Yatkuu

PTC - Yatkuu/6Kyubi6 - The Shark Reef

[pid][/pid] 246C

Hello everyone!

After countless emails, several hours spent over skype, 4 photo shootings and a few extra hours of Photoshop... I am glad to be finally able to present you our entry in this challenging contest!

The Shark Reef

“Black Jim”, also known as “Shadow Jim”, Captain of the « Sea Disgrace » ended up stranded atop the Shark Reef following a course plot error from his first officer Charles Cooks. Charles is a former navigator of the Royal Navy who got fired because of a bad drinking habit… on the day of the wreck, he wanted to try a new shortcut to get to Tortuga faster because he was out of Rhum.

The moral of this story is that you should never trust a drunk navigator.. but if you do, make sure he’s well stocked with liquor.

So here they are now, stuck on this lonely reef. Black Jim sometimes flogs his slave to kill the time and keep his spirit up while Charles dreams of Rhum bottles and keeps plotting courses the Disgrace will never take.

shark_reef_1-s.jpg

Detailed views of 6Kyubi6's entry

shark_reef_3-s.jpg

shark_reef_4-s.jpg

shark_reef_5-s.jpg

shark_reef_6-s.jpg

shark_reef_7-s.jpg

shark_reef_8-s.jpg

Captain Black Jim, flogging his slave.

shark_reef_9-s.jpg

And here are the detailed views of my entry.

shark_reef_10-s.jpg

shark_reef_11-s.jpg

shark_reef_12-s.jpg

shark_reef_13-s.jpg

shark_reef_14-s.jpg

shark_reef_15-s.jpg

shark_reef_16-s.jpg

The general idea behind this set is that you can combine it in several ways. The two halves of the ship are connected via a technic pin hidden in the rocks. The "Shark head" reef on the other hand can be moved around and attached about anywhere you want to the other parts thanks to the small rock connection (the one with the cross and skull).

shark_reef_2-s.jpg

I must say that I completely underestimated the complexity of this challenge as designing the sets was only the beginning. Being able to present our idea in a convincing way turned out to be a much greater difficulty. Anyway, I am proud of what we achieved to do, I hope you guys like it!

A big thanks to my partner in crime, for all his advices as well as all the picture edits.

Thank you to Eurobricks for this opportunity and best of luck to all in the contest!

[bloggedcp][/bloggedcp]

Edited by Capt. Stabbin
Blogged

These look really fun to play with and match each other nicely. And I totally agree, a lot of the challenge was communicating and coordinating with a partner.

Well done, I like how the two parts complete the crashed ship together pirate_classic.gif .

This is a great build. It's a great concept and beautifully integrated, it's hard to believe you integrated your builds so well on style and colour. It must have been very hard to coordinate, you have done a superb job. It looks like a really fun playset too.

pirate_classic.gif

Both sets blend well with each other and they look like legitimate sets, no obvious illegal connections and they are sufficiently simple that instructions could be generated.

I adore the concept, it's nice to see someone tackle the pirate side rather than just going for "modular waterfront". The ship and sharks head lend lots of character.

My concerns lie with the weak connection between the sharks head rock and the rest of the build. TLG practice seems to be attach it securely or don't attach it at all. One stud does not a secure attachment make.

This is a great example of what communication can achieve! I love every detail, from the shark head to the two halves of the ship. I also like how you used the old style of skeleton with the dead-arms (no pun intended). Excellent work and good luck!

Fantastic MOCs from both both of you! I think particularly impressive is the fact that you two split the ship up between you. The "shipwrecking" of those two sections looks amazing and yet seamlessly connects. I absolutely love that shark head section as well! wub_drool.gif

Thank you all for the great feedbacks!

This was definitely one of the toughest challenge I ever took part in and regardless of the contest outcome I’m really happy to see the work we put into this one was worth it.

My concerns lie with the weak connection between the sharks head rock and the rest of the build. TLG practice seems to be attach it securely or don't attach it at all. One stud does not a secure attachment make.

It’s a good point. I suppose changing this connection to a 2 stud wide one would be simple enough to address that concern. I remember that when we discussed this feature we used as reference the Heroica board games that can be reconfigured at will using these standard plate connections.