Here is my latest project/MOC. Again it is a re-release and also with instructions.

Check mocplans for the instructions and rebrickable for the parts list!

Cheers, Ingmar Spijkhoven

Introduction:

pict00.jpg

Model US Truck T1 MkII with LEGO® Power Functions® which is a rebuild and revised version of US Truck T1 I finished back in 2009. This model represents the more aerodynamic US truck models like for example the Freightliner Cascadia. Like with all my models this is build in scale 1:17,5.

This specific model comes with building instructions available at mocplans.com plus the inventory list available at rebrickable.com.

This model features: solid axle suspension on all axles, PF powered driving with power transmitted independently to both rear axles, Ackerman geometry on steering axle, Servo powered steering, fully functional fifth wheel, modeled engine, detailed cabin interior and 3 light units.

History of this build

pict01a.jpg

To start with a little history on how this model was designed and developed in the first place and how US Truck T1 evolved into US Truck T1 MkII.

Back in 2009 I started building US Truck T1 and I really wanted it to have this more aerodynamic looks. From the very beginning of building MOCs I always tried to implement as many realistic features as possible. For example both version I and II of US Truck T1 features full solid axle suspension, Ackerman steering, realistic and working fifth wheel, openable hood, PF drive, PF steering and 3 light units.

Design & development process

pict02.jpg

Like with all builds, first a couple of design decisions had to be made:

A) First of all I choose not to build this model after a specific brand or type. What I knew is that it had to be a typical US style truck with aerodynamic looks. Inspired by all the amazing US truck brands I just started designing my own truck. Because of my love for work and heavy duty trucks, specifically the Kenworth C500, this will always influence my builds.

B) What scale to build in is another obvious quest when building models in general and also for building models using LEGO®. Since most work trucks have a little bigger and heavier wheels my favorite scale for building models became 1:17,5 because this suites me best. Also did I decide to build all my creations in this specific scale. To me it works great when models can be combined.

C) I had to figure out what color scheme would work best for model US Truck T1. To start with I do not like building with Black colored items what is the obvious color for the chassis. Never the less this trucks chassis was build in black. With the color of the chassis set I could move on to the colors of the body work.

D) Solid Red it became for the body work and I decided not to add any others. Basically because back those days I was very limited in how to add colors to models because of the way I build. Developing as a builder the abilities to add more color increased. I have been told the color of this first edition was a little boring and I agree on this.

Why US Truck T1 MkII?

pict03.jpg

In time my building skills develop and so did many solutions I could apply to any build. This specific model could be so much better if I would have build it these days.

Because of so many improvements I thought it would be so nice to rebuild this creation. Rebuilding this MOC made me decide to name this updated version US Truck T1 MkII (it is based on US Truck T1, but revised in so many ways). Also did I decide to make building instructions available for it as well! Since 2009 the year in which I finished my first build ever I have been asked for instructions so many times.

The process of creating instructions basically forced me to completely revise and rebuild it. Because of this process this new version is way much better and therefore very nice to build. This all together gave birth to US Truck T1 MkII and I am happy with both products: The revised truck itself and the instructions I sell for you to build this model too.

Solid axle suspension

pict04.jpg

This truck, US Truck T1 MkII, is build with full solid axle suspension on all three axles, so including the front steered axle. For this suspension to work I did a lot of research, trial and error and engineering. One major problem I noticed was the quite large size of LEGO® Technic Shock Absorber 6.5L. There was no way I could jam six of these into a chassis that is only four studs in between both chassis beams together with everything else that should be in there. Quite rapidly I came up with the idea of using Rubber Belts instead. To achieve this the movement needed to be converted so I came up with a lever constructions. Normally a spring is pushed in and comes back, but a rubber belt is stretched and comes back.

Color scheme

pict05a.jpg

As I mentioned before I have been told the color of this first edition was a little boring and again I agree on this. Developing as a builder the abilities to add more color increased as did the urge to actually do so. So I started to combine different color combination with this solid Red body work of the model. Always keep in mind to check the availability of parts in a specific color. This forced me to change the color scheme a couple of times. Some key parts in a design may not be available in a specific color or some others might be very hard to get. With the instructions in order to make others build this model as well in mind hard to get parts is an unwanted side effect.

Finally I ended up with the addition of both Dark Red and Dark Bluish Gray. These colors really brighten up the Red and give US Truck T1 MkII a classic feel to it.

Steering system with Servo

pict06.jpg

A part that I have been looking out to for so many many years is finally available. The LEGO® Power Functions® Servo (part #99498c01) has been release since August 2012. This amazing new electric motor enables the opportunity to create a much more realistic steering system that is also less space consuming.

Aligned with the trucks chassis the Servo is sitting inside of the cabin right behind the modeled engine in between both seats. With a 90 degrees conversion the motion of the Servo is transferred to the steering axle.

One other improvement to avoid the use of hard to get parts was applied. In order to give the steering axle the Ackerman geometry I initially used Gear Rack 1 x 12 with Holes (part #32132). This has been replaced to make building US Truck T1 MkII with the instructions I sell more attractive to others.

Modeled engine inside

pict07.jpg

As mentioned above the Servo requires less space and is sitting inside the drivers cabin. Because of this US Truck T1 MkII is provided with a modeled engine.

This truck model is powered by a CAT® CT15 with this very appealing yellow color to it. With the hood opened it really catches the eye. External air cleaners would decrease this model's aerodynamics and with it the full efficiency so these are not mounted. On top of the CAT® CT15 engine there is this internal air cleaner system.

The modeled engine is a small object that really improve the realism of this truck model. The engine is very nice to build and to give it those realistic looks a total number of about 120 parts is used. Engine is detailed with for example engine oil dipstick, fan, fan belt, pulleys, hoses, oil filters including by-pass oil filter, turbo, exhaust manifold and so on. Together with much more engine bay details which are added the looks are phenomenal.

Openable hood

pict08.jpg

Even though my models are not entirely smooth, so LEGO® studs are allowed to be visible, the hood does not show any studs at all. This really makes the hood elegant. With hinges the hood is openable and not without a reason. What is the use of a modeled engine siting inside if it is invisible. Like with the original version US Truck T1 MkII has an openable hood to give access to both engine bay and engine.

With the hood opened one can clearly see the inline 6 cylinder engine with a displacement of 15.21L. With a horsepower range from 450 up to 550 HP and this engine has a torque range from 1550 to 1850 lb-ft. (1202 - 2508 Nm) at 1200 rpm peak torque.

Together with the engine a lot more engine bay details are visible. These include break fluid reservoir, windshield washer container, internal air cleaner system and steering shaft.

Easy battery box access

pict09.jpg

One key feature that is important when building models with electric features is how to access the battery box as well as the on/off switch located on top of it. In order to make this build achievable for as many builders as possible I sticked with the battery box with 6x AA batteries, LEGO® Power Functions® Battery Box with Orange switch (part #59510c01). Easy to get, used in many sets and a part with a nice price tag to it.

The battery box is sitting inside the sleeper. Easy to access by removing a hatch on top of the sleeper. It basically is a part of the roof that can be removed and the battery box is in sight as well as the on/off switch. For those who rather use the LEGO® Power Functions® Rechargeable Battery Box (part #84599) the model can easily be modified.

Final improvements

pict11a.jpg

One of the noticeable improvement is the windshields window frame. First build used Bar 4L (part #30374) which are basically to small for the job. The new approach looks solid and is therefore more realistic.

When TLC released LEGO® Power Functions® IR Speed Remote Control Unit (part #64227) back in 2009 I was really excited about it. First builds also used a XL Motor like this model to drive but with the use of Power Functions Remote Control Unit (part #58122c01) one has to be very careful. Because of the enormous strength of the XL Motor the drive line could be damaged easily. For this very reason the drive line was geared down quite a lot. US Truck T1 MkII has less gear reduction and is therefore quite a bid faster then its predecessor. With the use of the Speed Remote Control Unit both driving and steering became very realistic and therefore the playability of this model is extremely increased!

Building instructions

pict12.jpg

To give you an idea of how the instructions for this model will look like here is a preview. Creating these instructions both quick progress on your build and being easy to understand were the main goals. Early in the building process you will see what it is that you are building. You will be very excited from the moment you start the build of T US Truck T1 MkII till you finish it with a total number of parts of about 2250 pieces.

To achieve this a lot of floating items are used, with added arrows to show where these items are suppose to be. Together with a lot of so called call outs (the smaller windows within a step that shows the assembling of a smaller sub part of the build) together with multi part steps (not only one part at a time) the build will be in a flow.

Check mocplans for the instructions and rebrickable for the parts list!

What a shiny beauty! Do you ahve more pic of the suspension? You used rubber belts or rubber bricks?

Thank you all for these kind words. Great that you see that you like them, very nice... :thumbup:

It is sitting here right next to me on my desk and while I type I once in while take a look at it... :wink:

What a shiny beauty! Do you ahve more pic of the suspension? You used rubber belts or rubber bricks?

Yeah it is sort of my "secret"... :blush: ...Okay you win, to be honest, I use them both!

Awesome! I might need to buy these instructions as a gift for a friend :)

You might want to be careful with this since the instructions you buy are online instructions. So please don't be disappointed...

Aww, you use only mocplans?

Yes I do, I know you do not like it very much :wink: but I do. Please let me explain! :blush:

Having the instructions online give me as the designer the change to update the instructions when needed. For example for replacing hard to get parts with parts that are more common. Building a new model make me realize that an older model needs an update. So with this T1 MkII I came up with an idea that replaces a hard to get 12L gear rack. This will be implemented in T2 MkII as well and gives more builders the change to build this MOC.

I am the kind of guy that likes that a lot, it is not static, but it is dynamic. I want all you guys have the best at all times and that includes updating these building instructions. Downloading a PDF file (and someone might even print it) is not my approach. Use a smart phone or even a tablet and you are amazed. After checking all parts and instructions I completely rebuild my models. I am sitting downstairs, cosy with my wife reading a book or so, at the table with our tablet. This is so much fun building the model over and over again...in my humble opinion.

I really hope you understand my point of view. I don't ask you to agree, that is up to you off course...

As you have done before...........beautiful truck, I'm printing off the parts list now. When I purchased parts for your first truck, I ordered extra parts of the ones that are hard to find and/or where unusual.

I can't say I'll be building today, ( I will be gathering parts though ) but give me a few weeks.............this will look really good sitting next to your other re-released first truck and trailer. :wink:

Yes I do, I know you do not like it very much :wink: but I do. Please let me explain! :blush:

Having the instructions online give me as the designer the change to update the instructions when needed. For example for replacing hard to get parts with parts that are more common. Building a new model make me realize that an older model needs an update. So with this T1 MkII I came up with an idea that replaces a hard to get 12L gear rack. This will be implemented in T2 MkII as well and gives more builders the change to build this MOC.

I am the kind of guy that likes that a lot, it is not static, but it is dynamic. I want all you guys have the best at all times and that includes updating these building instructions. Downloading a PDF file (and someone might even print it) is not my approach. Use a smart phone or even a tablet and you are amazed. After checking all parts and instructions I completely rebuild my models. I am sitting downstairs, cosy with my wife reading a book or so, at the table with our tablet. This is so much fun building the model over and over again...in my humble opinion.

I really hope you understand my point of view. I don't ask you to agree, that is up to you off course...

I do and i agree but i am old school and like real books to :P I will probably still get it at some time and use the ipad/note or the TV for building it :) It's always nice that you keep them updated to. Just not very good at buying things i can't "have" if you understand

ALERT:

I am very sorry for the inconvenience, but somehow the parts list at Rebrickable.com doubled the quantities. Probably I did mess up :blush: and I am getting this fixed with the owner of the site ASAP.

Again sorry and allow me to get this fixed, I'll let you all know by replying to this topic again with the "it is fixed news"... :wink:

I do and i agree but i am old school and like real books to :P I will probably still get it at some time and use the ipad/note or the TV for building it :) It's always nice that you keep them updated to. Just not very good at buying things i can't "have" if you understand

Thanks for being angry, that is okay... :wink: ...at least you are honest and I like that a lot. If you want to build any of my models, I leave you know choice. Sounds great building a MOC in front of the television!!! :thumbup:

Edited by 2LegoOrNot2Lego...

Very very good looking truck! I especially like the engine room details and the doors! :thumbup:

ALERT:

I am very sorry for the inconvenience, but somehow the parts list at Rebrickable.com doubled the quantities. Probably I did mess up :blush: and I am getting this fixed with the owner of the site ASAP.

Again sorry and allow me to get this fixed, I'll let you all know by replying to this topic again with the "it is fixed news"... :wink:

Okay, you can start building!!! Thanks to the owner of Rebrickable.com the mess up has been fixed. Just for you to know! :thumbup:

Thanks to all for the kind words!!!

A beautiful Lady in Red!

:grin: Yes, she is, isn't she?

Incredible work! :thumbup:

Like your other Trucks too :classic:

Surely one day I'll build one of your truck....but I've to buy a lot of non-technic parts :sceptic:

Looking forward to you next projects :classic:

Greetings

Alex

Aah I've been waiting for this!

61% of the needed parts already in my box so it seems that I will build this before the MKII,

(But I don't have so much spare time that I would like)

A dream of mine is to have all your wonderful MOC's!

Surely one day I'll build one of your truck....but I've to buy a lot of non-technic parts :sceptic:

Looking forward to you next projects :classic:

It would be my pleasure if you did build one of my trucks some day. Even though I understand you miss a lot of parts. This latest MOC has about 2250 parts and mostly non Technic, so I wish you luck... :tongue:

61% of the needed parts already in my box so it seems that I will build this before the MKII,

(But I don't have so much spare time that I would like)

A dream of mine is to have all your wonderful MOC's!

Well is in an honer to read this!!! I guess you are right, it is nice to have a bunch of these models in your home. Any progress on the US Truck T2 MkII build in Black and Red? I wish you the best with collecting the other 39% and finding yourself some spare time. I can only encourage you because these models are so much fun to build! Even for me as the designer, I really love building my models again. It is to check on the parts list and the instructions themselves, but I really enjoy it, it is not to much to ask... :wub:

Edited by 2LegoOrNot2Lego...

Hi Ingmar!

Sorry to say that I've not built the T2 yet :(

(The chassis is about 70% done)

Spent the morning bricklinking the missing pieces so hopefully I'll be able to start the build of this red beauty some time this month!?

Best regards!

Sorry to say that I've not built the T2 yet :(

(The chassis is about 70% done)

Spent the morning bricklinking the missing pieces so hopefully I'll be able to start the build of this red beauty some time this month!?

No problem at all! You can only spend you time and money once, so do what ever you like :wink:

Did you enjoy the build of the chassis so far?

Are you going to build this T1 model without any color changes? Red and Black is more your league as I noticed before with the T2... :sweet:

Keep us posted, thanks in advance! :thumbup:

Hi again! :D

Yes this T1 i will build as you intended it too be.

As you've seen I have alot of red and black parts so this suites me perfekt!

And i like it alot!

Will post some pics later on!

Another thank you for the kind words!!!

Yes this T1 i will build as you intended it too be.

As you've seen I have alot of red and black parts so this suites me perfekt!

And i like it alot!

Will post some pics later on!

Nice! Yes please share it with us, thanks...