Sign in to follow this  
Diamond_Sun

(MOC) Medical Robot

So... this is a MOC I made in spare time. I was inspired by real-life machinery. In one of his hands is a laser and saws. In the other is a claw with two digits. The figure is about 9.5 inches tall.

Thanks for looking! :classic:

http://www.brickshel...robot_front.jpg

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Vvertex/LegoMedicalRobot/lego_robot_back.jpg

Edited by Diamond_Sun

Well, looks nice, but... I'm quite a bit into medical robots and don't know any robots like this... I mean, exo-skeletons for nurses, Da Vinci, Ri-Man, etc, but this is more like the Honda ASIMO but than in gray.

I meant inspired as in fabricated an idea off of something. My creation is quite fictitious. The ASIMO does looks a bit like it however...

This looks incredible from what I can see, but the pictures aren't nearly big enough for me to discern any detail. If you can't get a better camera, perhaps it would be worth your time to try rebuilding this model on LEGO Digital Designer (http://ldd.lego.com/en-us/). That way, you can either take larger screenshots or post the model as an LXF file so we can download it and look at the build in more detail. Plus, you could preserve a copy of the model digitally so that if you ever take it apart you'll be able to rebuild it.

The waist section is what stands out, but like Aanchir said, it's hard to see much more without bigger pictures.

Awesome MOC. Very clean looking with little deviation from the all Dark Gray color scheme. System really lends itself well to a Square Vs, round juxtaposition, I do it all the time in my system MOCs to. It looks great. How study/stable is it? It looks like just a clip and bar connection is all you've got for it's ankles which I'd imagine makes him pretty unstable.

This looks incredible from what I can see, but the pictures aren't nearly big enough for me to discern any detail. If you can't get a better camera, perhaps it would be worth your time to try rebuilding this model on LEGO Digital Designer (http://ldd.lego.com/en-us/). That way, you can either take larger screenshots or post the model as an LXF file so we can download it and look at the build in more detail. Plus, you could preserve a copy of the model digitally so that if you ever take it apart you'll be able to rebuild it.

That's what zoom is for. I'm nearsighted to the point I can get a drivers license, so I'm used to zooming things in so I can see. . Hold down the ctrl button and roll on your mouse wheel and it'll zoom the picture in. It Gets pixly, but I can see it. "Use LDD" No you learn to use a zoom button. Edited by 3rdeye88

Awesome MOC. Very clean looking with little deviation from the all Dark Gray color scheme. System really lends itself well to a Square Vs, round juxtaposition, I do it all the time in my system MOCs to. It looks great. How study/stable is it? It looks like just a clip and bar connection is all you've got for it's ankles which I'd imagine makes him pretty unstable.

That's what zoom is for. I'm nearsighted to the point I can get a drivers license, so I'm used to zooming things in so I can see. . Hold down the ctrl button and roll on your mouse wheel and it'll zoom the picture in. It Gets pixly, but I can see it. "Use LDD" No you learn to use a zoom button.

I know how to use a zoom button, and I did just that. That still didn't make the details of the original images any clearer to me. You might not realize, but between my post and yours, the original post was edited with better pictures. The original images were fewer than 250 pixels by 250 pixels in size. The new pictures are much better.

All I tried to do in my original post was offer some advice that I thought might be helpful. No need for the attitude.

Anyway, now that I can see the model a lot better, it looks fantastic! I love the design of the abdomen and the shoulders, and the tools on the hands seem nice and precise, perfect for medical applications.

Do the hinges you used for the knees support its weight well in all poses? I have not seen those hinges used very often for action figures and mecha. They seem to work all right for the elbow joints, but those don't have nearly as much weight to support.

I also wonder if using ball joints for the ankles might allow the model a greater range of poses. Currently, if the stance were widened much, it seems like the feet would not be very flat on the ground. I know real human ankles don't flex nearly as much as a LEGO ball joint, but real human feet are also somewhat rounded on the bottom and are more flexible so they can offer greater support even if the legs are spread far apart.

I used a bit of super glue for the joints to maintain support, but I didn't make the model to be flexible. Perhaps I will use Mixel ball joints for the ankles. Thanks for the suggestion. :classic:

I used a bit of super glue for the joints to maintain support, but I didn't make the model to be flexible. Perhaps I will use Mixel ball joints for the ankles. Thanks for the suggestion. :classic:

Mini-ball joints might work. This is a system MOC so you'll have no trouble incorporating them. If you do switch out the ankle joints for the mini-ball joint pieces please let me know how it holds up. I'm curious to know how much weight those things can handle and how they perform when weight is put on them. Edited by 3rdeye88