Sign in to follow this  
3rdeye88

MOCing and Music.

This topic might be a little off topic. But I was wondering what you guys listen to(if anything) while you're MOCing. Do you have particular genres or playlists that you find more suitable to MOCing?

Personally, I really like my instrumental play list for "in general" MOCing music. Its comprised of a lot of video game and movie Soundtracks, and things like Two Steps From hell, just general "epic" theme music. I find instrumental stuff is less distracting than music with lyrics to it. I also listen to a lot of instrumental post rock/metal bands so when I want a Guitar/bass/drum vibe I play my post rock/metal playlist, even though there are things in there with vocals its got a lot that isn't. I'll also try and find fitting music for a specific MOC to even more inspire me or get me in the right mindset. Like for the Cerberus Chopper. I tried finding a lot of hard rock, and had Godsmack on heavy rotation, something I felt a modern day biker might listen to. You guys ever listen to music based on what might fit your MOC or what it might listen to?

For as long as I can remember, I've always liked to listen to Adventures in Odyssey while I build stuff. It seems kind of childish now, but it's tradition. :classic:

I have an unusual selection of preferred music. I enjoy many classical composers, but for more modern music I only have a small number songs I enjoy listening to.

Classical is usually conductive towards all types of MOCing, but if I am working on a MOC related to a piece of music I like, I'll listen to it while building. For example, when trying to make

a LEGO replica of Team Fortress 2's Robot Pyro, I listened to The Calm, the Team Fortress 2 Main Theme and Robots! during some of the building.

Edited by The Kumquat Alchemist

It might be interesting if this topic were moved to the LEGO General Discussion & News subforum or the Community subforum so we could see whether MOCists who specialize in different sorts of MOCs (action figure MOCs, space MOCs, historic MOCs, town MOCs, etc.) are inspired by different sorts of music.

Anyway, I don't normally listen to music while MOCing, and when I do, it's less for inspiration than because I felt like listening to music before I began MOCing. So it's mostly the same sort of music I'd listen to at any other time. Mike Oldfield has long been one of my favorite artists, especially his instrumental albums. I usually listen to his albums all the way through, since many of them (like the Tubular Bells series) are best appreciated as a single 40 to 60 minute piece of music. I also enjoy listening to soundtracks like the ones for LEGO Ninjago, Avatar: The Last Airbender, The Legend of Korra, The LEGO Movie, The Legend of Zelda, and Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney. During the Christmas season, I also listen to Trans-Siberian Orchestra.

The only music I ever really listen to on shuffle is my brony playlist, which covers an eclectic mix of genres and currently includes about a hundred songs. These days that's most of what I listen to on my own, but not usually while MOCing unless I was listening to it beforehand. As I said, I rarely specifically choose music to inspire me as a MOCist. Rather, when I do listen to music it's just whatever music I feel in the mood for at the time.

Come to think of it, I don't often listen to music when i'm building. Probably because I only get short gaps of time for it on breaks.

Though if I was going to it would probably be Celldweller's Soundtrack For The Voices In My Head Vol. 02, the best rock-orchestra-dubstep-electro-trance mishmash of awesome I've found so far.

Then again, I'd probably just put on Pandora.

I just boot up ITunes and select a playlist of music to listen to. Though sometimes when I get a new song I really like I tend to listen to it over and over again.

I find that if I try to build in theme with the music I often build something completely unrelated to it in the end. So, like Aanchir I usually just listen to what I would be listening to anyway, and lately that's been King Crimson, Rush and Buckethead. Good stuff.

I don't really listen to music when building, I wouldn't be paying attention to the music anyway since I'm preoccupied. However I don't know if I could just build in absolute silence either. For me it's fine to just have the tv on in the background or random music playing from my ipod, just have something going on in the background.

I'm actually very glad you put up such a topic as music takes a huge part in my whole "happy place" zen type of deal I got going on in my room when I'm building.

I usually end up putting on the most recent song from this channel and just listen through the songs and make playlists of the one a particularly like, the genre goes something along the lines of house, chillstep and some rather quiet tunes here and there.

Also love the occasional mix complications I find here and there, there's even a dedicated

Though not related to the channel above, I most recently stumbled upon

, which is quite frankly my favorite at the moment.

If anyone does plan on using youtube to listen to music using playlists, I'd recommend getting Addblock plus that you can easily download for chrome in the Appstore, to avoid having to listen to adds and such inbetween song, this of course is only a minor issue when listening to whole mixes. But still.

I just usually prefer something I can consider "background material" as something to exciting is more distracting.

It might be interesting if this topic were moved to the LEGO General Discussion & News subforum or the Community subforum so we could see whether MOCists who specialize in different sorts of MOCs (action figure MOCs, space MOCs, historic MOCs, town MOCs, etc.) are inspired by different sorts of music.

Anyway, I don't normally listen to music while MOCing, and when I do, it's less for inspiration than because I felt like listening to music before I began MOCing. So it's mostly the same sort of music I'd listen to at any other time. Mike Oldfield has long been one of my favorite artists, especially his instrumental albums. I usually listen to his albums all the way through, since many of them (like the Tubular Bells series) are best appreciated as a single 40 to 60 minute piece of music. I also enjoy listening to soundtracks like the ones for LEGO Ninjago, Avatar: The Last Airbender, The Legend of Korra, The LEGO Movie, The Legend of Zelda, and Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney. During the Christmas season, I also listen to Trans-Siberian Orchestra.

The only music I ever really listen to on shuffle is my brony playlist, which covers an eclectic mix of genres and currently includes about a hundred songs. These days that's most of what I listen to on my own, but not usually while MOCing unless I was listening to it beforehand. As I said, I rarely specifically choose music to inspire me as a MOCist. Rather, when I do listen to music it's just whatever music I feel in the mood for at the time.

I posted it here because I honestly don't care what MOCers outside of the constraction group listen to. I know its a bit off topic and more a general question. But I'm really only interested in this community and what goes on here. hence the posting to the action figure forum instead of general. Feel free to port the thread there though. I just wanted to hear from you guys more specifically.

Ah okay. So its not a big deal for you. Gotcha. I'm the total opposite. I feel a palpable sense of silence when I'm MOCing and no music is on. Its actually more distracting for me it being dead quiet than there being even the most frantic distorted "wall of noise" type music. I'm a musician so while I don't think I have a heightened sense of hearing(probably the opposite thanks to all the concerts and band practices I've attended over the years), I have a very learned sense of hearing. I'm extra aware of sounds. So the slightest bump or creek of the house distracts me. Music is a way to drown out those distracting noises, while also occupying that part of my brain I guess. It can also be a great mood stabalizer or uplifter. If I go in feeling crummy about what ever's going on in my day I can put on a favorite album of mine like QOTSA's Songs For The Deaf, or maybe Russian Circle's new album Memorial, which has some really uplifting parts in it and once I get MOCing I feel much better. Music is essential to my ability to MOC without distraction. Its a way to "clear out" my head space and focus on the parts.

I just boot up ITunes and select a playlist of music to listen to. Though sometimes when I get a new song I really like I tend to listen to it over and over again.

I only use itunes. With a 100+ CD collection I don't need radio, or pandora or google blah or what ever. I love the playlist feature in Itunes. I have several playlists and I listen to them quite a lot. Good ol shuffle is nice to. Then its this super eclectic random Juke box of all sorts of things. Many manners of Rock, Metal, Jazz, symphonic, some classical here and there, and even a few pop tunes from some of my soundtracks(like House M.D). I keep going back to my instrumental one for MOCing though. Nothing like some good ol LOTR, Assassin's Creed, Pirates of the Caribbean, or one of the many other Hans Zimmer soundtracks playing in the background.

I find that if I try to build in theme with the music I often build something completely unrelated to it in the end. So, like Aanchir I usually just listen to what I would be listening to anyway, and lately that's been King Crimson, Rush and Buckethead. Good stuff.

Hell yeah man! Love King Crimson. Anything before Discipline I don't care for as much. I definitely like the Adrian Belew era onward. Rush is cool but geddy's voice gets annoying after a few songs. Never listen to buckethead. Recommend anything?

Yeah my computer is in a diffrent room so i never get the chance.

You don't have an ipod/MP3 player? That and a little speaker with an 8millimeter jack should suffice. It did for me before I got a new computer and moved my laptop into my MOC room.

I don't really listen to music when building, I wouldn't be paying attention to the music anyway since I'm preoccupied. However I don't know if I could just build in absolute silence either. For me it's fine to just have the tv on in the background or random music playing from my ipod, just have something going on in the background.

Something like a TV would be super distracting for me. Its weird how music is fine for me but talking or the random noises from a TV really interfere with my "Zen" like Exxtropper said. Funny thing is my MP3 player is a Zen by Creative technologies. Lol

I'm actually very glad you put up such a topic as music takes a huge part in my whole "happy place" zen type of deal I got going on in my room when I'm building.

I usually end up putting on the most recent song from this channel and just listen through the songs and make playlists of the one a particularly like, the genre goes something along the lines of house, chillstep and some rather quiet tunes here and there.

Also love the occasional mix complications I find here and there, there's even a dedicated

Though not related to the channel above, I most recently stumbled upon

, which is quite frankly my favorite at the moment.

If anyone does plan on using youtube to listen to music using playlists, I'd recommend getting Addblock plus that you can easily download for chrome in the Appstore, to avoid having to listen to adds and such inbetween song, this of course is only a minor issue when listening to whole mixes. But still.

I just usually prefer something I can consider "background material" as something to exciting is more distracting.

I know what ya mean man. Its an important part of my Zen as well. I have playlists on itunes for my music. I also buy CD's so I have an extensive record collection. But I also download music online through torrents. If I like something after hearing it, I go buy it when I can. So for me, My itunes library is my youtube playlist. Its nice cause then I don't have to mess with youtube and if the internet is out for some reason I'm not stuck without any tunes. I can keep doing my thing.

Mostly, I MOC without music, because, as I hate having ambient noises interrupting music, I feel required to wear headphones when listening to music. In turn, that restricts my movement, due to cables and such, preventing me from getting the pieces I need. I do use appropriately themed music when I want to get an impression of what a MOC would look like from a character's point of view.

Edited by DraikNova

Mostly, I MOC without music, because, as I hate having ambient noises interrupting music, I feel required to wear headphones when listening to music. In turn, that restricts my movement, due to cables and such, preventing me from getting the pieces I need. I do use appropriately themed music when I want to get an impression of what a MOC would look like from a character's point of view.

Why do you feel required to wear headphones? You can't just have the music playing on a device in the background? There's always wireless headphones if you wanna spring for em. A headset would work to.

What kind of music do you put on for a themed MOC, do you have any specific examples?

I like listening to Pandora and have a variety of stations to fit my mood, but have found my tastes changing lately to where I don't like lyrics in my music and therefore have been listening to classical music.

I like listening to Pandora and have a variety of stations to fit my mood, but have found my tastes changing lately to where I don't like lyrics in my music and therefore have been listening to classical music.

What kind of stuff were you listening to before you migrated to classical?

I think this topic would be more in the Community Forum, just saying.

Anyways I do listen to music when I am making a MOC or most of the time listen to a video like (more of the let's play and rates), the music that i listen are mainly music that have some meaning in it but I do listen to other music like Kamelot. I don't get any ideas from any Music for making a MOC but It do give me a idea for making a Bio for them like with Nieson Dieono her bio I gotten some ideas from Three Days Grace music.

What kind of stuff were you listening to before you migrated to classical?

I listen to country, 80’s rock, classic rock, pop, and jazz. I just find it easier to concentrate and relax when I don’t have lyrics popping into my head, so that is why I've changed.

I listen to country, 80’s rock, classic rock, pop, and jazz. I just find it easier to concentrate and relax when I don’t have lyrics popping into my head, so that is why I've changed.

Ah okay. Well a lot of jazz is instrumental. And I can suggest a few instrumental rock bands if you want a rock vibe with no lyrics. Check out Russian Circles, Pelican, Mogwai, and Mono for some instrumental rock stuff. RC and Pelican tend to be on the heavier end Mogwai varies a lot and Mono is pretty chill from what I've heard.

Ah okay. Well a lot of jazz is instrumental. And I can suggest a few instrumental rock bands if you want a rock vibe with no lyrics. Check out Russian Circles, Pelican, Mogwai, and Mono for some instrumental rock stuff. RC and Pelican tend to be on the heavier end Mogwai varies a lot and Mono is pretty chill from what I've heard.

Thanks for the info! I'll be sure to check them all out on Pandora.

Thanks for the info! I'll be sure to check them all out on Pandora.

You're welcome. I suggest you start off on youtube. Then you could listen to a few of each band's songs back to back.

Why do you feel required to wear headphones? You can't just have the music playing on a device in the background? There's always wireless headphones if you wanna spring for em. A headset would work to.

What kind of music do you put on for a themed MOC, do you have any specific examples?

Because I dislike hearing background noises whilst listening to music.

For such things as kaiju, stuff like "Radioactive" or any of the Godzilla movie soundtracks. For cliché-manipulating, classy, old-fashioned villains, the Megamind soundtrack is a favorite. Fire-themed MOCs get active, upbeat music, with the speed of the music varying between slow and dramatic (stuff that isn't actually fire, like magma) to extremely hyper (actual fire. Also, F2O2-themed MOCs, which, for some weird reason, I have several of).