like it when I first saw it, but it's grown on me. I really like the smiling side of the face, but the other side doesn't look too good. I mean I think in some of the pictures it looks good, but in a lot it doesn't.

From the first picture to now, my opinion on this new Sandcrawler has been very mixed up... I love the new model one day, and the other I don't like it.

The sandcrawler is not a very complex vehicle to begin with, just a big brown box. Yet it's such a meaningful icon of the original trilogy and the Star Wars world overall IMO, on the same level as the X-wing or the Death Star.

I like the minifigs, even if they're not very detailed and they don't make the model to me. There are just two details that are bugging me: luke's chin (it's just too much for the face) and the fact that the Jawas don't have capes.

The canadian price is also a bit too much (and I would be surprised if it ever went down). I know it's a UCS and that it has a bit more than 3000 pieces, but for such a price, I think the model shouldn't have any flaw. I think it's near perfect, though there is still something missing... It could be the windows... or the Lars homestead (or capes for the Jawas :sadnew: )

Still, the design is definitely on a "near-perfect" level, and I agree that it's better than the first version. I may give up and buy it one day...

Edited by Niloc

I don't mind the Jawa's not having capes. I mean they're wearing robes in the movie anyway, so the cape really wasn't that accurate to begin with.

I will say that the robe printing has grown on me. I was unsure when they did it for Obi-wan in the cantina set, but after seeing uncle Owen with printed robes I actually kind of like it. They still need to perfect printing on the sides though.